Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine Overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 05:30 PM
igor92128

Default Engine Overheating problem

Here is my story.

I have an 05 V6 Mustang and not too long ago, after a long drive, I noticed that there was steam coming from the front of the car through the grill. It was not alot of steam but just a little, but enough to get me worried. I opened up the hood and saw that the coolant resevoir was completely bone dry. I then went to the dealer and they checked the cooling system for leaks and could not find any. They also said that the resevoir was not supposed to be empty so they filled it for me. Then after I got home, coolant was pouring out from under the car. I know that the coolant expands when there is heat so I figured that I would just let the excess flow out and in a couple of days the leaking almost stopped but then I noticed something more serious. The engine temperature moved up and was showing that the engine was red hot when I was driving on the freeway. I then let go of the gas an about 30 seconds later it was back down to normal. The heater also didnt work and was blowing cold air only. Now today, I was driving and the temperature gets hot when I step on the gas too much and sometimes I hear banging noises coming from the engine. Iam already going to the dealer on Monday again for them to take a look and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas on what the problem could be.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Overheating problem

ORIGINAL: igor92128

Here is my story.

I have an 05 V6 Mustang and not too long ago, after a long drive, I noticed that there was steam coming from the front of the car through the grill. It was not alot of steam but just a little, but enough to get me worried. I opened up the hood and saw that the coolant resevoir was completely bone dry. I then went to the dealer and they checked the cooling system for leaks and could not find any. They also said that the resevoir was not supposed to be empty so they filled it for me. Then after I got home, coolant was pouring out from under the car. I know that the coolant expands when there is heat so I figured that I would just let the excess flow out and in a couple of days the leaking almost stopped but then I noticed something more serious. The engine temperature moved up and was showing that the engine was red hot when I was driving on the freeway. I then let go of the gas an about 30 seconds later it was back down to normal. The heater also didnt work and was blowing cold air only. Now today, I was driving and the temperature gets hot when I step on the gas too much and sometimes I hear banging noises coming from the engine. Iam already going to the dealer on Monday again for them to take a look and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas on what the problem could be.

Thanks.
I had the exact same symptoms about 10 years ago, with a Toyota Celica I had. It turned out to be a blocked/gunked up heater core, and a cracked head. Bad stuff dude, the banging noises from the engine, heat going hot cool hot cool, leaking coolant, heater blowing cold, you're engine sounds screwed dude. Hope that won't end up costing you too much, but it very well may, sure did cost me back then. In fact I just never changed the oil after that and let the engine seize up...Insurance covered it and I ended up getting a 98 Tacoma.

You may want to check your water pump as well, that could be failing or failed.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:45 PM
igor92128

Yes, but my Mustang has the Cologne V6 which I believe is a very good engine and can stand up to alot of punishment. I had a '95 Mazda B series which used the same engine and had 0 problems with it for 160k miles until I sold it. I once had the serpentine belt break on me and drove 2 miles to the nearest shop with no belt, and the engine was back to 100% after installed a new belt.

The banging sound does not happen all the time, just happened a few times and the engine sounds fine most of the time so I hope it's not that serious. Tomorrow morning I have to drive (verrry carefully) to the shop and they will check it out. Will update thread when problem is found.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:17 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

If your heater core is bad, you may feel some dampness on the passenger side floor. I had an '82 GT that we had to replace the heater core because the car would over heat.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:36 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

It should not be driven anymore. You need to take it straight to the dealer (if it's under warranty) or to a mechanic and have them look at it. Obviously there is something wrong so do not let them say "there is no leak" and not fix it.

It could be anything from a cracked head, bad heater core to awater pump, radiator, etc. But driving it in the condition it is in, is just bad.

Good Luck!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:36 PM
igor92128

Well I just had the car checked out at the mechanic and it looks like the radiator is clogged up. It was also missing the radiator shield that protects the bottom of the radiator. My guess is that the car didn't have it in the first place and it got really dirty after my ski trip to the mountains. They are going to install a new radiator and shield, and its gonna be around $500 for everything (vs. $810 at the dealer).

Funny thing is that I had the car at the dealer last week and they did a bunch of pressure tests and said there were no leaks in the coolant system. They should've figured out the radiator was clogged the first time.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:45 PM
igor92128

Well, I just got the car back from the mechanic today with the new radiator and shield. It runs better then ever now and the engine is keeping normal temperature. It's a big relief that the engine wasn't damaged though. It is great to do burnouts again too!
Old 03-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

Close call glad everything work out I was afraid for you.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:54 PM
SkullE404
1st Gear Member

how many miles on that 05......?
Old 03-04-2008, 05:30 PM
igor92128

Thanks! It's got 44k right now and I got it with 17k. I drive alot though, about 20k/year.

Quick Reply: Engine Overheating problem