Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help on Remove Glue

Old 07-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

Default Help on Remove Glue

I bought my car used summer of 06 it is a 05 the stripes were on the car whenI bought it. I had to have some of them fixed. It looked to be a do-it-at-home job. I now want to remove the stripes because they are not good quality and are starting to look like s*** spots on them that will not come off and dull spots just **** poor quality. I removed the Front and rear bumper stripes today. This is where my problem started I used a hair dryer the stripes came off very easy that were replaced by my local tint shop the trouble started when removing the Old parts that the last owner put on. It looks like the backs of the old stripes were sprayed with additional adhesive then applied the old ones are very hard to remove. There is a TON of glue left behind this glue will NOT come off with Goo Gone or WD40/Dishsoap The shop installed stripes come off very easy and have little to no glue left behind and it cleans up easy. I used brake cleaner and a sponge to get the glue off then cleaned that with lacquer thinner it does not damage the clear coat or paint But I have the top of the car trunk and hood to do and I DO Not want to clean the rest of the car like this. the areas I have removed just the front and rear bumper required 1 full can of brake cleaner to remove the glue. What product can I use to remove the thick glue from my car? Did not work Spray Can of sticker remover WD40 WD40 mixed with detergent Goo Gone OOPS Isopropyl Alcohol Did work (no Damage) but do not want to use on large areas Spray can of brake cleaner/plastic scraper/sponge Lacquer Thinner after brake cleaner removes 97% of glue

I am going to have the stripes Painted on gloss Black that is why I need to remove the old ones.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:51 PM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Help on Remove Glue

Uhmm, i know some people have used peanut butter to remove road tar so that might work. You also might want to try gasoline? I have heard of people using this before but im not crazy about it myself. Let me know what works. Also, I think me and you have the same grille
Old 07-13-2008, 09:55 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Geez...what did they use Super Glue???

What about 3M adhesive remover?

I think Kerosine would be safer to use than Gasoline.

If the 3M stuff doesn't work, I would ask a body shop.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

I went to 2 automotive stores and wal mart and no one had 3m adhesive remover. I did not want to try gasoline on the car because I had this glue all over my hands and tried to clean them with gas and it did nothing to clean it off my hands. This is some strong Sh**. I feel SCREWED LOL/CRY.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:21 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Did you try heating it up with a hair dryer? Maybe that would soften the glue enough for you to roll it off.

Do you have any 3M stores near you? If not Amazon sells the stuff;

http://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Remov.../dp/B000ZJL1UY
Old 07-14-2008, 03:15 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

WD-40 works great too.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:03 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

I see you tried WD-40 and many others of the usual suspects. There are graphics companies that sell several products meant to remove the sticky stuff, but some is pretty expensive and might not work. One item you might try is an eraser. Big graphics require big erasers (like a Dual Action buffer, but rubber).

My go-to solution is Spray 'n' Wash. It introduces enzymes that will (eventually) soften and eat away biological substances. Smear it on liberally, let it set, stir it around, wipe off. Reapply as required. I just used it on some 3M tape residue this morning. It wasn't quick, but quite easy once it got started. It opened up the surface of the stuck stuff, and with WD-40 it all came off very nicely. Small area, but the principle applies.

My second resolver is a teen across the street, who has more energy and less expensive time than I have. For big areas, teach him/her how, and go about your business. Cheap and easy, if done right.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:04 PM
travlr

Try going to office max or a similar store like that for the 3m adhesive remover...
Old 07-14-2008, 05:24 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

I disrespect my paint sometimes but I would never use brake or carb cleaner on it. It has to be damaging to the clearcoat. Well what's done is done so here are my suggestions. First go to a professional auto body supply store, not to the local auto parts store. They will advise you on the types of products they have available for adhesive removal. That stuff is their core business and they will know what works since time is money to their customer base. 3M makes a rubber wheel to remove pin stripping that they should carry as an alternate option. Works via friction but won't take off the paint. Takes a year and a day to rub it off if you have a lot though. Picture a big eraser disc that you can mount in your drill. Another thought is to jump on some auto body forums for suggestions.
Good Luck!
Old 07-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FyouGitive

My second resolver is a teen across the street, who has more energy and less expensive time than I have. For big areas, teach him/her how, and go about your business. Cheap and easy, if done right.
This suggestion made me shudder when I read it. I know I couldn't turn a neighbor kid loose on my car and then walk away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help on Remove Glue