Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Drone Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Default Drone Help

I got my exhaust for x-mas which was pypes mufflerless axleback and a dual conversion kit. I have a single pypes mufflerless axleback now and the drone is pretty bad. I am no longer looking for performance, and was thinking of changing to some dual axleback that has no or almost no drone. I can't take it anymore from the single and wanna get it right the first time with duals so I don't go deaf.

I have heard corsas have no drone and magnaflows have very little. Can anyone confirm either of those statements? I was also thinking that maybe GT take-off mufflers maybe a choice for no drone too since they are stock mufflers. Any input or info on droneless mufflers is appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:39 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

What I can tell you is that I have the gt mufflers with the ninosport kit and there is hardly any drone at all but sounds good when you get on it .
Old 12-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, I will definitely go with the gt take-off mufflers. $70 instead of $700 corsas means more money in my pocket .
Old 12-29-2008, 08:32 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Mustang Joe I have Pypes x pipe, mid pipe with GT takeoffs and there isn't much of a drone.
I watched the Ford porter drive my Mustang to get it serviced and had a big smile on my face just listening to him drive off! When you drive you don't really get to hear what it sounds like outside.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:18 AM
ss06vert

i have the magnaflow package #16605 cat back and there is drone at the 2000rpm range wish i could get rid of it...
Old 12-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

my borla drones like CRAZY. dont buy one of those.

ive *heard* the MACs sound pretty good on our 6ers and they are 100% stainless, look great, and are pretty inexpensive; i think there is minor drone but maybe its something you can live with. its the route i will be taking early next month; i doubt you want to wait that long lol.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:23 PM
project85
3rd Gear Member

I have 2 of these on my car... only about $70 each

loud but no drone... the sound all goes out back
I had flowmasters before and the drone was killing me too
Old 12-29-2008, 03:46 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Yea I had flowmasters too and the drone was too much. Im running the GTB kit from Ford. Its not the cheapest kit on the market but there is ZERO drone. When idling there is almost not noise (cold start idling is different story). No drone, not an obnoxious sound, but deep and pronounced. Again, not the most inexpesnsive kit, but its a quality piece and no drone. Good luck on your decision!
Old 12-29-2008, 04:12 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by drfister
Yea I had flowmasters too and the drone was too much. Im running the GTB kit from Ford. Its not the cheapest kit on the market but there is ZERO drone. When idling there is almost not noise (cold start idling is different story). No drone, not an obnoxious sound, but deep and pronounced. Again, not the most inexpesnsive kit, but its a quality piece and no drone. Good luck on your decision!
Exactly how mine is. But it drones at idle. Bumps are a different story, it sounds like the whole thing is going to fall down.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:28 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Devil Wolf
my borla drones like CRAZY. dont buy one of those.

ive *heard* the MACs sound pretty good on our 6ers and they are 100% stainless, look great, and are pretty inexpensive; i think there is minor drone but maybe its something you can live with. its the route i will be taking early next month; i doubt you want to wait that long lol.

No No No... MACs are the KING of drone.. I had a single MAC and almost killed myself after a few miles. I had a resonator on the next day.. and eventually had to go with a new setup all together.

Quick Reply: Drone Help