Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2011 V6 Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:16 PM
royale
1st Gear Member

Default 2011 V6 Maintenance

Hey everyone! I have had my 2011 MCA V6 Mustang for a few months now. I have the online manuals and my original owners manual, but I can't seem to find a specific mileage schedule to maintain my vehicle. I m creeping up a little over 4000 miles and my last 2006 Stang, I did an oil change/inspect/tire rotation (The Works) at about 5000.

I believe in the manual they are pushing me to use the automated oil change system and sync. I don't know if it can be completely trusted. I have been doing my own oil checks just in case. What do you guys recommend for a good maintenance schedule? Should I trust the sync system recommendations? It is saying everything looks good when I checked at 1500, and 4000 miles, and my oil life has about 75% left.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Bokeo
2nd Gear Member

Well, supposedly they are good till 10,000 miles but Im still stuck in the 3,000 interval mindset. I will probably end up changing mine out at 5,000 just to be safe, but thats just me.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:52 PM
royale
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bokeo
Well, supposedly they are good till 10,000 miles but Im still stuck in the 3,000 interval mindset. I will probably end up changing mine out at 5,000 just to be safe, but thats just me.
Yea, thats what my manual and people at the dealership said to me as well. I m probably going to do the same. Doesn't hurt to get new oil, and balance out the tires at that point.

PS. I found out that the oil life meter is as good as your mileage counter. It can be reset, so I definitely be trusting that percentage. Not exactly sure what Sync does to check, but its saying all my systems are good.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I doubt the on-board systems take into account your driving style and environmental conditions. Rule of thumb: for the synthetic blend (OE), 7500 miles is what Ford recommends. 7000 miles if you drive mildly and do mostly 10 or more miles per trip one way. 5000 miles if you drive stop-n-go a lot and/or are a very aggressive driver. Extend that to 10,000 miles or more for full synthetic and again, frequent 10+ miles per one-way trips.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:21 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Um, glove box.
Scheduled Maintence Guide.

Originally Posted by Nuke
I doubt the on-board systems take into account
your driving style and environmental conditions.
My Chevy Aveo takes into account temps and driving styles
with its OEM Oil Life Predictor System (OLPS).

Its so-fisticated...

I rag the stang but cant seem to get more than 3K on
it before the six month time limit comes around.
It gets the 0.01 micron filtered synthetic leftover oil from
the Dodge Challengers every 6 month oil changes...
Twice the life and twice as nice.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 V6 Maintenance-schmainguide.jpg  

Last edited by 157dB; 12-09-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:10 PM
royale
1st Gear Member

I doubt the on-board systems take into account your driving style and environmental conditions. Rule of thumb: for the synthetic blend (OE), 7500 miles is what Ford recommends. 7000 miles if you drive mildly and do mostly 10 or more miles per trip one way. 5000 miles if you drive stop-n-go a lot and/or are a very aggressive driver. Extend that to 10,000 miles or more for full synthetic and again, frequent 10+ miles per one-way trips.
Yea I wouldn't say I m aggressive most of the times, but I do have a lot of regular freeway traffic to deal with. I will go with the 5000 to be safe.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:11 PM
royale
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
Um, glove box.
Scheduled Maintence Guide.

I know and I was going by that. It recommends 10,000 or when the display tells you to.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:23 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

You answered your own question.
Really worried, change your oil at 3K and send it out to be tested.
Next time wait 4K and send that out for testing.
Repeat at the 5K interval and again at the 6K interval.
Compare the results from the tests and analize the data
to find out when the best time for YOU and YOUR particular
driving habits warrants changing the oil.
All in just 18K miles of driving.
You could do the tests sans filter replacement and
then repeat with filter replacement to get more
comprehensive data to analize.
Another 18K of test miles.

Those darn 2010 models and the newfangled options.
Telling one when to change to oil on a performance vehicle?
Old 12-11-2010, 05:32 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

I doubt the on-board systems take into account your driving style and environmental conditions.
What do you think it takes into account then? Because its not just counting down miles.

I got my first oil change at 6000 and also sent in a sample to get tested, it was still pretty clean and no sign of metal. I am now at just under 12k miles and I have 47% left on the oil life. I will probably take it in soon, but with full synthetic and these new motors 10k miles between oil changes isn't that big of a deal.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:46 PM
a_guerrajr
1st Gear Member

i did mine at 750 miles, went to full syn oil change. i'm at 4K miles now and my percentage was down to 66% percent i think. i do long commutes every day and a bit of stop and go.

my previous vehicles ( chevy ) both had the oil monitor system. i followed it pretty much by percent, and never had any issues with leaks or breakdowns. technology is much more advanced. keep in mind if they tell you to do it that way, then there shouldn't any issues if you car does break down due to that. this is another way to minimize fossil fuels consumption.

Quick Reply: 2011 V6 Maintenance