Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Zip ties to install leather seats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 02:30 PM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

Default Zip ties to install leather seats?

Someone asked me if I planned to use zip ties to install my GT take-off leather seats instead on using hog rings. I had never thought about using zip ties before but it sounded like a good idea to me. Has anyone who installed their own leather seats used zip ties? If so how many are required to install both front seats?

Thanks
Old 11-07-2007, 04:39 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Default RE: Zip ties to install leather seats?

Hog rings.
Zip ties go south really qiuck and break.
Hog rings and some hog ring pliers.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Fyrewalker
1st Gear Member

I was the one who asked, because I have heard of people doing so, however, I agree with 157db this time, use the hog rings, it is certainly much more substantial. Do I think zip ties would work, yes, I do, especially if you used the heavy duty kind and used say, two zip ties for every hog ring you remove, but for mine, I used the hog rings, peace of mind is rather priceless. I would hate, really HATE to have done all the work, put it all back together (with zip ties) and have them break and make me do it all over again. While it wasn't that big of a deal to do the job, it is one of those jobs you really don't want to do again.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:35 PM
pangtong8

has anyone taken em to get em installed at a shop?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:33 PM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pangtong8

has anyone taken em to get em installed at a shop?
I have not done the front seats yet but my wife and I did the rear seat, bottom and back, in about 2 hours total. So I would at least do the rear seat before taking them to someone to install. I removed the rear seatbacks from the car to recover them. It seemed easier than trying to do them in the car. With the bottom of the rear seat removed you can see the two bolts that hold the seatbacks in. There is one on each side near the sides of the car. Remove the bolts and slide the seatbacks off the pins in the center that holds them on. Hope this helps you. I'll post after we do the front seats.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:58 PM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db
Hog rings.
Are you saying that the thick nylon zip ties tend to break? I would think that the heavy duty nylon zip ties would last a long time. I was wanting to get around trying to find and buy hog ring pliers and the hog rings. My front seat covers came with the foam attached although I have not opened them up yet but I can see the foam.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Supercruzin
2nd Gear Member

I think the zip ties would work as long as you get the good one's. you could also adjust the leather around if you needed. Honestly, Hog rings are real easy to use as long as you get a decent set. The cheap ones don't tend to hold the rings very well.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Fyrewalker
1st Gear Member

+1 on that heavy duty zip ties could work, however, because the hog rings are easy enough to install I felt it the better route. Either way the install was pretty simple and the look and feel is soooo worth the effort. That rocks that you got the foam included with the front seat backs, not all take offs include the foam, this will save you from having to do hog rings on the front seat backs.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:02 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: DylanFan

ORIGINAL: 157db
Hog rings.
Are you saying that the thick nylon zip ties tend to break? I would think that the heavy duty nylon zip ties would last a long time. I was wanting to get around trying to find and buy hog ring pliers and the hog rings. My front seat covers came with the foam attached although I have not opened them up yet but I can see the foam.
A zip tye is not a zip tie is not a zip ties. They are very different in the
plastics used to manufacture them. Zip ties around round objects
hold up better than zip ties that are bent in any fashion for the purpose
they are used for. Replacing hog rings with zip ties will require the zip ties to be bent?

You would have to get the good Thomas&Betts ozone and UV stable ones
before I would even trust them for a few years not to break.[:'(]
The middle of the road - easily available at auto zones and wal marts - are not
the good ones and the go south quick once exposed to the enviroment.
Been there done that. But hey, its your project and you asked.....
Good luck.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:58 PM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

I thought the hog rings/zip ties were under the seats holding the leather to the frame. I would think they would not get much sunlight. Now ozone I don't know what effect it would have on the ties.

Quick Reply: Zip ties to install leather seats?