Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Custom H pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 04:03 PM
zwilletts1023
1st Gear Member

Default Custom H pipe

Ok i currently have GT takeoffs with straight pipes and was wondering what the difference in sound would be going to a H pipe. My muffler shop told me they would do it for free and was wondering if it would beworth it . any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:19 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Custom H pipe

try it... it's FREE!

it should help equalize the tone a little bit if anything. supposedly makes it deeper. I have an h-pipe on mine, but its tough to hear the difference in x/h piping, at least for me.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

should be a big improvement on sound over straights. deeper and throatier.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Daniel13
2nd Gear Member

i have a y pipe now from my magnaflow dual exit and got a ticket. so i took off the muffers from the magna's and put on dual gt500 take off's and they dont sound nearly as deep and mean as the ones i heard on youtube. Is it cause i have the y pipe still in place???
Old 05-17-2008, 05:02 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: danbevsv6rumbler

try it... it's FREE!

it should help equalize the tone a little bit if anything. supposedly makes it deeper. I have an h-pipe on mine, but its tough to hear the difference in x/h piping, at least for me.

I've had both and there's definitely a difference in my opinion. H is a bit deeper and the X is a bit more of a raspy almost "smooth" sound.

Anyway though, to the OP, I would definitely go for the free H pipe crossover. From what I've heard straight pipes back don't sound great on our V6s, and between straight pipes and an H pipe the H should give your a nicer overall sound.

And hell, it's free, so if you don't love the sound you can always have the H connection removed and the holes welded shut.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:19 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

I had dual straight pipes for a year and now I have an H pipe. Definitely do it! With straights, I felt like my car sounded like two 3-cylinder engines. The H-pipe equalizes thesound and it soundsso much better and full. I have a couple Magnaflow glasspacks mounted like a mid-muffler system and it sounds fantastic to me.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:06 PM
ptkthekid
3rd Gear Member

I've heard that dual straights don't sound all that good? Go for the H if its free (what, your brother in law owns the muffler shop???...LOL) Iv'e been told by several good sources that an H hurts low end torque (but sounds awsome). If you go that route, I would really love to hear some feedback.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:24 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

should be a big improvement on sound over straights. deeper and throatier.
Yes, I thought it was a big improvement. When I had my driver side intalled, i fired it up without the H. It had a sputtering sound at idle. The Heliminated that sputtering and IMO the GT takeoffs with an H sound great. Like Sancho says, deep and throaty. And I noticed nosignificant if any loss of low end torque vs the single GT takeoff.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Spaunen
Banned

your so lucky to get it for free.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:39 PM
optras
2nd Gear Member

I ran straight pipes for about a month. The sound is alright unless you're above 2-3k RPMs and then it just sounds basically kinda ricy. I liked the tone but it just didn't sound good when you stepped on it. When I got the H-pipe put in it took about 15% or so of the volume out but I was rewarded with deeper, fuller sound. Sounds GREAT now at WOT. Looking back I'd do it again for sure although the straight pipes sounded badass at idle.

Quick Reply: Custom H pipe