Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

TSC On or Off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:35 PM
RPM3DINC
1st Gear Member

Default TSC On or Off?

I have a 2006 V6 Mustang, and I was wondering if most drove their's with the TSC button on or off? What about Overdrive? Do you use it or not?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:45 PM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: TSC On or Off?

I drive with it off... makes fast cornering more fun
as to overdrive I have a manual...almost never get into fifth gear unless going 70+ on the highway
Old 06-11-2008, 01:57 PM
RPM3DINC
1st Gear Member

OK, thanks! I was wondering if the TSC (Basic Traction Control) really made that much of a difference in tire slippage or not... I will give it a shot...
Old 06-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Wishbone
2nd Gear Member

I don't have traction control on my V6 but leave it on the Gt.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:35 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Traction control on these Mustangs is retarded... it just severely cuts timing to kill engine power. Having said that, it does help somewhat with wheel spin if the road is wet and you stomp on it..... if you are trying for quick accelleration from a standstill, you may at times have noticed that the car seems to bog down for a split second, and then take off. That's the traction control seeing wheel spin, cutting your timing, and killing the torque and power to the rear wheels. So, if you want to spin the wheels or tear out, TURN IT OFF, otherwise, it doesn't really matter if it's on.

As for O/D, if you are cruising around at constant speed or just gently driving, LEAVE IT ON... you will get must better gas mileage. However, if you are having run on the twisty roads, then turn it off... it prevents you from having to wait for the 5th to 4th gear downshift, which raises your revs enough to get you into the meaty torque band of the engine. When in O/D, you are often pulling 1700 RPM's, too low to get real grunt. You will see a marked difference in how car responds on back roads with it off. HOWEVER, you probably just lost 2-3 MPG if you stay in 4th.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:46 PM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

TCS off

overdrive usually on just for cruisin but off if i wanna have a bit of fun!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:01 PM
RPM3DINC
1st Gear Member

Thanks all! I honestly didn't even notice the Traction Control button for the longest time... only when I had to put on the Hazards did I notice it (since its right next to it)... I assume that is the right button to turn it off? Strange to have it on a V6 model though... Ah well...
Old 06-11-2008, 07:33 PM
JimC

I don't even notice the TCS in daily driving, unless I am in a snow storm and then it is helpful. But day in and day out driving it is a non-issue. I leave the TCS and OD both on - unless I am at the track. Then they both are turned off because I know that there may be some wheel spin and I don't want the TCS kicking in during those times. I could probably leave the OD on, and have forgotten it a couple of times, but the car always shifts to 4th just a little before the traps so it hasn't made a difference those few times I forgot to turn the OD off.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:05 PM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

first off its TCS...not TSC...but its cool im dyslexic to a degree....that said...manual here....TCS on all the time....nice in the rain.....i only turn it off when having fun....i.e. burnouts breakin loose on a corner...which i dont do much of anyways....i drive 50 + miles a day.... JMHO if your a manual turn it off when doing burnouts....this will eventually cost you a clutch...i speak from experience....forgot to turn it off on some a whiles back....and probably took 20K off of the clutch or more as a result.....
Old 06-11-2008, 10:28 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

I leave it on unless I'm trying to get the car to spin or whatever. For my normal daily driving, when the weather's nice and the streets are dry, TCS being on makes no difference. You don't need to spin the tires to go WOT in a straight line, and doing a single-tire burnout looks retarded.

In the bad weather (rain, snow) it's helpful, but I'll turn it off if I want to have some fun around the corners or whatever.

Quick Reply: TSC On or Off?