Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Lesson Learned

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Loader49

Default Lesson Learned

Hello all. This is my first post although I've been a long time lurker. I thought I'd share a lesson I learned today.

I just got back from my local Ford dealer after having my 2010 Pony 6 there overnight. Yesterday morning I got in it to go to work and all it would do was turnover. I had lights, radio etc., it just wouldn't start. I'm an average shade tree mechanic but today's cars require you to be an electrical engineer, which I'm not. Fortunately I've reached that stage in my life where I don't have to work on my cars and can afford to have someone else do it. So I had it towed to the dealer.

I figured it was a module or something that crapped out. Turns out it was a blown fuel pump fuse. The fuse blew because there was short to ground in the 14A005 harness which is located under the trunk mat on the driver's side. The short was caused by the 40 lb bag of salt I put there for traction in the snow. (This is my second winter of doing this with no problems getting through the snow.) The harness lies in a shallow trough and is not protected like the wiring on the passenger's side where I put another bag of salt. I've used some wood to frame the harness and prevent it from being damaged again.

I hope this is helpfull to some of you.

Jack
Old 12-22-2010, 02:15 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Interesting. I have a wire upgrade and everything is in the spare tire well. But it is a nice little piece of info.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Good info to be aware of. This should be in the 2005-2011 main forum so it gets more attention since it also applies to the GT's, not just the V6. Maybe one of the mods will move it.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:53 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the info! Now I will be more carefull with that side
Old 12-22-2010, 04:23 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at mine to see what's there. Have you looked under the rear of the car to see if you have the notorious gas line clip with no brace? I have that one. I have a picture in my album if you want to see it.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Loader49

Thanks, I saw the thread about the clip and the picture. I haven't looked for it yet. It's pretty sloppy in my part of the world so I'll wait for the weather to improve before I crawl under my car.

Jack
Old 12-22-2010, 05:01 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Here's an info that is worth its weight in salt, lol.

Aren't the new Stangs supposed to be better built than the 05/09??
Someone at Ford surely hired the wrong engineer it seems...
Old 12-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

So is this specific to the 2010-2011 design?

Thanks so much for posting.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:14 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Loader49
Thanks, I saw the thread about the clip and the picture. I haven't looked for it yet. It's pretty sloppy in my part of the world so I'll wait for the weather to improve before I crawl under my car.

Jack

You should be able to see it without climbing under the car. I can see mine just peering through the wheel well on the drivers side rear, as the picture shows.

Last edited by kzonts; 12-22-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:24 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Loader49
Hello all. This is my first post although I've been a long time lurker. I thought I'd share a lesson I learned today.

I just got back from my local Ford dealer after having my 2010 Pony 6 there overnight. Yesterday morning I got in it to go to work and all it would do was turnover. I had lights, radio etc., it just wouldn't start. I'm an average shade tree mechanic but today's cars require you to be an electrical engineer, which I'm not. Fortunately I've reached that stage in my life where I don't have to work on my cars and can afford to have someone else do it. So I had it towed to the dealer.

I figured it was a module or something that crapped out. Turns out it was a blown fuel pump fuse. The fuse blew because there was short to ground in the 14A005 harness which is located under the trunk mat on the driver's side. The short was caused by the 40 lb bag of salt I put there for traction in the snow. (This is my second winter of doing this with no problems getting through the snow.) The harness lies in a shallow trough and is not protected like the wiring on the passenger's side where I put another bag of salt. I've used some wood to frame the harness and prevent it from being damaged again.

I hope this is helpfull to some of you.

Jack
I know the exact harness you are talking about...

Quick Reply: Lesson Learned