Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Something seems wrong? sluggish?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Foreu2env
1st Gear Member

Default Something seems wrong? sluggish?

I posted this on another forum not to be named, but wanted to get the broadest range of responses and opinions so i'm posting it here as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated from anyone with a Manual V6.

I have a 2008 V6 PP, MANUAL trans, bone stock The car is only 4 weeks old..

I've noticed the last week or so that the car seems slightly slugish. At first I attributed it to finally getting used to driving a car with a little kick.. but every day it's started to bug me more. It seems not very responsive to immediate throttle input, feels like you're towing something that doesn't weigh much maybe? the power is there, top speed is there, cruising is fine, but the get-up-and-go is gone. I have heard a high pitch squeal 2 different times, coming from the back of the car. I though it may have been a brake pad sticking but I'm not sure and I haven't gotten the noise to come back since it happened twice in one day.

I haven't beat on the car, let me make that very clear. I've waited my whole life to drive something that wasn't a hand me down or econobox, so now that i've finally gotten the car I've found myself treating it like a queen. I've never even done a burn out in it yet. Having said all that, I have taken off from some stop lights pretty quickly just to see what she's got. I clearly remember the first time I did that, the tires squealed in first, and loudly chirped going into 2nd. I remember this because the person who I was in the car with was very surprised by that..

Now today it seems like that surprise power is gone. If i'm rolling around 5mph in 1st then stand on it, it doesn't chirp, squeal, or anything, it just accelerates like my moms grand prix, which isn't terrible.. but it doesn't feel like it used to. Also I cant get it to chirp at all with 2nd gear anymore. Maybe this is normal? I dont know, thats why I'm asking...

I've only done the 2nd gear chirp once or twice and hadn't tried it again since then because i didn't want to beat on the car. Both times that I'd done that were within the first week of having the car and it felt fine for another week or 2 after that. Like I said earlier, maybe I'm just finally getting used to this car and now it doesn't feel as powerful.. but something just seems wrong. I feel a little torn about the issue because I dont want to take it out and try to blow the doors off it to see if I can get those responses I clearly remember from day 1 just in case there IS something wrong with it, I wouldn't want to further damage it.

Also I remember having to only go half throttle in first when going around a turn, when I would put more than half throttle the tires would start to break loose. It made for some very fun power slides the first 2 times while getting used to the car, but I also tried doing this earlier today and i barely got any tire spin at all, and definitely didn't feel the back end slide out like I remember.

AH! maybe i'm just babying it now that i'm worried something is wrong.. but who knows, what do you think? Can anyone with an MT car tell me if their responses? or maybe a stopwatch 0-60 time so I can see if i'm really sluggish or if it's in my head? I just dont feel likek taking it to the dealer and giving up my car for 4 days just to have them tell me nothing's wrong.

THANKS in advance!

Last edited by Foreu2env; 09-03-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:05 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

I don't think it would be a bad idea to take it back to the dealer to check it out .The car is under warranty.I do notice on my 06 manual when it's hot in the summer it does have slightly less response then when the temp is cool .It should do 0-60 in mid 6s and even better in the winter cold air but maybe not that good when the temp. is hot maybe high 6s -7.0 .If you think the brakes are sticking you can take a drive down the highway a few miles and let the car cruise to a stop without braking and check the temp of rotors
Old 09-03-2008, 08:39 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Might have them check the emergency brakes.... They could be stuck on
Old 09-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Foreu2env
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info on checking the rotors when coasting to a stop, hadn't thought of that.

I'll try to check my 0-60 time in the next day or so, I do know it has been in the upper 80's the last week or so, while when I bought the car it was in the 70's and 60's so maybe temp does have something to do with it.

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:09 PM
thuxel
2nd Gear Member

Is the O/D off?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Foreu2env
1st Gear Member

There's no OD on an MT....
Old 09-04-2008, 12:58 AM
project85
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I think your just used to the power now...
The beginning thrills are over

Time for performance mods!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Foreu2env
1st Gear Member

Well It rained last night so there was a fine layer of rust on the brake rotors, I disengaged the E-brake and let the car roll and none of the rust was smudged or streaked across the rotor, so it seems like it was just the heat bogging things down.

project 85, you are correct, it is time for performance! I'm thinking X or intercooled Turbo. Turbo might be the most fun, but it's a DD and i'm not sure I wanna worry about the durability of a turbo so I've been reading a lot about the X.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Foreu2env
Well It rained last night so there was a fine layer of rust on the brake rotors, I disengaged the E-brake and let the car roll and none of the rust was smudged or streaked across the rotor, so it seems like it was just the heat bogging things down.

project 85, you are correct, it is time for performance! I'm thinking X or intercooled Turbo. Turbo might be the most fun, but it's a DD and i'm not sure I wanna worry about the durability of a turbo so I've been reading a lot about the X.
The "X" is a great choice for a daily driver. 18K mi of spirted use on mine, and not a single tiny problem.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:13 PM
thuxel
2nd Gear Member

Sorry I was reading very close about the tranny.

Quick Reply: Something seems wrong? sluggish?