Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

cutting bumper for duals

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 02:08 PM
ptkthekid
3rd Gear Member

Default cutting bumper for duals

looking to go duals. Thinking to go ninosport kit with gt takeoffs. I know that there are other kits out there that are more like "true duals". I think that I will go this route for two reasons. 1. I hear true duals hurt low end torque. 2. I can get this whole set up for about $320 bucks (depending on the cost of takeoffs). I have been doing a LOT of research on mufflers and a lot of people sound real happy with gt takeoffs. Anybody got sound clips for this set up? But here is my main question. CUTTING THE REAR BUMPER!!! How did you do it? What tool did you use? Was it hard? Did you have to touch up the paint? Any input would be very helpfull. thanx in advance
Old 05-01-2008, 02:29 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: cutting bumper for duals

First of all, I think if you are willingto shell out $320, you should go true duals. I have Pypes x pipe with mid pipe and two GT mufflers and I have not had any problems with low end torque. Ford sells an awesome kit that has everything you need. If they had offered that last year, I would have jumped on it!
The shop that installed my duals cut the bumper for me. They told me it was very easy, that it cut like butter. They used a utility knife and then they sanded around the edges and used the Motorcraft touch-up paint that I provided. Some guys on this forum have used a Dremel to make the cut. Don't be afraid, if you take your time and do it right, it will look like a factory job.
Just use the template below;

http://pysales.com/inst/SFM68-bumper-cutout02.pdf
Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 PM
JimC

I used that template as well -- just make sure that you print it "full size" and don't let your printer shrink it to fit.

I used a utility knife to make the cut, the bumper is very easy to cut through. First I used asmall drill bit to outline the cut though with a couple of holes to help guide me. After cuttingItook sandpaper and wrapped it around awine bottle and used that to smooth the cut. I didn't use any touch up paint because everythign was still black on my car.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:20 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

I didn't notice any loss of low end torque with true duals and an H pipe. I bought my GT takeoffs off ebay. Installed the passenger side myself. Went to a local exhaust shop and had him install the driver side. I used the template and did the cut on the rack at the exhaust shop. I used a dremel with a tiny high speed bit. Measure twice, cut once, take your time, sand it a little and touch it up if you want. For me, it was a plus to cut it with the car in the air.Good luck with it.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:24 PM
outastockjohn
2nd Gear Member

I made my own template out of masking paper, and used an air saw to cut my bumper. very easy and clean, smoothed up the edge with some 180 grit. no touchup, all black.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:55 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

When I had a JBA H pipe with Borla Stingers (straight-through style mufflers) there absolutely was a loss in low end torque. It wasn't extremely major and it's not like it took away from the enjoyment of my V6 since it's not a fast car anyway, but it was something I definitely noticed. Of course, that was with the straight-through style mufflers. Your GT take-offs are chambered muffs, so it might not be as much of an issue, if at all.

Now I've got an X pipe with the Stingers, and there is no noticable drop in low end torque.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:42 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ptkthekid

looking to go duals. Thinking to go ninosport kit with gt takeoffs. I know that there are other kits out there that are more like "true duals". I think that I will go this route for two reasons. 1. I hear true duals hurt low end torque. 2. I can get this whole set up for about $320 bucks (depending on the cost of takeoffs). I have been doing a LOT of research on mufflers and a lot of people sound real happy with gt takeoffs. Anybody got sound clips for this set up? But here is my main question. CUTTING THE REAR BUMPER!!! How did you do it? What tool did you use? Was it hard? Did you have to touch up the paint? Any input would be very helpfull. thanx in advance
hey man im doing this exact setup in a month...its really a good price and i like that it can be done by urself...no welding or cutting either.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Spaunen
Banned

what pipes are recommened for gt takeoff dual exhaust. I really need help! H pip x pipe I dont know!~!
Old 05-06-2008, 07:53 PM
ptkthekid
3rd Gear Member

If you don't want to cut your stock Y pipe, I think the ninosport kit is about it. If your going to get into cutting your Y pipe you have several options depending on how much money you have to spend. I'm assuming since you are going GT takeoffs you don't have a ton of cash. The X pipe is what most folks go with since there is several out there. Most of the H pipes that I've seen are custom( which Im told is no big deal, any shop can fab one up fairly easily). I've been told that the H pipe sounds best but you might get some loss of low end torque. I've also heard that true duals (no X or H pipe at all)Doesn't really sound all that good. The best choice is probably the X pipe, You get a little of both sides. Pypes has a nice X pipe and mid pipes combo. probably go good with GT takeoffs. Go to you tube, You can hear almost any combo you can think of. But (and this will **** a lot of people off) I've been told be some very reliable go fast guys that, The stock single exhaust (with diffferent muffler) flows really well and you won't see much of a performance improvement with duals unless you add some kind of other performance upgrades, like a supercharger. So, duals on a stocker is mostly for looks and sound. Which is enough for me!!
Old 05-08-2008, 06:15 AM
my06shaker
2nd Gear Member

GT Takeoff bumper /JBA true duals w/ H pipe. Get a take-off bumper and then post your V6 bumper and sell it. Trust me if you post it in the forums and craigs list you will get a buyer. Take the plunge and get what you want. You won't regret it later on.

[IMG]local://upfiles/86175/B0F3F6F7A068444999613FA1445415E6.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: cutting bumper for duals