Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:47 AM
marsee1474

Default PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

I bought an 07 manual v6 mustang about 3 months ago it has under 4000 miles. I was driving down the highway 3 days ago and i put it into 4th hit the gas and my rpms shot up without much accleration. I drove slowly the rest of the way home noticing the same problem with all the gears. I was at a stop sign put it in first with a little gas and the rpms shot up again and i barely was moveing. I smelled a burning smell and saw a little smoke. I had to drive about a mile home and i couldnt get over 20 mph, it was reving up very quickly but something wasnt catching and i couldnt really acclerate. Now it will barely move outta my driveway.
PLEASE HELP WITH THESE QUESTIONS:
1. Is this covered by my warranty?
2. How much will this cost me?
3. What is acctually wrong with my car?
4. Is this something that I did or a defective part?
Thanks for reading any suggestions will be a help!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:03 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Default RE: PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Should be covered under your warranty as long as you didn't make any changed to the transmission or gears.

Sounds like you have a transmission problem. Simply take it in to a ford dealership or have it towed to one and let them figure out what the problem is and fix it.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:10 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Given the burning smell and high revving without acceleration, I'd say your clutch is smoked. From your post, I'm not sure if you bought the car new or not, but regardless a car with only 4K miles should not have burnt the clutch out like that. The burnout in my signature was done with 31K miles on the stock clutch, and although my clutch is nearing the end of its useful life, that's the result of me racing it at the track.

Given the low mileage, you shouldfight very hard to get the car repaired under warranty (assuming that it IS the clutch). The clutch is in the same category as brake pads (i.e. a consumable part not covered by the warranty), but you should still try to get it covered.

If it IS the cutch and they won't replace it under warranty, then you may want to consider an aftermarket clutch. A new clutch from Ford comes from Turkey, and let's face it - it's the same unit that failed in the first place. An aftermarket clutch like the SPEC2 will set you back about $475 (+/-). You should replace the slave cylinder and throwout bearing (IMO) when the new clutch goes in. Resurfacing the flywheel is <$90, and labor should be <$400 (or better). So you're looking about about $1K, if it's the clutch and if it's not covered by the warranty. You may be able to cut a deal with Ford on stock parts and a portion of the labor cost, so try fighting for that first, once the problem is properly diagnosed.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:19 PM
marsee1474

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Wishbone
2nd Gear Member

Sounds to me like one or both of your catalyic converters went bad. That will give an odor and steady loss of power.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:47 PM
viperrmk
3rd Gear Member

Sounds to me like one or both of your catalytic converters went bad. That will give an odor and steady loss of power.
I dont know about that. I would have to agree with 28hopeup on this. I dont think the Cats would not let the car move. it sounds 100% like its the clutch. I would definitely take it to your dealership and try as hard as you can to get it replaced. A clutch should not be shot that fast give you only have 4,000 miles on the car. Unless the car was driven hard/ tried brun outs and stuff. Good luck and keep us up dated.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Favre4TD
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wishbone

Sounds to me like one or both of your catalyic converters went bad. That will give an odor and steady loss of power.
a cat issue would not let the rpm's climb like that
Old 06-13-2008, 07:40 PM
marsee1474

Hey everyone sorry for the late responce. It was the clutch, at first the dealer we bought it from laughed in my face and said 3 grand and we can fix it. Called Ford complained complained complained. Figured out that the car was a transfer from another dealership and the person who drove the car sucked at driving a manual car. Ford fixed the car for free and now its all good and driving smooth.
Thanks again everyone!
Old 06-13-2008, 10:21 PM
4.0 $tang
2nd Gear Member

nice...good job on gettin it fixed

a happy customer tell 5 people they know.......a pissed off customer tells everyone they know
Old 06-14-2008, 08:33 AM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

happy endings!