Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Next MPG component?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 04:25 PM
1pony2go

Default Next MPG component?

So a few months back I put a k/n filter on and improved the mpg by 7 tenths of a gallon on average and I got this flowmaster just sitting here and was think'n(i know-BAD IDEA) anyway....when I added these muffs to a coupla blazers I had I got about 1 and a half to 2 mpg's better fuel mileage. I like how quiet the thing is but I like money better and gas is so much now that I need to make it so I save a few bucks here and there. What I'm curious about is this 4.0 gonna get the same type of gains as my blazers did or not? If not I'd rather just keep what I have . Anyone got a clue?
Old 11-01-2009, 04:45 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

the standard answer everyone will say yes, you will get better mpg.

I had a flowmaster on my car and got nothing.

I would say if you're concerned with quiet and "7 tenths" of mpg, you might want to trade it in for something that is more of a gas saver. no matter what you do on a mustang you will never average 30 mpg consistantly, but many cars can do that easy. jmo...
Old 11-01-2009, 08:11 PM
4.0 $tang
2nd Gear Member

not to be a jerk, but y did you buy a mustang if you are concerned about gas mileage
Old 11-01-2009, 08:35 PM
RobertJ
2nd Gear Member

I seriously doubt that the filter got you a gain in MPG, and I'm certain those mufflers won't at all. People put parts on a car, and they expect a certain outcome. Therefore, they start driving with fuel mileage in mind, and in that sense use the only real MPG saving mod out there-a lighter touch with their right foot.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4.0 $tang
not to be a jerk, but y did you buy a mustang if you are concerned about gas mileage
So I'll be the jerk. You didn't buy a Stang, V6 or V8, for economy.

Your K&N doubtfully gave you a real gain but if it did figure the payback might be about 3-5 years or more. Woohoo. And I'll bet there isn't an OE muffler out there that'll improve mileage on ANY S197.

If you want to save some money for/on gas, here are a few recommendations:
  1. buy a bike
  2. walk more
  3. drive like a granny
  4. drink water instead of soda
  5. make your own coffee instead of StarBIGbucks
  6. cut out the HappyMeals and brown bag it
Old 11-02-2009, 02:35 AM
1pony2go

Actually I did buy the stang to be my economy car. I got 3 ford powered vehicles and 1 chevy(and some 4x4's). If you wanna go fast you better get a chevy too. I'm sure this will irk you ford faithful people but for the dollars that you gotta put into a ford I found myself better off. Don't get me wrong cuz I love my fords. But I got an old jeep that not only will stomp my stang but maybe the GT V8 stangs too. AND by the way, why would you even buy a V6 if you wanna go fast? You gotta empty your wallet just to get a V6 into the 12's and I just would rather put the money into something that will really roll. In the end the newer stangs are beautiful to look at which is why I got mine. Yeah, I'm a jerk!

Last edited by 1pony2go; 11-02-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:32 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Hey 1pony2go, even though this is V6 forum just wanted to support you, no matter what you say about MPG's in this forum you are going to catch flack, no one thinks if you want a muscle car you should worry about MPG's, but when I had my big block chevy when was .29 cents a gallon fine, but you would like some decent MPG's with gas prices nowadays, you can look at my signiture to see my mods and before the exhaust and underhood mods, I was getting 18 MPG going to work and back 46 miles round trip anywhere from 45 to 75 MPH, and trips over 100 miles at 70 with cruise set 26, now after the custom tune and other stuff, 23 going back and forth work running up the RPM,s dropping into 4th at 60 and blowing past people in rush hour to get ahead of pack and now on trips over 100 miles 29 MPG, got nothing to prove or try to fool anyone just telling what I see .................that was with a 87 octane tune, after many tanks of gas, always 4 gallons left when says 50 miles to empty, trip meter says 290, so tells me 340 miles safely running around town going to work weekly and the 4 gallons left should get you more than 50 easy, take a gas can with you and push it, good luck....considered the new camaro and challenger, but Stang almost out performs the two, no gas guzzler tax and the insurance is less on Stang than my Toyota Corolla 4 banger, which took one hit from behind while sitting still and was totalled, which gave me good excuse to buy a muscle car, that got decent mileage.

Last edited by 6+6 Stang; 11-02-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:35 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by 1pony2go
Actually I did buy the stang to be my economy car. I got 3 ford powered vehicles and 1 chevy(and some 4x4's). If you wanna go fast you better get a chevy too. I'm sure this will irk you ford faithful people but for the dollars that you gotta put into a ford I found myself better off. Don't get me wrong cuz I love my fords. But I got an old jeep that not only will stomp my stang but maybe the GT V8 stangs too. AND by the way, why would you even buy a V6 if you wanna go fast? You gotta empty your wallet just to get a V6 into the 12's and I just would rather put the money into something that will really roll. In the end the newer stangs are beautiful to look at which is why I got mine. Yeah, I'm a jerk!

1pony2go - I read your text highlighted above, and then found this thread...

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...-charging.html

Last edited by ODDYSEY; 11-02-2009 at 09:55 AM.