Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question for Pascal

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:18 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Right, but the first thing you notice about a car is it's looks and I would like to preserve that look.
Amen.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

I don't want to get into a pissing match with you, but you do strike me as an individual who has the ability to contribute a lot but so chooses to be a grumpy old phart most of the time.

Any way, I did find this info about Ceramic Clear Coating;

PPG Industries Inc.
Ceramic Clearcoat
Preserving a scratch-free, high gloss finish over a longer vehicle life has challenged the auto industry for decades. One problem is acid etch, degradation of the surface by acid rain in the environment, a major factor in the phenomenon more generally known as weathering; another is scratch resistance to abrasion from many sources, not least of which is the car wash. Unfortunately, any solution comes with trade-offs in paint chemistry. A scratch resistant coating was not as environmentally resistant, and vice-versa. And chemistries which offered the best combination were not water based, so applying them released solvent volatiles from paint departments.

All auto companies wanted a solution to this problem. Working with DaimlerChrysler’s Mercedes-Benz unit, PPG’s Development Group in Allison, PA, developed Ceramic Clearcoat technology. Ceramic Clearcoat uses nanotechnology to migrate silicon particles to the outer surface of the coating, creating a very thin, hard, glass-like surface. It sets a new standard for scratch resistance, at least three times better than that of any prior coatings, while maintaining excellent acid etch resistance, and with little capital expense or time required for conversion in production. The coating is sufficiently hard that new methods for testing it and for repairing it had to be developed. Ceramic Clearcoat should contribute to the preservation of a desirable high gloss for years under conditions of daily wear, even including washing of fleet vehicles.

PPG’s ceramic clearcoat now comes in two commercial versions: Ceramiclear, a two-component clearcoat, and Certech, a single component clearcoat. Both can be applied in current water-based paint departments without new paint lines or equipment. Ceramic Clearcoat is now being applied to Mercedes-Benz automobiles.

http://www.autonews.com/Assets/html/...ndustries.html

good info, thanks !!
Old 10-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Right, but the first thing you notice about a car is it's looks and I would like to preserve that look.
obviously, my joke wasn't registered. i was referring to JCON and his urge to scratch test the paint at the dealership lot. my bad for not being clear

of course the paint is important. i'm fighting to keep the sharp gloss look on my black stang. the accumulating spider streaks are killing me!
Old 10-29-2009, 02:35 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sancho805
obviously, my joke wasn't registered. i was referring to JCON and his urge to scratch test the paint at the dealership lot. my bad for not being clear

of course the paint is important. i'm fighting to keep the sharp gloss look on my black stang. the accumulating spider streaks are killing me!
Oh OK, no problem.
I had a black Mustang GT once so I know what you mean.
I knew a guy who owned a body shop and he would put a few coats of clear coat on his car every year. I must say, his car looked amazing!

Old 10-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i'm currently using TR-3 polish to keep up my paint. works great but can't find the time to polish the stang as often as i would like.

if you're curious about this stuff, here you go...
http://bluemagicusa.com/index.php/bl...ic/products/91
Old 10-29-2009, 04:31 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Sorry to come in late girl.
Glad you found the infos you needed though...

I did try this product in Europe last April and it's not a 100% answer to paint problems.
They also say it's not user friendly for things like repaint etc... In blending particularly and buffing.

In FL, it's hard to get water base products so I'm not gonna mess with that.
Besides, most of us here, don't have heated paint booths.

I know one thing, because of US Environment stupid laws (most are), there isn't a paint product worth a damn anymore compared to: say 7 or 8 years ago.
Even high build primers shrink and don't get as hard because the Government took all the good stuff out of it, and those primers are a critical step to deliver a clean product after intense body work like fiberglass etc...

As far as db157, he can't help it.
Ask him what a Bumbleweennie 57 is, and then make fun of his answer, lol.

Oh, and PM me next time.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:36 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I agree with you Pascal, dumb EPA laws not only ruin car engines but they've also destroyed the strength of our paints and clears. Particularly on black Fords. Cracking from heat is common because of the removal of hardening agents and how thing the paint is now In the past month, every time it is nice out, I was and wax the car. Just tryin to build up some nice coats. I spent + hours one day and clay bared then waxed, had a nice strong finish and looked great but its no substitute for a good clear.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

NASA was pressured to switch to harder/more brittle CFC free foam to coat the Space Shuttle's fuel tank during the Clinton/Gore administration in order to be more "green"

If the freaking government is willing to risk the lives of, and even kill astronauts in the switch to "environmentally friendly" materials to insulate the Orbiter's main fuel tank just to keep the EPA happy, what chance do us puny little "car guys" have?
Old 10-29-2009, 06:41 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
NASA was pressured to switch to harder/more brittle CFC free foam to coat the Space Shuttle's fuel tank during the Clinton/Gore administration in order to be more "green"

If the freaking government is willing to risk the lives of, and even kill astronauts in the switch to "environmentally friendly" materials to insulate the Orbiter's main fuel tank just to keep the EPA happy, what chance do us puny little "car guys" have?
NASA is government, so I enjoy seeing those politicians shoot themselves in the foot, lol.
I do have respect for scientists working at NASA though.
And *** Gore is, well.............................................. ...... an ***.

When politics are involved in a concept, that concept is no more.
Doesn't matter your political affiliation...

I can't wait for some new technology on automotive paint because right now, it's twice the work that it used to be and material prices have tripled.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:28 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I don't want to get into a pissing match with you, but you do strike me as an individual who has the ability to contribute a lot but so chooses to be a grumpy old phart most of the time.
I was just informing that posts that have a title such as
"this is for Pascal"
would not be found in a casual forum search for 'self healing paint'.
The Post Title should at least mention the subject matter.
If not, the PM feature would be better for getting Pascals
reaction to a queston. Not his name in the title...
Two ways to look at everyting and you choose
to go the pissing match route...

Originally Posted by pascal

As far as db157, he can't help it.
Ask him what a Bumbleweennie 57 is, and then make fun of his answer, lol.

Oh, and PM me next time.
+1

Last edited by 157dB; 10-30-2009 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Question for Pascal