Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Woodie

Default Winter Storage

I am looking for suggestions on how to store a 2012 V6 Mustang Convertible. I am a little concerned about the block since it is aluminum.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Search around, there is a TON of threads on this. But the block will be more then fine, change the oil before you put it away, and after you pull it out, fill all your fluids, put on jack stands if dont want flat spots in your tires potentially, disconnect the battery or put a battery tender on it, if you DO fire it up, get it up to operating temp, dont just run it for 5 mins and shut off.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:50 PM
JimC

Not sure why the block would concern you - lots of cars are outside all winter and driven daily. As long as you have anti-freeze in the system it shouldn't present any problems.

I've also read that you don't need to put it up on jack stands because tires today tend not to flat spot, but do put some heavy cardboard under each tire to keep the crap on the floor from seeping up into the tires themselves and causing cracking. If you put it up on jack stands your suspension is unloaded and could present some problems with a prolonged unloaded storage.

I've never stored my car for the winter, I drive it every day in all kinds of weather - 181,200 on it today.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Plenty of threads to choose from on this subject. I used to store both Stangs before finally moving south. The Stangs are ready for action 365 days a year.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:23 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I store mine for the winter. Stabil in the gas tank. Battery tender connected to the battery, and the car cover goes on. She hibernates all winter in the garage with no problems.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:02 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

I just put it in the garage with a full tank of fuel, start it every week and run till up to normal temp, and I`ll drive it around the block if the neighborhood roads are decent. Decent means not freshly salted and not too badly rutted. A little snow and ice is good for the soul.

I do drive it if my kids or grandkids have one of the other two and I need to get somewhere. Drives ok.

Oh, ya......cardboard works too.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:16 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Im curious in this too. Im going to England for a semester abroad So mine will be in a storage unit untouched for 3 months...

My other question is how to safely disconnect the battery? Id rather not fry myself...
Old 08-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

I'll give 2 thumbs up for the Batter Tender Plus. My 07 Pony gets cranked about once every 3 weeks. Never an issue since adding the Battery Tender Plus 3 years ago. BTW, I use the cigarette lighter adapter on it.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:43 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
I store mine for the winter. Stabil in the gas tank. Battery tender connected to the battery, and the car cover goes on. She hibernates all winter in the garage with no problems.
That is EXACTLY what I do!! and 45psi in the tires
Old 09-03-2011, 07:55 AM
Chris45215

If you will keep it stored for a few months, then research some fuel additives that are made to help preserve the fuel for months at a time; I know that Jay Leno has endorsed some on his Jay Leno's Garage website, and Dragul mentioned Stabil which is a good product.
And if you run the car in the garage every few weeks to keep the engine in good shape, then it's worth re-iterating that the garage door should be OPEN. We don't want to see an advertisement for a used 2012 Mustang that says "virtually new, garaged all winter and tested once..."

Quick Reply: Winter Storage