Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

?????

Old 01-11-2008, 11:01 PM
youngmustanger
1st Gear Member

Default ?????

When mycar is at a stand still and I turn the wheels the body will flex. If I turn the steering wheel to the right the body will flex towards the left, if I turn the steering wheel to the left the body will go right. Now I know that the car might move a little, but this motion seems to bemore ( I mean not normal). I took my car in to the stealership and they told me that it was due to the bigerwheels/tires, but my car was doing thiseven with the stock rims/tires. My question is is this normal? Does anyone els have this problem?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:45 PM
Favre4TD
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ?????

nope

17's on mine
Old 01-11-2008, 11:57 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

depends on how much body roll your talking... sway bar prevent body roll.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:02 AM
SeanoStang
4th Gear Member

i have front and rear sways so i have no clue what ur talking about
Old 01-12-2008, 03:18 PM
YellowFlame
2nd Gear Member

I seriously doubt the body is flexing. The Mustang body is more rigid than most, even the 'vert.

What I bet you're seeing is perfectly normal and everyone's car does it, but most just don't notice it. Its mostly an illusion.

2 reasons-
Google front end alignment, specifically caster and steering axis inclination.
When you turn the wheel, the tires have to sort of roll up onto their sidewalls a bit due to caster. This creates a lifting motion.
When you turn your wheels, the right side suspension bushings take a load differently than the left side, creating some torque flex in the bushings. This is created/exaggerated by the steering axis inclination being different one side from the other.

You don't see any of this when you're moving, the tires rolling allow some slip to prevent the suspension loading up. The effect is most noticeable when your foot is on the brake, the tires can move to releave the stresses. The wider the tire the more the effect is exagerated.
Try it on a 4x4 with huge tires, the effect is Really big!
Old 01-12-2008, 03:33 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: YellowFlame

What I bet you're seeing is perfectly normal and everyone's car does it, but most just don't notice it. Its mostly an illusion.

Google front end alignment, specifically caster and steering axis inclination.
When you turn the wheel, the tires have to sort of roll up onto their sidewalls a bit due to caster. This creates a lifting motion.

When you turn your wheels, the right side suspension bushings take a load differently than the left side, creating some torque flex in the bushings. This is created/exaggerated by the steering axis inclination being different one side from the other.

You don't see any of this when you're moving, the tires rolling allow some slip to prevent the suspension loading up. The effect is most noticeable when your foot is on the brake, the tires can move to releave the stresses. The wider the tire the more the effect is exagerated.
Try it on a 4x4 with huge tires, the effect is Really big!
+1
Camber and Caster is causing your front end to move
when you turn your wheels from lock to lock at zero speed.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:03 PM
youngmustanger
1st Gear Member

Ok I got it it's normal. You all took a load off my shoulders, I realy thought that there was somthing wrong with my car. Thanks again for all of the info.

Search this Thread