Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

v6 question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 01:42 PM
xparty_and_panicx

Default v6 question

ok, i have a '07 v6 4.0 mustang and i was wondering what would be the best thing to start upgrading, performance-wise. What would be the cheapest / easiest place to start? I'm also wondering about removing the gov
Old 11-14-2008, 02:35 PM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

I'm new as well to the Mustang scene and I have the CAI(Cold Air Intake) setup and love the sound of it as well as the brisk throttle response. I guess the next step would be a tuner of choice with select maps of your liking. Then if that doesn't work for ya, go ahead and spend the kids college funds on a supercharger. Those are my plans anyways.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:47 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Check the stickies, and search function for more information than I can provide, but....

CAI/Tune from Bamachips, Brenspeed, Evo, etc will be the best first step. Then you would want to look into the following:

Dual Exhaust
Gears/T-Lok
Rims/Tires
Springs/Shocks

the list goes on and on...

Welcome to the forums both of you
Old 11-14-2008, 03:34 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xparty_and_panicx
ok, i have a '07 v6 4.0 mustang and i was wondering what would be the best thing to start upgrading, performance-wise. What would be the cheapest / easiest place to start? I'm also wondering about removing the gov
Welcome to the forums!
Most guys on here start with a CAI and tune first. I opted for looks first so I went with dual exhaust.

You know those side door moldings are easy to come off right? It's only attached with 3M tape and by taking it off, it will make your car look sooooo much better. Every time I see a Mustang with that on, I say to myself, "there goes a rental car." There have been numerous guys on here who have removed them. That's a free mod.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

You don't need to remove the gov. because for one there is no need to go that fast and 2 you have to have Z rated tires to do it safely. Most tuners won't remove it unless you have Z rated tires.

So in turn I would guess that your first mod would have to be Z rated tires. haha
Old 11-14-2008, 04:30 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Now if he is going for fast speeds, he should consider replacing the driveshaft with an alumninum one, otherwise he could lose his stock one.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:05 AM
thenatural
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Welcome to the forums!
Most guys on here start with a CAI and tune first. I opted for looks first so I went with dual exhaust.

You know those side door moldings are easy to come off right? It's only attached with 3M tape and by taking it off, it will make your car look sooooo much better. Every time I see a Mustang with that on, I say to myself, "there goes a rental car." There have been numerous guys on here who have removed them. That's a free mod.
lol the whole thing about the "there goes a rental car." Too true! I think the exact same thing
Old 11-15-2008, 12:14 AM
melo15fan15
2nd Gear Member

my 07 4.0 PP didnt come with one....thank god.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:27 AM
xparty_and_panicx

ok, thx for the input, wats the average cost for dual exhaust and CAI setup?
Old 11-15-2008, 01:08 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by xparty_and_panicx
ok, thx for the input, wats the average cost for dual exhaust and CAI setup?
Go with a tuner and CAI for sure. If you are on a budget, VMP tuning has a killer combo pack for around $450 shipped. That will REALLY wake you car up. Dare I say other than N2O or F/I it is the single best mod you can do to an S197...no question.

Exhaust is all show and no go. That being said, I have duals on my car. The CHEAPEST option that will actually add HP to your 6er is getting a single GT takepoff. You can get a set for $50-100 and just keep the other for later if you go dual. Dual exhausts add no HP (anyone that says so has not spent allot of time near a dyno)...but they ad a ton of "ear candy". The stock 6er exhaust is VERY choked up and the single GT takeoff will add a ton of breathing.

So...for less than $500, you can have a CAI, a custom tune and a GT takeoff. That is a HIGE leap forward for your car.

After that...consider an 8.8 takeoff rear end which will give you gears and t-lok at the same time. 17" bullits too...

After that...open the wallet deep!