Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tuner Problems.. Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 09:42 PM
whitethunder09
1st Gear Member

Default Tuner Problems.. Please Help.

Okay so I asked a stupid question earlier and you guys helped me out big time. Now I bought a tuner used from a guy on craigslist, he didnt put his stang back to stock which basically left me screwed. But He is coming to meet me tomorrow to put his stang back to stock. So I am wondering will the tuner work once his is back to stock and connected to mine? And will my car start again?! Please Help. Kinda Freakin out right now.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:33 AM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

That tuner is loaded with tunes made for a car with a different computer code,
specifications and modifications.
If you tried loading a tune with the wrong strategy,
you better call American Muscle and talk to their tune crew.
You will probably need an emailed tune for your car and tuner software.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:46 PM
JimC

If I understand your question in this and the other thread you may have turned your PCM into a nice brick.

You took the tuner and tried to load a tune on your car - and then you tried to set your car "back to stock"? Now your car won't start - because it has the wrong tune for the PCM and the ECU doesn't know what to do any longer because the program is corrupted.

If so, the stock tune that was still married to the hand held was likely the tune for the seller's car with a different strategy code and ECU calibration. Your stock tune probably never downloaded because the handheld was still married to the other car - so you scrambled the tune memory is my bet.

If he tries to set his car back to stock no telling what tune it will try to load on his car - is his tune in the memory or is yours now - or is it a corrupted file?

You probably have to go to Ford and pay to have a stock tune loaded back on your car - after that you will have to give a tuner your ECU code and strategy code so that they can write a tune for your computer. Assuming that Ford can reflash your system back to a stock tune - American Muscle can't help you with a stock tune.

Last edited by JimC; 04-11-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:07 PM
whitethunder09
1st Gear Member

So It wont work once he puts his back to stock? or Is it possible that it will work when he gets his back on stock tune?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

IF the original owner can get his stock tune back (which may or may not be possible and I'm envisioning BOTH cars non-functional), then you might stand a chance of uploading a canned tune (assuming his tunes weren't custom) AND assuming that you haven't bricked your PCM.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:56 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

How much did you pay for that tuner because you're pretty much screwed now. Not only will you have to get a stock tune from the dealer, you need that hand held unlocked AND buy a custom tune for your car. Should of done the research.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:06 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

I don't think you could have uploaded a tune from a tuner that was not already mated with you car. Can you describe in more detail what actually happened?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:51 AM
whitethunder09
1st Gear Member

Yes The owner got his original tune back to stock and put it on mine and it still did not work. I got my money back, but I am going to have to go to the ford dealership to get it a stock tune. I put an 87 tune on it and It loaded it up and then said that the tuner didnt recognize my vehichle, so I loaded it back to the original back up, then after that it wouldnt start anymore. Every Time I tried it said that it wont recognize my vehichle. At least Now I know that Im done with craigslist and just to get it new lol
Old 04-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

An expensive and frustrating lesson, to be sure.

After you get your stock tune straightened out, be sure to let whomever you go to when you order custom tunes the history. They'll be able to tell you if anything above and beyond the normal ordering process is required. Don't let this little... misshap.. deter you.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:29 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Live and learn, it happens to the best of us. Definitely don't be deterred from purchasing a tuner. It is a great mod for the money!!!!
Go to American Muscle/BAMA or Brenspeed for a new SCT tuner with custom tunes, you won't be dissapointed! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Tuner Problems.. Please Help.