Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A little help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:03 AM
Albion47

Default A little help

My ride, '08 4.0 V6, GT 5-speed, factory GT Duals. I plan on adding a 70mm throttle body and CAI, my question is will I need a controller?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:01 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: A little help

ORIGINAL: Albion47

My ride, '08 4.0 V6, GT 5-speed, factory GT Duals. I plan on adding a 70mm throttle body and CAI, my question is will I need a controller?
First off - Welcome to Mustang Forums!

To your question. Which CAI you buy will dictate as to whether or not you'll need a handheld tuner or controller (at least that's how I am reading your question). I don't have any experience with the 70mm TB, but that would also most likely require a new tune.

Regarding the underlined/italicized part of your quote, our 4.0L V6's have a different 5-spd manual tranny that the one in the GT's. But it sounds like you have the new duals package for the V6, which is cool.

Post some pics when you can...
Old 01-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Albion47

Actually 28, I built mine with the dealer, they customize a lot of mustangs and the exhaust is directlyoff a GT complete with factory back skirt. I was told I got the GT tranny, I didn't change the gears (yet) as I'm not sure of the gain. I drive 40+ miles each way to work straight shot in the morning (4:30) with only a couple of red lights, afternoon is a different story with bumper-bumper all the way (Houston). The throttle body I'm looking at is the BBK unit as shown on "americanmuscle.com", the CAI will probably be the K&N unit.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:15 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Actually 28, I built mine with the dealer, they customize a lot of mustangs and the exhaust is directlyoff a GT complete with factory back skirt. I was told I got the GT tranny, I didn't change the gears (yet) as I'm not sure of the gain. I drive 40+ miles each way to work straight shot in the morning (4:30) with only a couple of red lights, afternoon is a different story with bumper-bumper all the way (Houston). The throttle body I'm looking at is the BBK unit as shown on "americanmuscle.com", the CAI will probably be the K&N unit.
Which dealer? I am in Houston too, welcome to the forums.

I didn't think the GT tranny could mount to the V6 block, am I wrong on this?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:43 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't bother with a throttle body on a sixer. CAI and tune is what you want You can spend as much as you like on the CAi for the looks but again, on a sixer, they will all be about 9WHP give or take, so look for a tuner cai combo kit, the tune is needed. You need to think in % and 5% is a good increase with just an intake but you need a tune which gives you more. Save the $$ from the throttle body and spend it on premium fuel and run a 91 or 93 tune.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Albion47

Oddysey, now you have me thinking about the tranny, actually I wasn't thinking V6 - V8 Daaa.
The dealer is Reliance Ford in LaPorte on 146 between Spencer& Fairmont, talk to Louis Estrada tell him Chuck sent you.

Thanks Torque, I'll certainly look into that.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:36 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Oddysey, now you have me thinking about the tranny, actually I wasn't thinking V6 - V8 Daaa.
The dealer is Reliance Ford in LaPorte on 146 between Spencer& Fairmont, talk to Louis Estrada tell him Chuck sent you.

Thanks Torque, I'll certainly look into that.
I think I have been by there before, I don't know what the deal is with La Porte lately, but they shipped one of my rims to the La Porte discount tire and had to go pick it up

I wonder if they put a different shifter or something on your tranny, you dont have a hurst shifter do you?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:22 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Stay away from the aftermarket BBK TB.
They are more trouble than they are worth.
If you do go with an aftermarket TB, be
sure to carry the OEM TB in the trunk
along with tools to change it when the
aftermarketcraps out and leaves you stranded.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:59 AM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

I would agree not to bother with a CAI that requires no tune. Kinda pointless if you're looking for noticeable gains. I went with the C&L CAI and Sniper Tuner (as seen in sig). I couldn't be happier. I would like gas prices to drop so I can run 91 TB is also pointless on the V6. You need to tune after install, it's expensive, more problematic than necessary, and no noticeable gains for $$$. Good luck with your decision!