Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 X-Charger or Vortech HO? Advantage between gear driven and twin screw?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:56 AM
JimC

I'm not sure on 1/8 times, I tend to think in terms of 1/4 mile (which always makes it tough at the local track for bracket dial in because they run the brackets on the 1/8).

I pulled up my last time slips in 2009 and it shows a 8.67 and 8.88
Old 02-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

To answer the OP first question. Centrifugals, roots and twins screws are all gear driven meaning they are driven buy a belt and internally have gears that turn the rotors or turbine wheel where a Turbocharger is driven by exhaust gasses.

The Vortec is centrifugal supercharger meaning it has a small gear driven turbine wheel that move the air. The X-Charger is a modified roots supercharger meaning it has two long gear driven rotors that intermesh and move the air.

Another question asked by the OP was the difference between roots and twin screw.

Although the housings look similar and they basically mount the same, inside the rotors are completely different and actually turn different directions. In a roots both rotors look exactly the same were in a twin screw one is male and one is female. With a roots the air enters and follows along the inside of the housing and out the bottom. With a twin screw the air enters and goes through the rotors and out the bottom which also creates internal compression. Root do not have internal compression and only build boost in the manifold. Up until now the twins screws had a pretty good advantage with thermal efficiency which helps a lot in making more power due to not heating the air as much before it enters the combustion chamber. The new Eaton TVS roots now edges the twins screws just slightly in this area and has the added benefit of not heating the air when not in boosts, like twins screw do because or their internal compression, which allows the intercooler, if so equipped, more time to cool the water.

Not long from now there will be an X-Charger kit available based on the new Eaton TVS R1900. It is currently in the design and prototype phase. As for the Intercooled X-Charger based on the Eaton M90, with a good tune and supporting mods it will be very close to a centrifugal like Vortec or Procharger and should actually edge them a little on torque. When the TVS X-Charger becomes available it should edge the centrifugals on power and torque and have the added benefit of the low end torque the roots and famous for and centrifugals totally lack.

Last edited by Nice Pony; 02-21-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:45 AM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Any idea when this TVS is coming out?
Old 02-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Not firm date on the TVS but probably sometime this summer. The intercooled X-Charger is ready to ship from what I understand but there is a slight hold up on some fuel rail parts from Ford. To upgrade to a TVS will only require changing the blower and tune if you already have the intercooled version.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:49 PM
sonic245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nice Pony
Not firm date on the TVS but probably sometime this summer. The intercooled X-Charger is ready to ship from what I understand but there is a slight hold up on some fuel rail parts from Ford. To upgrade to a TVS will only require changing the blower and tune if you already have the intercooled version.
Gaylon, I thought there was more to upgrading to the TVS than just the blower itself and tune? Someone mentioned there would brackets and adapters that would need replaced as well. If that's right, then that changes everything. Do you think Dave would sell partial X kits minus the blower? Then those upgrading to the TVS could sell others their MP90 blowers and they could buy the partial kit from Dave. That would be so cool.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
My Xcharger hi-po kit put 260 to the rear wheels from a dyno day at Alternative Auto, but it has a lot left on the table - others who have gotten some numbers are at 280 or more from what I have seen. Dyno numbers though are just a tool, real world the car on this tune runs 13.42 in the quarter mile. It runs very rich and I haven't had time to get it in for dyno tune (running the bama mail order tune right now). I also decided not to push getting it in with Lidio since I will be adding the intercooler.

The first 20 intercooler kits are already spoken for (I am in that group) which is one reason you don't find it on the Explorer Express site yet. A second reason it isn't listed is that Dave is waiting on some part from Ford though that is back ordered before he can ship. One of the problems of having to depend upon third parties is that their schedule doesn't always meet your needs.
if you dont mind me asking, how much is the intercooler kit, do you buy the x-charger and the intercooler seperatley or can they be bought together as a kit? does anybody know when the additional kits will be availiable? i was planning on ordering my blower in may/june so i have time to wait.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:04 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Ah too bad I want a shaker, itwill have to be the Vortech for me.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonic245
Gaylon, I thought there was more to upgrading to the TVS than just the blower itself and tune? Someone mentioned there would brackets and adapters that would need replaced as well. If that's right, then that changes everything. Do you think Dave would sell partial X kits minus the blower? Then those upgrading to the TVS could sell others their MP90 blowers and they could buy the partial kit from Dave. That would be so cool.
Oh...I forgot you will need a new inlet elbow also.

So the run down would look more like this:

To upgrade a current X-Charger you would need:

1. New Eaton TVS R1900 supercharger.
2. New inlet elbow.
3. New distrbution manaifould cover and fittings. (This colud be intercooled or not, your choice)
4. New distrbution Manaifold.
5. New coil bracket.
6. New fuel rails and adaptors if going intercooled.
7. New tune.

To upgrade from the new intercooled X-Charger Xtreme you would need.

2. New inlet elbow.
3. New tune.

Last edited by Nice Pony; 02-21-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nice Pony
To upgrade from the new intercooled X-Charger Xtreme you would need.

2. New inlet elbow.
3. New tune.
Hmmm.... now that's kind of nice.

I was thinking that my last upgrade would be the intercooler, but it doesn't look too bad to go to the TVS some time down the road either...
Old 02-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Maybe a retarded question, but how much HP and Torque do the X-Chargers put out?

Quick Reply: V6 X-Charger or Vortech HO? Advantage between gear driven and twin screw?