Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Flowmaster setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 02:31 PM
cman332001
1st Gear Member

Default Flowmaster setup

Just got a flowmaster setup true dual after each cat into an x-pipe. I must say it sounds great and runs way better than stock. This is the only mod I have so far so I know all the performance increase is from the change. I heard lots of noise about freeing up the v6 too much and could lead to lowend torque loss.... not sure if this happened but if it did nothing but performance increase is noticable especially 0-60 .... A friend of mine owns a performance shop in denver so after I get CAI I am going to dyno and post results here.

for anyone looking for a custome exhaust I can atest that flowmaster with xpipe is a great setup. I looked into all the ypipe kits and I am happy I did not choose any of them. Meineke will do a custome exhaust with flowmaster or Super Flowmaster 40's for around the same price u will pay for a bolt-on kit..........

thanks to all in this forum since I used all the info I gathered here to help me in my decision!!!

Old 09-06-2005, 03:17 PM
haledixon

Default RE: Flowmaster setup

i went to meineke to have it done, walked out with a $750 estimate, part of which was them trying to charge me $189 EACH for the flowmasters, the rest was inflated prices on their cheapass aluminized pipes and chrome tips and just a welded X-over pipe (h-pipe). I ended up getting a couple GT takeoffs, a new GT bumper from Ford, had it painted and in the end the exhaust work (from a local greasy dirty real muffler shop) + bumper + painting and installation ran about $200 LESS than what meineke wanted to originally charge me and from what i've heard, the flowmasters are way to loud for my taste anyway.

as far as them doing it for the same price you'd get a bolt-on kit for, they told me if i wanted, i could buy a bolt-on kit, and they'd be happy to install it for $250. nice of them, eh?

i hope you got a better deal than that, but sfar as i'm concerned i wouldn't trust em with an oil change anymore, let alone any real work.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:43 PM
cman332001
1st Gear Member

xpipe , 2 flowmaster 40's , chrome tips , cut bumper (did good job - I was nervous initially) , and labor = $500......

all the good bolt on kits run $400 - $500 before shipping..... not sure why it varies from shop to shop but I would not have done it for $700 either...
Old 09-10-2005, 09:53 PM
burdweiser
2nd Gear Member

ok, I did a litte shopping today for a system. I was looking for the same thing as cman332001...
Went to Mindas and they wanted around $700 to install the same system with Magnaflows. It was $600 with the Flowmasters. They said the Flowmasters are cheeper because they are an alliminum muffler. Both places didn't even want to mess with cutting my bumper. The manager at Meineke really encouraged me to buy a bolt on systems from the internet. He said he would be more than happy to take my money, but there are systems on the internet that are a whole lot cheeper.
Of course both places asked the dumb question "why didn't you just buy a GT?". I responded with "I didn't want to spend 10K more, didn't want the insurance payments and the gas milage".
Old 09-10-2005, 11:19 PM
bertkey1
1st Gear Member

i got dual 40 flowmasters no x pipe and it cost me $520 for it all that included tips of my choice, my guy also said he would stick x pipe in for 50 if i ever decide to do it, he cut the bumper too it was very nicely done
Old 09-10-2005, 11:29 PM
05redfireV6

I paid $330.00 for flowmasters and exhaust with an h-pipe. I bought a set of headers from Mac performance for $289.00 and had them installed for $175.00. I love the sound and you can sure feel a definate increase in torque. I have to be careful when taking off, otherwise the car is real jerky and it will take off in 1st gear.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:47 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Meineke is evil, they wanted a 700 from me as well. I have never seen a good quote from them.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:35 PM
cman332001
1st Gear Member

Sorry guys I thought they were consistant... I was happy with the price and 2weeks later still happy with the work they did.... I paid $500 and maybe $45 in tax so all in all my setup was $545.00. I went with Flowmaster because I heard the setup with them and liked it.... plus I know they are a great muffler..... trust me I almost bought a kit but instead got true duals behind each cat into an xpipe... none of the kits were true duals except a JBA kit I was looking into and that was like $600 before shipping costs......guess it is hit or miss Meineke ... One in Longmont CO is awesome though
Old 09-12-2005, 05:12 PM
MustangScott
1st Gear Member

I guess I kind of got jipped, but i'm not too worried. I went to a shop in San Diego (AB&A) Got tru duals w/X-pipe and 2 flowmaster 40 series, with some Wicked Tips (wicked is the brand...not that they arent wicked, cuz they are) It ran me 600 bucks even (after tax and everything) They fabricated the pipes in front of me, and did the fender trimming (which turned out nice) Even painted over the weld burns. I think the price was descent, but maybe they saw me coming. What ya think 600 for fabricated pipes, tips, mufflers and install? (i think the tips were like 150 for the pair but i got a deal)

Oh... And it sounds GREAT!!!!
Old 09-12-2005, 07:22 PM
cman332001
1st Gear Member

Scott it sounds like u got a pretty good deal.. things in CA are more expensive then they are in CO in general..... especially if u are happy with the work... Thing on the tips just want to make sure they are stainless steel chrome.... or u will have to wax the hell out of them to keep them from rusting out....

Quick Reply: Flowmaster setup