Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CB Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 PM
bmasek89
2nd Gear Member

Default CB Radio

I can't wait to hear the responses I get to this question, I am sure most will be horribly against this idea. I'm looking to put a CB in the mustang, I can handle all the wiring, but I'm curious if you guys had any mounting location ideas. I was thinking buying a gauge pod for the dash and refinishing the front with some fiberglass and make it able to hold the cb. Other problem was where to put the antenna, I was thinking about the glass mount ones but they don't get any decent distance.

All and any thoughts are welcome.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:29 PM
bobbob
1st Gear Member

Hey i actually had one myself, i found that for the antenna the mounting options suck lol, if you look at my older posts ull see i have a big fin and i put it in the middle of the trunk it actually looked good, but the reception sucked, i ended up using a magnetic mount on the roof with a short whip, looked decent from a lil ways away and got the job done,

goood luck
Old 04-20-2011, 05:38 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I just hang my antenna out the passenger side window lol.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:02 AM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

i was just thinking about doing this. wish there were more posts on this thread
Old 06-17-2011, 02:49 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

your antenna needs to be on a plane. Grounded to metal. If the rear decklid is not aluminum it might work well as a safe place for a magnet mount. We used to use the K40 mag mounts on the rear deck lids and then move them to the roof when we got up to the "Crow's Nest".
Even better would be a ball mount on the rear quarter panel, but I doubt you'd want to drill holes in a nice Mustang.
My favorite was a big magnet mount. It held like glue, so I had to use some paper underneath it to protect the paint. I had a short, tunable Grizzly stick that screwed into it and got an okay signal.
Don't be cheap with antennas and you won't regret it. $100 is not too much.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:39 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Orion speaks wisdom.

Center of the roof is best. I like a good 1/4 wave magnet mount, but that's way big in the 11 meter band.

Lastly, no matter what antennae you get, find a decent two-way service to put an SWR meter on it and tune it for you. Many bad performing radios were blamed on a perfectly good antennae just because the last step of the install was skipped.

N5ZRL
Old 06-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Rshustler1
2nd Gear Member

I got a scanner and bought an antenna from eBay that's about 1.5" wide and sticks with 3m tape behind my rearview mirror, I ran the wire along the edging, it works great and you can't see it also it was like 16 dollars
Old 06-22-2011, 01:16 AM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

i ordered one a couple of days ago. the midland cb and my cheap pa speaker came in today, antenna (36in wilson lil will) is still in the mail. It should get here tomorrow and im going to try to set it up then. I will let you guys know how it turns out. Im planning on having the radio sit on the slant in the back seat that the console makes.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:37 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by aerbourne
i was just thinking about doing this. wish there were more posts on this thread
Hmmmm. Search function?
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...b-antenna.html
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ring-a-cb.html
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...d-awesome.html
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-cb-radio.html
Old 06-28-2011, 01:49 AM
aerbourne