Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

XCal 3 question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Default XCal 3 question

So I'm purchasing an XCal 3 tuner/JLT Intake off this guy on craigslist, but hes selling the tuner locked (I presume its locked on another mustang).

Now my question is, is there a way to unlock the tuner for my car? I hear you can download a software (Liveload 3) and that'll work..
Old 11-04-2008, 02:34 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm I thought once it was locked the only way to unlock it was remove the tune from the Mustang you used to lock it..... (does that make any sense...) I've not heard of a software package that can unlock it and I thought liveload was the software it came with so you could view info about your car on your PC.

I'm not 100% certain and I"m sure someone will come up with the definitive answer for you but I'd say be wary and do lots of research first....

Also if you don't mind me asking how much you paying??
Old 11-04-2008, 03:31 PM
HoorayBeer
2nd Gear Member

pretty sure you have to send it back to sct to unlock which costs the same as buying a new one. the software is for loading tunes and stuff.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:47 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

The liveload software has the ability to unlock the tuner. You can only unlock it a predetermined number of times before you have to send it back, I believe the number of times is 5, on my xcal2 it is. When you plug it into the car you can scroll through the menu and it will tell you how many times it has left to do so. Only thing you need to know is this the original purchaser, and has it been unlocked multiple times for his own vehicles. I DO NOT KNOW if it will erase the tunes by doing this. I'm not going to go try it for fear of losing what I've got. Someone with more knowledge in this area will chime in soon enough. Next question, are you intending to use those tunes in your car? You do know that not all tunes work with all V6s right? It may not be compatible with your car. Do you both have the same PCM code sticker and transmission? Tire sizes and gearing can be dealt with after the fact, at least in mine it can. Just looking out for ya.

When you load a tune to your car the first time, it backs up your stock tune. Loading performance tunes, or even going back to stock, it does just that, loads the tunes. It doesn't clear out the tuner. The tuner just knows what the last tune loaded was, and reports it as status stock or aftermarket. There are 2 erase features in liveload, one erases all of the tunes, but keeps the stock, one deletes EVERYTHING. You have to be very careful when messing around with liveload. If you didn't receive your tunes through email, and have backup files, you lose them instantly FOREVER! Going through the individual like this, you also don't have the option of calling up the tuner and getting replacement tunes. Then you'll have to buy some anyway. If you're just buying the intake and tuner and you intend to buy tunes from one of the recommended vendors, just make a folder for back up tunes, copy your tune files to it before you load'em up to your unlocked, deleted, freshly cleaned tuner, just in case you accidently push one of those very easy to click buttons in liveload. I would even back them up to safe media like a memstick or disk.

Last edited by themac5150; 11-04-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

I'm not using those tunes, I'm going to order new custom tunes from bamachips instead. So I guess I'm going to delete those tunes already on it.

So, your saying that if he unlocked it more than 5 times I have to send it back? btw I'm paying $300 for the JLT Intake + Tuner (Intake is brand new)
Old 11-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

hm I just called the guy, he said that he hasn't locked it on any car yet. He says that 4 tunes are already on there, 87, 89, 91, and 93 octane tune.

If I get a tune from bamachips, and enter my calibration code (there is none on the tuner yet), will it work then?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:45 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Avalanch3
hm I just called the guy, he said that he hasn't locked it on any car yet. He says that 4 tunes are already on there, 87, 89, 91, and 93 octane tune.

If I get a tune from bamachips, and enter my calibration code (there is none on the tuner yet), will it work then?
Nope, doesn't work that way. When you order your tunes, you provide the vendor with your PCM code or strategy. They create the tune(s) based on what YOU give them. I'm confused, you said he was selling it locked in your first post. That means it was hooked up to another car and "VIN" locked to the car.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

I have no idea what he was talking about. He said he hasn't hooked it up to any car but it already has tunes.. Should I call him back lol? And what should I ask him specifically?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:18 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Ok, are you using HIS tunes or ordering new tunes... you lost me... if ordering new tunes, IT DOESN'T MATTER what his PCM code was, your new tunes will be made for YOUR PCM. As long as it's not locked up, you should be good to go.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:20 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

If you're thinking of using his, you must have the same PCM code, or strategy and tranny. It's 4 digits, like HSV3 for example. The strategy is longer, and you have to have the tuner to read it. The PCM code is on a little white sticker located on your PCM.

Quick Reply: XCal 3 question