MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   External Sirius Wiring Question--Radio Delay (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/549513-external-sirius-wiring-question-radio-delay.html)

WVPony 07-10-2009 06:37 AM

External Sirius Wiring Question--Radio Delay

I've installed a external Sirius Starmate 5 in my car. It sits nicely below the AC controls--held in place w/ velcro and wires hidden via loom.

When I first wired it it was on constantly even when car was off. So I wired it to a "switched power" fuse in passenger side box. So now it turns off when the car is turned off. Only problem is that the Ford radio delay keeps the radio on until the door is opened but the Sirius goes off as soon as the key is switched off so I have static until I open the door.

Does anyone know how I can rewire the Sirius power wire to a fuse (or something?) so that it stays on when the key is turned off? That way I'd have satellite sound until the door was opened. My Explorer works like that but it was professionally installed and I don't know how they did it.

Thanks!

gmchx4 07-10-2009 07:31 AM

Do you have a sub and/or amp in your car? When I had my satelite radio I had it spliced in with my amp so that it was on only when the car was started and remained on till the door opened.

I am pretty sure I have my amp running through my head unit power supply to acheive the same thing for it, but I cant remember if that was how I did this car or my last, its been years since i installed this system. (if you don't have an amp just look into the head unit power supply for a spot to cut in)

Before the mustang I had a Jeep. I installed an off-road light bar on it and wired it through the ignition switch. This allowed the lights to only be on when the car was running (so funny friends wouldnt drain my battery while I was in class), but im not sure if they remained on if the car was turned off and the door was still closed (i ran without doors all the time and removed the light/buzzer switch from the door jam, so there are a couple of outside factors in this scenario that may have affected why the lights did/didn't run with the door closed and key off). They ran as long as the key was in, but I think once it was removed they shut off; however, I don't know if the Ford ignition is the same as Jeep so maybe it would work

just a few ideas to look into, good luck ...

157dB 07-10-2009 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by WVPony (Post 6337709)
I've installed a external Sirius Starmate 5 in my car. It sits nicely below the AC controls--held in place w/ velcro and wires hidden via loom.

When I first wired it it was on constantly even when car was off. So I wired it to a "switched power" fuse in passenger side box. So now it turns off when the car is turned off. Only problem is that the Ford radio delay keeps the radio on until the door is opened but the Sirius goes off as soon as the key is switched off so I have static until I open the door.

Does anyone know how I can rewire the Sirius power wire to a fuse (or something?) so that it stays on when the key is turned off? That way I'd have satellite sound until the door was opened. My Explorer works like that but it was professionally installed and I don't know how they did it.

Thanks!

Simple pimple.
Let me get the wiring diagrams out and I will find the DACC (delayed accessory) connection point.
It might be as easy as a tap a fuse in the proper location on the SJB...

The online wiring diagrams really dont show the power distribution I need to see.....

EDIT: FUSE 6 in the SJB.
Tap a fuse for the win.
Be sure and follow the tap a fuse instructions to the T... :)

WVPony 07-19-2009 07:51 AM

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try. I think the window fuse tie-in will do it since they are on the delay.

Xargon321 07-20-2009 10:46 AM

you can also try taping the Dacc wire going into the back of the radio. use a relay to shut down the main power to the siruis unit when the door is opened just like the radio does now

157dB 07-20-2009 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by WVPony (Post 6357837)
Thanks guys. I'll give it a try. I think the window fuse tie-in will do it since they are on the delay.

Bad idea.
The power window fuse is not DACC controlled. :icon_shrug:
Its hot 24/7 also.
Try my suggestion as it works, no guessing.
Geeze, lead a man to water and he will not drink..... :icon_doh:

WVPony 09-12-2009 05:48 PM

It works now!

Well, I got it working just fine. I connected the Sirius Power to Fuse #6--labeled "Accessory Delay" in the manual. Works great. Radio AND external Sirius stay on after I turn the key off until I open the door. Thanks for all the suggstions. (Some of the suggestions were a bit confusing to me, so I thought I'd write back to say what worked for me in a simple way. Some of you guys presume we know more than we do with your rather technical suggestions--I'm sure a lot of us aren't very technically inclined. Thanks for all suggstions!!!!)