Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got a little Drone problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:19 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Default Got a little Drone problem

Ok I got me a set of Flowmaster Super 40's put on the other day and they sound great, but I have a considerable amount of drone in it. If I am not mistakin I either read it on here or in a Chevy High Proformance mag. that drone is caused but the mufflers making th same sound at the same time.

Anyways, I am looking for something that wont kill the sound outside of the car but will kill some of the interior drone down. I was thinking that a H pipe would change the flow characteristics just enough to kill it down, cause a little drone is fine, and it might take away some of the ricieness.

Any solutions I am open to them
Old 05-20-2008, 09:10 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Got a little Drone problem

What pipes do you have now? Straight back? I had an H with my Borla Stinger duals and it made a fair bit of drone. I've since switched to an X and the drone isn't as bad as with the H, but still there at certain RPMs.

You could also put new gears on so you get a little more pep out of your car as well as change the RPM that you cruise at, which should get rid of the drone.

Or you could talk to your muffler place about putting resonators on (they're welded into the pipes shortly after the cats I believe) which will get rid of most/all of the drone.

Either of those last two options will minimize/eliminate the drone and not mess with how the mufflers sound on the outside (Although changing the gearing would probably make them louder on the outside when you're cruising because the RPM would be higher).
Old 05-21-2008, 12:35 AM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

How much do those cost usually?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:19 AM
project85
3rd Gear Member

I'd try 14" magnaflow resonators to tone some drone out...

Magnaflow 10416

Old 05-21-2008, 10:46 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

I have always heard to stager some resonators that should kill the drone completely, but I have it just staight back so I figure since its a little high pitched anyway I would put on a H pipe and that would help some and then put on some High flow cats which would also change the flow pattern some, maybe even have them stagerthe cats, but I dont wanna kill the outside noise to much cause its just about right, A gear is outta the question, I am not a big fan of gears anyways I like the stock gears setup pretty well for the driving I do and the car drones at 1600, 2000 to about 2200 or so, so it is really a multirange drone

Thanks Keep them coming
Old 05-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Wishbone
2nd Gear Member

Flowmasters just drone. No 2 ways about it. That and stainless steel is the reason I went with Bassani.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:43 AM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: project85

I'd try 14" magnaflow resonators to tone some drone out...

Magnaflow 10416

An H pipe would definitely make it sound better than running straight pipes. (I know because I've been there.) Running an H pipe would not improve your drone situation.

A resonator would definitely help with the drone issue. You could mount two of these in front of the axle-- like a mid muffler system.

That's actually what I have--2 Magnaflow glasspacks, mounted in front of the axle, with an H pipe, and it sounds great. No drone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYpzoFgHObQ
Old 05-22-2008, 10:45 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Well I have had Flows on other Vehicles, wehave a truck with a LT1 and FlowBigBlock 50 series on it and it doesnt seem to drone very much, plus I think it was just were I wasnt used to it, I am still thinking about putting in the H pipe for a throater sound, the reason I didint go with something else is I dont want something so loud that the law is not going to like it, or else I think atleast I would have went with SLP loudmouths, but VA is still a communist state when it comes to cars so I am stuck with what the big man will let you by with. If it gets to bad I guess I will have them put in some resonators but I dont want to kill the sound it already makes