Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

5 speed automatic. how to?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:02 AM
farzero

Default 5 speed automatic. how to?

ok guys this might be total noob question... I have an automatic v6 2007 and I know theres like park, reverse, neutral, drive, 1, 2, 3, over drive on/off ok so whats the deal with that? should I not use the 1,2,3 gears and stick to just Drive? is it a 5 speed automatic? how do I use it? like 1st gear its like from 0 mph - 25mph ish then second gear like 25-40 ish then 3rd is like 40- 55 ish not really sure exact numbers, but the question is like how do I harness the power of my stock automatic transmission to its max? I dont have a tuner, yet...
Old 11-26-2007, 12:08 AM
socool9004
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 5 speed automatic. how to?

leave it in drive, youll destory your tranny, ford makes a pretty crappy automatic, if you want harder shifts, or different shift points you will need a tuner.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:55 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

I basically leave mine in drive. I don't have a tune or a tuner yet, but I intend on getting one at some point. You kinda learn to manipulate the gas pedal and the RPMs with your foot to achieve different effects for maximinzing the potential of your transmission and the power of your engine. At least I do. I've kinda gotten to the point where I can get it to shift where and when I want it to, and now I can usually get it into the gear I want it in, but I've been driving my car virtually every day a good twenty miles a day for two years. So I know the car really well. It's pretty much just second instinct now.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:33 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Just put it in drive. If it's snowing, it's sometimes helpful to leave it in 3.
For some aggressive city driving, or hills/back roads, turning the OD off can be helpful. You can also down shift into 4th by pressing the OD button on the highway. It's smoother than flooring it.

We have a 5 speed automatic. Just let it do what it was designed to do. Shifting throught the gears manually (like you suggested) will be much less efficient than letting the car do it. Save up for a tuner an tunes from on of the sites vendors (brenspeed, for example).. and the shifting will be better...much better.

ORIGINAL: farzero

ok guys this might be total noob question... I have an automatic v6 2007 and I know theres like park, reverse, neutral, drive, 1, 2, 3, over drive on/off ok so whats the deal with that? should I not use the 1,2,3 gears and stick to just Drive? is it a 5 speed automatic? how do I use it? like 1st gear its like from 0 mph - 25mph ish then second gear like 25-40 ish then 3rd is like 40- 55 ish not really sure exact numbers, but the question is like how do I harness the power of my stock automatic transmission to its max? I dont have a tuner, yet...
Old 11-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i used 2nd when i was snailing along the freeway going uphill in heavy traffic. other than that, i keep it in drive and only turn the O/D off when i want a little more aggressiveness.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:37 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

ORIGINAL: socool9004

leave it in drive, youll destory your tranny, ford makes a pretty crappy automatic, if you want harder shifts, or different shift points you will need a tuner.
+1

ORIGINAL: VictoriaRR

I basically leave mine in drive. I don't have a tune or a tuner yet, but I intend on getting one at some point. You kinda learn to manipulate the gas pedal and the RPMs with your foot to achieve different effects for maximinzing the potential of your transmission and the power of your engine. At least I do. I've kinda gotten to the point where I can get it to shift where and when I want it to, and now I can usually get it into the gear I want it in, but I've been driving my car virtually every day a good twenty miles a day for two years. So I know the car really well. It's pretty much just second instinct now.
+2 I am the same way, it's easier and safer to just learn your car.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:11 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

i leave mine in drive . and when i want to play i take of the OD and the TCS. also you will be amazed the differance a tne makes with the shifting! and it was the same befor the SC install
Old 11-26-2007, 06:20 PM
myredgt
3rd Gear Member

http://www.autopressreleases.com/bas...ase.asp?ID=609

Old 11-26-2007, 06:32 PM
tdaddy
2nd Gear Member

If i want a more aggressive shift I just turn overdrive off and i do the same in heavy traffic to save gas. As far as when ur tranny shifts, in the owner's manual there are recomended mphshift times for the manual for optimum mpg and i would think that the auto shifts around these speeds as well.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:27 AM
proper
2nd Gear Member

so hypothetically speaking if i wanted to race my friend at a back lot where its empty and it happens to be a 1/4 mile strip, i would take of Over drive and just gun it ? i wouldnt put it back while racing him ?

Quick Reply: 5 speed automatic. how to?