Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 and Nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

Default V6 and Nitrous?

I've never been to the track. I'm just a street racer as I've said before. Its why I went with a streetable supercharger and 3.73's instead of 4.10's. My V6 is pretty damn fast, but everyone keeps telling me to put nitrous on it.

And if I did put nitrous on it, I would put the Zex kit because its especially made for the S197 mustangs. And I would at most put a 75 shot because I know nitrous can literally destroy the car and blow it up.

But, I need opinions from the experts (you guys). Is it wise to nitrous a S/C V6? Will it handle the nitrous alright? How will it affect my mustang long-term?
Old 07-15-2008, 05:37 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Default RE: V6 and Nitrous?

I would be very careful adding juice to your Xcharged 4.0. If you do, you better have a good tuner, dyno available.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:21 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Don't do it. 4 people have done boost + nitrous, all knowing the risks hunting for ET's, summary as follows:

[ul][*]Myself (PH Turbo + Zex)[*]Buckman (PH Turbo + Zex)[*]Navbtcret (XCharger + Zex)[*]Pauls High Performance - Shop Car (Vortech + Zex)[/ul]
What do all 4 above have in common....

Blown Motors. Sure, all 4 knew there was a high probability of blowing the motor. Though high rpm street racing can kill a motor just as easy, extended runs in the upper rpm range, high mph, will cause a lot of heat, then detonation and then boom. I know of 6 and 8 cylinder guys that blew their motors that way, and they were running moderate boost.

PS: You should give the track a try. Takes a lot more skill to get the car out of the hole at the track, and separates the men from the boys.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

Damn. I was afraid of hearing that. But I need a booster.

I guess my next best choice is the Wet-X Kit from Bamachips. Anyone had any experience with that? Will it be able to work with the X-Charger Intercooler when it comes out? Is it worth it?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

I figure yeah, you'll need to refill the tank. But there is water everywhere.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:07 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Distilled water You will have to remove the blower and intake elbow to drill and tap the hole for the wet x jet. The time to do this is when your installing the kit. If you don't use it you leave the plug in. If you decide to run the kit, you remove the plug and install the jet (no blower and intake removal required)
It works nicely on the X because it lowers IAT's much like an intercooler would. Will you see any benefit after the IC is installed?... only time will tell. Doug could probably offer some insite if you give him a call.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

Dont do Nitrous unless you can afford to buy another engine. If you can go for it, if not don't do it. It's not even street legal so why bother. You should have got a turbo if you wanted some serious power. After I put the supercharger in my stang I was regrettin it!!! If you can't wait for an intercooler just have someone custom do one for you. Also if you put for example a 50 shot of NO2 in ur supercharged car it will be more like a 100 shot cause I believe the supercharger comes close to doubling it. I believe[&:]
Old 07-15-2008, 11:42 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Don't do it. 4 people have done boost + nitrous, all knowing the risks hunting for ET's, summary as follows:
[ul][*]Myself (PH Turbo + Zex)[*]Buckman (PH Turbo + Zex)[*]Navbtcret (XCharger + Zex)[*]Pauls High Performance - Shop Car (Vortech + Zex)[/ul]

Blown Motors. Sure, all 4 knew there was a high probability of blowing the motor. Though high rpm street racing can kill a motor just as easy, extended runs in the upper rpm range, high mph, will cause a lot of heat, then detonation and then boom. I know of 6 and 8 cylinder guys that blew their motors that way, and they were running moderate boost.

PS: You should give the track a try. Takes a lot more skill to get the car out of the hole at the track, and separates the men from the boys.
you forgot joey, armycook
Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black Mamba GTT

Dont do Nitrous unless you can afford to buy another engine. If you can go for it, if not don't do it. It's not even street legal so why bother. You should have got a turbo if you wanted some serious power. After I put the supercharger in my stang I was regrettin it!!! If you can't wait for an intercooler just have someone custom do one for you. Also if you put for example a 50 shot of NO2 in ur supercharged car it will be more like a 100 shot cause I believe the supercharger comes close to doubling it. I believe[&:]
nitrous is street legal in most states just fyi.

the use of it on the street is what makes it illegal.

from holley

Q: Does NOS manufacture 50-state legal nitrous systems?
A: Yes. In fact, NOS has several EO numbers for various kits such as the 5.0L Mustang and 305/350 GM V8's, etc. In addition, there is no need to remove any smog equipment when installing an NOS system.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:32 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fazm

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Don't do it. 4 people have done boost + nitrous, all knowing the risks hunting for ET's, summary as follows: [ul][*]Myself (PH Turbo + Zex)[*]Buckman (PH Turbo + Zex)[*]Navbtcret (XCharger + Zex)[*]Pauls High Performance - Shop Car (Vortech + Zex)[/ul]

you forgot joey, armycook
Opps, my bad. 5 people. Still not many, still same outcome.

Quick Reply: V6 and Nitrous?