Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

does tuning your car ruin it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:41 PM
defiance777
2nd Gear Member

Default does tuning your car ruin it.

Just worried about what a tune will do to the car in the long run. Also is tuneing a car dangerous, I read on this thread https://mustangforums.com/m_4799289/tm.htmhow somebody tuned his car and it went crazy. And if I do tune my car or supercharge itcan I still use regular at the pump
Old 03-27-2008, 07:53 PM
BamaDan
1st Gear Member

Default RE: does tuning your car ruin it.

tuning usually isnt dangerous, from what i've seen.
any time you deal with computers, or anything for that matter, theres always a chance of something going wrong.
with the kind of tunes people talk about on here, all you're really doing is optimizing your efficiency. some lean a little stronger toward performance, but its nothing like fabricating a one-off twin turbo system for your taurus. there really isnt a whole going on here thats sketchy.
just read read read, learn as much as you can, do your research, find something and someone reliable that you come to trust, talk to them, and become able to decide for yourself(:
with something like a $20,000 car, and multi-thousand dollar modification to it, you want to be well informed.
we're here to help.

i dont think supercharged engines usually take to well to 87/regular octane gas. when you start getting that heavy into automotive performance, high octane fuel generally becomes a standard.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:01 PM
defiance777
2nd Gear Member

Thnaks for the help. Oh yeah one more question. If our car were build to handle regular fuel. Wont the engine reject anything higher. I would think it would damage it or does it all have to do with the ECU.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:10 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

You have to understand, Ford DETUNED the engine to run on 87. From the factory, the cars tune allows the car to run the lower octane. Putting higher octane in with the factory tune is a waste of money, the car doesn't know that the fuel is a higher grade, and adjust accordingly. The new Bullitt model advertises that it does that. You can put higher octane fuel in it, and it'll run within the fuels limitations. If you put lower in it, the engine senses it and backs off for the lower grade.Supercharging puts you at 91 octane minimum.This is the only reason I haven't put the X-charger on my pony. Gas prices are getting too high.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:13 PM
BamaDan
1st Gear Member

yep, themac's got it.
you have to use a tuner to tell your engine's computer that you're feeding it better fuel. then it'll perk up some. otherwise, you're just wasting your pennies..
Old 03-27-2008, 08:43 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

I remember when i was a kid and 87 octane was .089 per gallon and premium was an outrageous 1.09 per gallon. fast forward to this gas crisis that we are in now and here in memphis regular is 3.19 and premium is 3.39. Amazing that in 15 years of gas price changes, premium is still only 20 cents higher. Thus a full tank of premium in 1990 was two dollars higher than regular and in 2007 a full tank of premium is still only two dollars higher than regular. If you are really trying to save 2 bucks per fill-up, buy the supercharger and fill up with premium and skip the soft drink at the convenience store. same price.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdphillips73

I remember when i was a kid and 87 octane was .089 per gallon and premium was an outrageous 1.09 per gallon. fast forward to this gas crisis that we are in now and here in memphis regular is 3.19 and premium is 3.39. Amazing that in 15 years of gas price changes, premium is still only 20 cents higher. Thus a full tank of premium in 1990 was two dollars higher than regular and in 2007 a full tank of premium is still only two dollars higher than regular. If you are really trying to save 2 bucks per fill-up, buy the supercharger and fill up with premium and skip the soft drink at the convenience store. same price.
Oh tell me about it man, when I started driving in '94, I think I was paying about $1.00 per gallon, and now here in SoCal, the local Shell gas station has 91 premium at $3.99!! What a crock of ****!!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:41 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

most people that have problems with the tuners or tunes is because of user error......it will not ruin it unless the tune has something extremely wrong but that isnt going to happen.

Using 91 or 93 on the factory tune will not harm it in any way. many people do it. Hell i know i got better mileage using it before tuning the car.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:31 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rhino77

ORIGINAL: jdphillips73

Oh tell me about it man, when I started driving in '94, I think I was paying about $1.00 per gallon, and now here in SoCal, the local Shell gas station has 91 premium at $3.99!! What a crock of ****!!
Heck I remember paying 25ยข a gallon for gas! When Gas wars were on, the customers always won!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:17 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Just wait until there is ZERO gas left.
Enjoy it while its still around at any price.

Quick Reply: does tuning your car ruin it.