Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

traction control

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 08:11 PM
love2005mustang

Default traction control

on the new Mustang the option traction control, can someone clarify what it involves, on the ford web site there is very short description. I whant to know if it is limited slip diff or its just abs brake controled.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:19 PM
rjonesjr34
1st Gear Member

Default RE: traction control

I'm 90% sure the traction control has the t-lok limited slip installed. I could be wrong tho.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:22 PM
crawz
1st Gear Member

The pedal is connected to the engine digitally rather than with a physical cord/wire

This being said, if the tires slip, the Traction Control simply cuts the signal for acceleration to the engine even if your foot is pushed down on the gas.

This lets the car become controllable in many situations!

So I read somewhere...
Old 05-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Bruno

It's ABS controlled. That's why you can only get the TCS bundled with the ABS. There is some confusion about whether it may have a Lim Slip Diff. The spec sheet on the ford website says they all have a carbon fiber LSD, but my dealer's service dept pulled up my VIN and it says "Non-LSD" under the differential section. Haven't been able to chase that one to ground yet. Other threads indicate "T-lok" -- a differential that previous model Mustangs had available, isn't offered on the 05's.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:53 PM
cathane

Hey Guys,

I've got it on my car (a must if you live in a northern climate such as myself). It's ABS controlled and throttle controlled actually, and no the limited slip is not included (limited slip with this traction control system is only good for improving your take off acceleration, which isn't a bad thing by any means!!) Knowing that it's both ABS and throttled controlled, I've noticed that it seems to apply the ABS part of the solution before limiting the throttle (I've only once had it cut the throttle response when it was engaged, an unpleasant feeling if you're darting out into traffic as I was at the time). I find it rather annoying that I have to turn it off every time I start up the vehicle, but such is life. As I said, if you live anywhere where there's snow/ice, get it. Friend of mine purchased the first Mustang in the province, was an automatic and didn't have traction control... there were times the winter he couldn't even get out of his driveway the car was spinning so much (studded tires in case you're wondering). I've got a manual which will help things greatly in the winter, but for the extra money the TC is well worth it if you're exposed to snow/ice. That's my two cents. Later.

Cathane
Old 05-30-2005, 09:21 PM
love2005mustang

Thank you for the input but if any one as more specific info post it please.
so limited slip is not availlable on 2005 models what about the GT is it a standar option , i dont see any info as an option or equipment .
i will be taking the traction control option an by the way I will be buying a v6 coupe.
GT here are33 to 36,000 buckaroos.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:46 PM
cathane

Hey there,

Yeah the limited slip is standard on the V8, not with the V6. You can get a t-lok limited slip for the 05 V6 from the link below, $200 US. I would imagine if you looked hard enough you might find a Canadian site that sells it, let me know if you do. V6 was the only option for me also, got mine 31k on the road, whereas the GT was 33-36k MSRP, easily 40k+ on the road :S. Add on top of that the insurance cost difference and it just wasn't worth it. I'm quite pleased with the V6, no regrets. Later.

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05Drivetrain.htm
Old 05-31-2005, 12:12 AM
Bruno

Good point about the throttle, I'd read that before but forgot about it. I did a fair amount of research on the ABS part, but not having it, the throttle connect didn't even dawn on me!
Old 05-31-2005, 04:53 AM
FuzzyRag
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cathane

Add on top of that the insurance cost difference and it just wasn't worth it. I'm quite pleased with the V6, no regrets. Later.

I hate to go off topic, but how much of a difference were you quoted? My insurance company told me just a $10 every 6 month difference between the GT and the V6.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:42 PM
cathane

Hmmmm, good question. I can't really remember. It was over 3-4 months ago that I got the insurance quotes on my car, and at the time I remember one of the agents telling me what the insurance difference was between the GT and V6... can't remember what it was, but I do know it was a hell of a lot more than 10 bucks a month (thinking between 50 and 100 but not sure). Even if it was only 10bucks extra a month, going from the V6 to the GT would be an extra $300+ a month payment alone (from what the Ford quoted me)! I'm already paying $500 a month as it is (and yes, even though it's $500 Cdn, you can't forget I get paid in Cdn dollars, so it's still relative). On top of all that, here in good old St. John's Newfoundland, with a couple oil rigs off our coast and one of the newest oil refineries on the Eastern seaboard only a 45min drive away, we pay $1.00 a litre for 87 octane gas ($3.79Cdn per US gallon, so approx $3 US a gallon) so there's all sorts of extra costs to consider between the GT and V6 here. Later.

Quick Reply: traction control