Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

XCAL2 question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 09:10 PM
mtal1259
1st Gear Member

Default XCAL2 question

I had my car dyno-tuned recently with XCAL2. But the dealer did not remove the 115mph governor. I also didnt get any instruction manual with the XCAL2, should I have??? Anyone know if this is something I can do myself without changing the custom tune? Or should I take it back and have them re-do the program?

[IMG]local://upfiles/21823/BF3C53420443498C81B9071DAF4B72C3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: XCAL2 question

End users (you and me) don't have the ability to remove the top speed limit. You'll have to ask your dealer/tuner to do it for you...

My XCal2 didn't even come in a box! It was just in a peanut filled box...instructions amounted to a small, 1 sheet/4 page set of instructions...basically worthless (and not really needed!!)

Old 10-10-2005, 09:33 PM
mtal1259
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I was trying to figure it out, but wasnt able to get anywhere. Getting Magnaflow duals installed tomorrow at the same dealer, will have him take care of it. Was hoping I could do it myself, oh well.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:36 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Are you sure the XCAL can't remove the speed govenor? My pred had a option to remove it. And I doubt the pred would have a configurable option over the XCAL.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:28 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

You can remove the speed limiter... you need to have your dealer provide you with the .xtr files (tune export files). You then need to down load "extreme tune" from SCT. Use Extreme Tune to make changes to your tune (the .xtr files) and then upload it to the X-Cal2 so you can flash your car..

Check out the following links:

http://www.sctflash.com/downloads.php

http://www.sctflash.com/forum/

The main thing is getting your dealer to provide the .xtr files... and you'll need a USB printer style cable...

Old 10-11-2005, 12:26 AM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

scrming---when I try to remove the speed limiter, it says I cannot do it because I need the file "removed.scv"

I have .XTR files from my dealer and from SCT directly. The same problem exists with each of them. Trying to remove the speed limiter triggers the error.

I've gotten too much practice loading tunes into the Xcal2

If you have the removed.scv file---would you be so kind as to share it???

Old 10-11-2005, 11:30 AM
burdweiser
2nd Gear Member

I still don't understand how some Mustangs can have a top speed limiter and some do not. I've had my car up to 130MPH before and I felt I could have gone faster! I just didn't want to try and go faster than that because I have the cheepy stock tires on my car, don't want those blowing up! I swear, one of these days I'm going to do a video of my speedometer showing my top speed.
I just hope that when I do decide to get a XCAL2 or a Diablo tuner that it doesn't place the speed limiter on my car.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

burdweiser,

As far as factory settings? Wow, I'm suprised they aren't all the same. When you was car built?

As for SCT Tunes---the basic tune (at least for V6 autos) that comes from SCT to the dealers/vendors do include the stock limit of like 112 MPH. If you ask your dealer, it is likely that they'll raise it, or remove it. With current firmware, you cannot remove the speed limiter with the handheld unit. In my experience, you have to have the right file "extra file" (which I do not) to be able to remove the speed limit using their current Extreme Tune software. Who knows what the future holds...

As for Predator tunes---from what I've read, they can remove the speed limit from the tune via the handheld unit.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:11 AM
mtal1259
1st Gear Member

Ok, so I went back to the dealer yesterday, and had them install my Magnaflow duals, (by the way - they are AWESOME!!) and mentioned this to him. He actually showed me on his laptop connected to the tuner, where to change the top speed, but when we changed it, it does not take! He called SCT, and they told him that it should not be changed because of something with the gears at speeds of higher that 115mph. They told my dealer to have me data-log at 115mph (great, hope I dont get caught by the cops), and they would change it after seeing the data.

Thanks for the links SCRMING!

Old 10-13-2005, 01:29 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mtal1259

Ok, so I went back to the dealer yesterday, and had them install my Magnaflow duals, (by the way - they are AWESOME!!) and mentioned this to him. He actually showed me on his laptop connected to the tuner, where to change the top speed, but when we changed it, it does not take! He called SCT, and they told him that it should not be changed because of something with the gears at speeds of higher that 115mph. They told my dealer to have me data-log at 115mph (great, hope I dont get caught by the cops), and they would change it after seeing the data.

Thanks for the links SCRMING!

That sucks...you have to wait and risk a ticket. Dosent $400 bucks count for anything anymore. Dude, your ride sounds sweet, how about some more pics. Wait till your mufflers break in, you will love it even more. Mine are broken in and I love them.

Quick Reply: XCAL2 question