Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

stainless works really that good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by pardopachiv
brought my takeoff gt mufflers, and frpp x pipe to a local hotrod custom place recommended by many parts guy couple days ago; tried to customize my v6 dual system. got turned down by the owner; who said he would not use my parts but stainless works to build the entire exhaust system from headers to mufflers because of better quality, fitness, no leaking and many other superior advantages. the price that i got quote on the catback was almost $1000, not saying the longtube headers and x-pipe (well over another $1000 according to SW's website). they charge $75 per hour labor. in the effort to convince me, he showed me their work on a camaro ss with SW exhaust system...which sounds really good, nothing like i heard before, have ti give credit for that though.

they also provide custom dyno tune; guys said the handheld sct tuner won't do me any good b/c that it doesn't take into consideration of local cold weather, and many other factors. thay charge $780 to tune my v6 mustang for any fuel quality i want.

another interesting thing that draw my attention was that they use Cold Ait Inductions Inc. intake kit on cars that they modified; the insulated filter housing looked really attractive. anybody has experience with Cold Ait Inductions Inc. (very pricey by the way)
Cold Air Inductions doesn't make Ford intakes. It's all GM/Mopar.

Custom dyno tune will not take into account local weather either in that it changes over time. Example. I have an AM/Bama 91P tune in my car that runs awesome for 8 months out of the year. The day we start hitting the 100's (I live in AZI) I will start to get pinging so I have to retard the timing in all ranges by 3 degrees to avoid that. I can feel a little loss in power. I keep it this way for the entire summer until temps start dropping in Sept. Then I put it back to the default timing settings.

SO, going by the shops logic, in order to avoid any pinging, ever, the tune should come "detuned" (permantentyl retarded from AM) to avoid pining during the summer.

I don't agree with that logic and a dyno tune (for a mild bolt-on car) is a waste of money. The differences between a decent AM/Breenpeed/Lund Racing tune and a dyno tune is negligble (if even existent) for mild bolt ons.

As for the exhaust, you can take a GT exhaust and just get a modified X or Y pipe to connect it ot your headers. Way less expensive.

The shop may be top notch but what they are offering is out of your league (it's not a dig on you). Do you want to spend over $3k for exhaust and a tune? If you want to and you have the cash, go for it. For me, it's a questionable expenditure for such little return. if you plan on showing the car, the exhaust will be worth it otherwise...

This reminds me of an episode of Unique Autosports I saw once on TV. http://www.uniqueautosport.com/ these guys do work on celebrity cars. Some of it nice, some of it glam, and some just horrific but whatever. They had an episode where a guy in a 350Z came in (decent looking car) and wanted a custom stereo. He had a $5-7K budget for equipment and some customization.

The owner of the place kind of chuckled and told him that for that price he couldn't even swap the factory stuff out. Told him to come back when he has a more realistic budget he can work with, $20-30K.+

That's what this shop sounds like.

Last edited by Derf00; 06-20-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:30 PM
pardopachiv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Cold Air Inductions doesn't make Ford intakes. It's all GM/Mopar.

Custom dyno tune will not take into account local weather either in that it changes over time. Example. I have an AM/Bama 91P tune in my car that runs awesome for 8 months out of the year. The day we start hitting the 100's (I live in AZI) I will start to get pinging so I have to retard the timing in all ranges by 3 degrees to avoid that. I can feel a little loss in power. I keep it this way for the entire summer until temps start dropping in Sept. Then I put it back to the default timing settings.

SO, going by the shops logic, in order to avoid any pinging, ever, the tune should come "detuned" (permantentyl retarded from AM) to avoid pining during the summer.

I don't agree with that logic and a dyno tune (for a mild bolt-on car) is a waste of money. The differences between a decent AM/Breenpeed/Lund Racing tune and a dyno tune is negligble (if even existent) for mild bolt ons.

As for the exhaust, you can take a GT exhaust and just get a modified X or Y pipe to connect it ot your headers. Way less expensive.

The shop may be top notch but what they are offering is out of your league (it's not a dig on you). Do you want to spend over $3k for exhaust and a tune? If you want to and you have the cash, go for it. For me, it's a questionable expenditure for such little return. if you plan on showing the car, the exhaust will be worth it otherwise...

This reminds me of an episode of Unique Autosports I saw once on TV. http://www.uniqueautosport.com/ these guys do work on celebrity cars. Some of it nice, some of it glam, and some just horrific but whatever. They had an episode where a guy in a 350Z came in (decent looking car) and wanted a custom stereo. He had a $5-7K budget for equipment and some customization.

The owner of the place kind of chuckled and told him that for that price he couldn't even swap the factory stuff out. Told him to come back when he has a more realistic budget he can work with, $20-30K.+

That's what this shop sounds like.
Yeah, I figured it out the same way. I took the car to a recommended local muffler shop, converted with my FRPP x-pipe and GT takeoff mufflers, they used aluminized pipe (seems to be) for driver side midpipe; charged me for $280 cash.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pardopachiv
any difference to the performance, sound?
The pipe material will make no difference in the sound or performance, other than lifespan.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:03 PM
pardopachiv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Mustanger
The pipe material will make no difference in the sound or performance, other than lifespan.
fair enough, hopefully, it will last for at least 2 to 3 year for me to save money for a whole new set of exhaust.

Little imperfection from the mid-pipe installation, the driver side mid-pipe was not welded in a mirror position as to the passenger side mid-pipe, slightly positoned to the driver side if consider the driveshaft as the center line.