Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rear Rattle

Old 09-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Paul_VS
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear Rattle

I thought this noise was some stuff I had in the trunk, but I took everything out of it today and the "clunk" is still there.

I put the rear seats down so I could try to locate it better.... best description I can give is that it sounds like a hollow wooden box is loose inside the driver's side rear quarter panel. Makes a clunking noise when going over a bump that "jolts" the car a little bit. Something is definitely loose and hitting something else. I'm wondering if it is the exhaust hanger issue, or maybe the fuel filler pipe banging into something.

I've got an appointment to take it into the dealer, but obviously would rather fix it myself if it's quick & painless.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Paul_VS
I thought this noise was some stuff I had in the trunk, but I took everything out of it today and the "clunk" is still there.

I put the rear seats down so I could try to locate it better.... best description I can give is that it sounds like a hollow wooden box is loose inside the driver's side rear quarter panel. Makes a clunking noise when going over a bump that "jolts" the car a little bit. Something is definitely loose and hitting something else. I'm wondering if it is the exhaust hanger issue, or maybe the fuel filler pipe banging into something.

I've got an appointment to take it into the dealer, but obviously would rather fix it myself if it's quick & painless.
check your mufflers and pipes...
Old 09-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Paul_VS
2nd Gear Member

Dealer fixed it... it was the sway bar end link. Seems to be a common problem with this model. They replaced both of them.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:22 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Dealer fixed it... it was the sway bar end link. Seems to be a common problem with this model. They replaced both of them.
Thank you for the info, Paul_VS!

Deysha
Old 09-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Paul_VS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Thank you for the info, Paul_VS!

Deysha
You're welcome.

By the way, do you happen to know if Ford has redesigned/improved these sway bar end links, or are the new ones most likely the same type that were originally installed?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:40 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

You're welcome.
By the way, do you happen to know if Ford has redesigned/improved these sway bar end links, or are the new ones most likely the same type that were originally installed?
I’m not sure, Paul_VS. Your dealer is able to provide you with this info. They can compare the part numbers and read the updates.

Deysha
Old 09-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Paul_VS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordService
I’m not sure, Paul_VS. Your dealer is able to provide you with this info. They can compare the part numbers and read the updates.

Deysha
Well I talked to the dealer and they said the replacement part # was the same, so it looks like there was no change.

Kind of disappointed in Ford on this since there is obviously an issue with them wearing out prematurely.... there are numerous posts on this problem stating that the links wear out in <20,000 miles in most cases.

It will most likely result in them wearing out again.... just about the time my warranty will have expired.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:32 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Well I talked to the dealer and they said the replacement part # was the same, so it looks like there was no change.

Kind of disappointed in Ford on this since there is obviously an issue with them wearing out prematurely.... there are numerous posts on this problem stating that the links wear out in <20,000 miles in most cases.

It will most likely result in them wearing out again.... just about the time my warranty will have expired.
I understand, Paul_VS. I recommend you keep your receipts in case any recalls come up in the future. Also, I’m happy to get this documented in your file as well. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha