Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

The fuel milage war!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:24 PM
rocket fuel
1st Gear Member

Lightbulb The fuel milage war!

Hello all,
So i recently got back from deployment and was trying to decide whether to go with CAI or a high flow air filter for my 05 V6. I only drive it a few times a week but I would like to keep my gas mileage decent. With my indecision i bought BOTH... I wanted to settle this once and for all so i am going to be doing common driving on both and i will post the stats up here as i go. If anybody has any special requests please let me know.

High Flow air filer: 23.6MPG (75% City / 25% Highway)
Miles driven: 841
Fuel used(G): 36

CAI:
Miles driven:
Fuel used:

UPDATE: I would be further along but some lady backed into my car recently just got her back. ill post the pics when i can.
*This is a working thread*

Last edited by rocket fuel; 07-05-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:26 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I doubt you will see a difference if any it will be marginal...
Old 06-16-2011, 04:17 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Maybe an economy tune would save you an mpg or 2 but I'm skeptical about the results of this... I think you need to post a control trial: car with stock airbox
Old 06-16-2011, 05:04 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

I think there's no way for you to do this scientifically because the margins are going to be so small and there's no way to be completely consistent in your driving pattern and style. When I first got my car, I put in a K&N drop in filter. I saw a slight (like maybe 1 mpg) gain in mileage. When I put in the CAI and tune,, my mileage actually went down because now I can't help but mash the pedal. It's just too much fun! If you get a high mpg tune you MAY see 1-2 mpg gain.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:26 PM
L454S

Default MPG

Driving with an eye on MPG there is very low air flow through the engine. How exactly do you think either of the mods you mention is going to effect MPG?

The factory air cleaner is already a CAI, just a quiet one. A drop in MAY flow more air, but unless the factory filter is a restriction, there is no gain either low RPM or high RPM
Old 06-17-2011, 07:48 AM
rocket fuel
1st Gear Member

Well its more for my curiosity, wasn't sure how many other people have had the same question. and i know the results will have small differences. as for a control i got 21MPG with the stock air filter.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:15 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I get 23 mpg most of the time and that is calculated by hand. The onboard dash pc says I average 27 mpg.
I'm thinking about getting a CAI and tune but I know I will not be able to keep my foot off the pedal.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:43 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
I get 23 mpg most of the time and that is calculated by hand. The onboard dash pc says I average 27 mpg.
I'm thinking about getting a CAI and tune but I know I will not be able to keep my foot off the pedal.
Once you upload a custom tune, it will be very difficult to keep from mashing your foot on the gas pedal!!! It is way too much fun!! =-)
Old 06-21-2011, 04:55 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Well... since mine came with a K&N filter already installed... actually I do have a stock paper filter that I throw in there when I'm cleaning / drying / re-oiling the K&N... but I never really checked fuel usage.

As to the stock airbox... anyone else take off that wee "schnorkel" that necks down and sort of sticks into the fender? I figure it's entirely psychological... but I swear removing that made a difference.

If nothing else... it was a green light for MICE to decide my airbox was an acorn warehouse...
Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Good luck. First of all, you could make ZERO changes to your intakes and see about 2-4 MPG variance in your fuel mileage even with driving the exact same roads over a period of 1-2 years and 50-100 datapoints. Second, you spent more on even just the useless drop-in then what you're payback would be over that 1-2 year period. Third, WTF did you buy a Mustang for if a lousy MPG or 2 is such a concern?

Hopefully, you're simply bored and are using this "experiment" as an excuse to do what you BOUGHT the STang for in the first place: drive the living chit out of it and get as much wood as possible.

Quick Reply: The fuel milage war!