Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Now--JMS CAI pics posted (was-Xcal2 here, error codes)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 10:57 PM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

Default Now--JMS CAI pics posted (was-Xcal2 here, error codes)

Ok, so the Xcal2/JMS CAI did arrive today afterall (crazy UPS).

Anyhow---I installed the CAI without much to complain about (hard to stretch hose over pipe, but I got it). I went ahead and started the car. It started, but seemed to idle a bit rough. Not too much of a suprise, so I went ahead and flashed with the Xcal2--expecting all to become well. Heh.

After flashing with the "economy" tune (87 octane), the dash computer says "FAILSAFE ENGINE MODE" and the icon for the engine lights up. It runs a bit rough, and obviously isn't "right."

I checked the error codes, it finds two: P060c and P2106

If I clear the codes, the engine light goes away, but the FAILSAFE ENGINE MODE is still showing. If I shut the engine off and turn it back on, the engine light comes back, and the 2 error codes are back.

I did flash back to stock--the error codes go away and the FAILSAFE message is gone. However, it runs very rough (it does have the new CAI afterall). I repeated the flash to economy, and got the same results above.

One additional thought---and I may have shot myself in the foot with this one---I had them build the tunes for "dual exhaust with cats and a X-over pipe" in anticipation of having those soon. I know it's not an exact match, but might this explain my problems?? I honestly expected it to at least "work"...

Any suggestions?
Old 09-23-2005, 12:31 AM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Xcal2 here, error codes--need help

I found this in the SCT faq on their website: http://www.sctflash.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1751

Q: I just installed my CAI on my 2005 mustang gt and used an 87 octane tune from a dealer. I drove it around a bit and then got a CEL and the message center displayed FAILSAFE ENGINE MODE. I checked the SCT2 and got these codes. P061b, P2106.

A: You need to make sure they setup your tune for the cold air kit. If they didn't you will have problems with the CEL light and it going into failsafe mode

That's a match on one code, and really close on the other. Guess I'll have to wait and chat with JMS tomorrow. Maybe I have the wrong tunes in my unit??

Bleh.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:37 AM
mtal1259
1st Gear Member

I installed a AEM cold air intake, before doing anything else (i now have the XCAL2, but my car was dynotuned with it).I did have to drive around for a while before it seemed to make a difference (about 5 miles??). But after having the car dyno tuned, it runs awesome. I spent a little more to go this way, versus just buying a tuner with several programs like you did. But I figured that every car is going to be a little different, and I didnt mind paying a couple $100 bucks to have it done for my specific car. And I couldnt be happier. I would suggest you find a reputable dealer, and have them dyno-tune it for you. But if you are going to add dual exhaust, it might change it again, and then you pay double for this service. (I am going to have this problem, but I will have the same dealer install my exhaust so hopefully they wont kill me on the re-tune).

[IMG]local://upfiles/21823/E2F24BF251DE4DE9A9ECD306B46648DD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-23-2005, 07:39 AM
زoe
1st Gear Member

Try loading the 93 tune, I read somewhere on the forums that this might work. You might have to send it back because there was a bug that got released with these tuners, I will find the link here in a second

here we go

https://mustangforums.com/m_672635/m.../tm.htm#673919
Old 09-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: زoe

Try loading the 93 tune, I read somewhere on the forums that this might work. You might have to send it back because there was a bug that got released with these tuners, I will find the link here in a second

here we go

https://mustangforums.com/m_672635/m.../tm.htm#673919
Hi Joe,

You're appear to be exactly right! Last night I only tried the first 2 tunes---the 87 and 91--both gave failsafe/check engine light. This morning I tried the 93 octane "performance tune" (with 87 gas..heh) and it did NOT give me any errors.. The throttle was noticeably "touchier" and it was idling well, even with the stock air filter back in.

Guess I'll have to work with JMS and see what they can do to get me squared away ASAP.

Thanks for the reminder! I knew about this, but never imagined it was "still an issue" with some units.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:31 PM
زoe
1st Gear Member

lol, now all you need is some 93 octane , but you definately need to send it back like you said.

good luck!!
Old 09-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

it was either jmschips or brenspeed for me, I think this decides it. I will be ordering one this week but it'll be from brenspeed i believe
Old 09-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

I spoke on the phone with both JMS and SCT today---they both think it is a software issue and that new tunes loaded will fix me up.

JMS says they will email the .XTR files (or is it .XRT? heh) this afternoon so that I can reload the Xcal2. It's a simple process and hopefully I'll be good to go.

So, it may be fixed faster than if they shipped a new unit overnight

Another comments---SCT had very nice things to say about JMS, so that's a good thing.

As they say, however---the proof will be in the puddin'!
Old 09-24-2005, 02:05 AM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

they will have nice things to say about them, the guy who started jmschips is the same guy who left jmschips and left it for the employees to run while he went out and started a company that designed and now builds :lol: the sct's.small world huh? This info was in the mustang5.0 magazine a month or two ago.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:08 AM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

how you makin out with that tuner?

Quick Reply: Now--JMS CAI pics posted (was-Xcal2 here, error codes)