Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Underdrive Pullies

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 04:08 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Default Underdrive Pullies

Ok anybody who has them, chime in please. So they reduce the amount of RPMs your Belt is making around your accesories, does this also mean that your AC and all the other things dont work quite as well. How hard are they to install, and Most important question and the most debated, what is the best kind, and where can I find them at.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:39 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Bump up
Old 09-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

I thought they were only for the GT.

I know for shure Steeda do one,

http://www.steeda.com/products/engin...belt_drive.php

Should be some info on there for you.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

You can get them for a 6er two but i just dont know which one to get. MotoBlue makes some to here is a link.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05v6.htm

I am just wanting a good quality product so I dont mess up my crank
Old 09-25-2008, 12:00 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Zabteck sells underdrive pulleys, but they are out of stock according to their website. They also sell an overdrive alternator pulley to be used with their crank pulley to offset its effect and keep the alternator spinning at a higher speed.

I have an alternator pulley from Paul's High Performance. It is easy to install, and is probably good for 3-5rwhp. I did increase my idle speeds with my SCT xcal2 to keep the alternator charging.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 28HopUp
Zabteck sells underdrive pulleys, but they are out of stock according to their website. They also sell an overdrive alternator pulley to be used with their crank pulley to offset its effect and keep the alternator spinning at a higher speed.

I have an alternator pulley from Paul's High Performance. It is easy to install, and is probably good for 3-5rwhp. I did increase my idle speeds with my SCT xcal2 to keep the alternator charging.
Any increase in mpg? I am still looking for cheap(under $300) mpg increasing mods and I heard they help but would like to know how much they help if any. 3-5rwhp isn't a bad gain for something that cheap and if the alternator problem could be fixed with increasing idle rpm's you may have just sold me on the underdrive pulley
Old 09-25-2008, 02:44 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe
Any increase in mpg?
Not able to tell. I installed most of my hop up parts at the same time. But in theory, the alternator pulley should help mpg a tad bit (if I can keep my wife's foot out of the go-fast pedal!).
Old 09-25-2008, 10:56 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Well it would be all fine and dandy to get that Zabteck if they had it, The Alternator Pulley though, that makes no sense to me, that is like putting the resistance back in place so you loose horsepower. But you say it gains.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:54 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BWfVA
Well it would be all fine and dandy to get that Zabteck if they had it, The Alternator Pulley though, that makes no sense to me, that is like putting the resistance back in place so you loose horsepower. But you say it gains.
I was wondering the same thing?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:03 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

That site is kinda confusing because it also say that you need a 1 inch smaller belt for that pulley on the alternator. So if that is the case, then, Just maybe, that pulley is also downsized to bring the RPmS back up on the alternator while taking pulley size down, which in theory would free up more horses.

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pullies