Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:40 PM
tac0
1st Gear Member

Default Need Help

The holidays are coming up which means presents.

I showed my dad the C&L CAI and he just thought it was dumb and wouldn't do anything. He says he knows this stuff. (He actually is a mechanical engineer and is very smart...)

This is the page he saw.

Can anyone make me a good argument to use against him so I can get it?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:56 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need Help

Yes it does do something.The MAF housing is larger, more air goes in. Because of this, it leans out the fuel to air ratio, so you have to retune to compensate.It is essentially allowing more air and fuel versus what it was getting with the stock restrictive parts. The results weren't subtle, but not mind blowing. It is much more spirited now. More so with the 93 octane tunes.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:50 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

I am very old school(61 years)and though the same way your dad does. Boy was I wrong! Gone are the old days of hopping a car up. These things(cai,tune and muffler)make the car run so much better. If your car is an automatic it get rid of that dangerous transmission lag. The response is improved so much that isdrives like a different car. The added power with a 93 tune is real nice too. This is the one thing you do if you do nothing else to your car. I have had my Mustang since Nov.05 and did not do this mod untill this summer but sure wish I had done itsooner. IT WORKS!!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:42 PM
DelStang86
2nd Gear Member

hah. are you sure he isn't a civil engineer or something? The problem with most engineers is that they design but never do. My employer works as a mech. engineer, but fortunately he does get his hands dirty from time to time. Essentially, the car is tuned to burn at a 14.7:1 air to fuel ratio. This is to insure that the burn is a stoichiometric burn, producing the ideal amount of exhaust emissions, in addition to achieving fair fuel economy. By opening the intake, you're permitting more air to enter the combustion chamber. The MAF will calculate the air flow, and compensate for that airflow by enriching the fuel end of the mixture.

i.e. let's assume we know nothing about the actual displacement of the engine; however, it does flow at 500cfm. If we were to increase the size of the intake track, it increases to 550CFM. now, knowing that we have increased the cfm by 50, and according to our given ratio (14.7 lbs air per lb of fuel), we have increased our airflow by 9.1%, and the pcm will adjust the pulse injector rate to compensate for the increase in air. That is why we have meters, to control mixture, exhaust output, to insure that the engine doesn't "knock," etc.

I hope this helps. Then again, he might just be like one of the history professors I have at my university, who believes that anybody that would spend their time modifying cars is a "mongoloid idiot." Some people just don't understand.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:52 PM
tac0
1st Gear Member

Do you guys think the people at Tires Plus would know anything about CAIs and tuners?
I'm thinking that I'll ask to split the price with him or something.