Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Alignment problems after lowering

Old 10-26-2005, 09:43 PM
mtal1259
1st Gear Member

Default Alignment problems after lowering

I just had Eibach Sportline springs installed on my car. Dropped the car 1.7 and 2.0 inches. Took it to an alignment shop and they say that the camber or caster cannot be adjusted. I am sitting about 0.5 degrees out. So basically I am screwed because I dropped the car. Anyone have any experience with this, please help. I have $250+ each tires on the car, and dont want to be replacing them every 10K miles because of this.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:51 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Alignment problems after lowering

ORIGINAL: mtal1259

I just had Eibach Sportline springs installed on my car. Dropped the car 1.7 and 2.0 inches. Took it to an alignment shop and they say that the camber or caster cannot be adjusted. I am sitting about 0.5 degrees out. So basically I am screwed because I dropped the car. Anyone have any experience with this, please help. I have $250+ each tires on the car, and dont want to be replacing them every 10K miles because of this.

A good alignment shop should be able to drill and slot your car to align the car... I had H&R springs that lowered the car 7/8 inch and in a couple of thousand miles was already chopping my tires... I put the stock springs back in... (they are better at the track)
Old 10-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Torkfastback
1st Gear Member

No need to notch. Here is the latest and greatest info to solve your proble. Very easy fix.

Copied this from my other post:

I called Eibach and they told me about a new product just out for the 05/06 stang. A company called SPC makes a camber bolt for $30 that can be installed in 5 minutes by taking off the wheel. It will adjust up to 1.75 camber...way more than the lowering kits are thowing things off. http://www.specprod.com/ I called the company and they told me about their web site...very cool. Go to the top of their page and select apps/products, then applications on the next page, then enter in Ford, Mustang, 2005. The EZ CAM XR part number 81260 will pop up. They even have a great "how to" section that shows exactly how to use the bolts. If you have already installed your front springs, these bolts do not require pulling them out like the plates do. Anyway, very cool, very cheap. No notching (as described by the Ford Service manual).

Hope this helps. I ordered the bolts from Orielly Auto Prats today for $30. Called Les Shwaub Tire as well and they have already started using them.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:02 AM
mtal1259
1st Gear Member

Torkfastback,
Thanks for the info. The alignment shop I went to referred me to another shop who does Mustangs. Talked to this guy, and he had a Steeda part which would also do the trick, but apparently this requires drilling, and removing parts, etc. Total installed price is a little over $400. I put incorrect info in my first post. I am off by 0.5 degrees in Camber and close to 5.0 degrees in Caster. I am not sure how much the SPC will help me, but I will surely research it further before dropping the big bucks. Thaks again for the post!
Old 10-27-2005, 01:44 AM
Torkfastback
1st Gear Member

You are the first stanger that has said he had ANY caster problems after lowering. Almost sounds like they have the springs or struts in a lttle tweeked. Think about the geometry. As long as there is no change to the tie rods, just lowering the car will only effect the caster. The struts are installed with a slight (20 deg) inward angle. When the springs are shortened as with lowering, the top of the spindle is pulled up a little...causing the negative camber. I just do not see how the caster would be effected??

Let me know how this all works out. Hope you find an affordible solution.

Cheers.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:11 PM
mtal1259
1st Gear Member

Ahh, you are right. I looked at my printout from the alignment shop a little closer, they put in the specs for a 2003-2004 Mustang.
My caster is 7.8 left and 7.8 right, spec is 7.1 +/- 0.5, so I am only slightly out of spec. But the 2004 spec is 2.5 +/- 0.5!!!
My camber is -1.7 left and -1.3 right, spec is -0.75 +/- 0.5, so I am slightly out there too.

There are two solutions I have found. The first is the Camber bolt by SPC you mentioned.
Steeda also makes a Billet Camber Adjusters (p/n 555-8096), this is $189, plus a whole lot more labor intensive.

I am going to order the bolt, this seems like a better solution.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Torkfastback
1st Gear Member

Great! Boy do I feel better. Caster should not be too effected ...if at all.

Glad it worked out. Please post your findings on the bolts and how they worked.

Cheers.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Buschris

Installed the Sportlines also, and went to O'Reilly's and got the cam bolts. I must say, they did the trick! best $30 ever spent!
Old 11-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Stckman
2nd Gear Member

i hope this kind of problem doesnt happen with PRO kit installation...i must admit that those sportlines look like extremely low ride... i dont wanna be that low... anyone have problems with EIBACH PRO KITS and allignment issues?
Old 11-09-2005, 12:46 AM
Torkfastback
1st Gear Member

I just installed the prolines. Definitely as low as I would ever want to go. Stock 17s fill up the whell well perfectly. Back springs take 30 minutes. front about 2 hours. I went ahead and got the camber bolts for $30. They worked great. Gives you +- or - 1.75 camber adjust. Cheap and easy fix. Make sure that the alighnment shop puts a good torque on both the camber bolt and the lower bolt. Do not want them to loosen in that it is the turn of the bolt taht determines the camber adjustment level.
For those of you who already have your springs in, the bolts can be installed by just removing your wheel...no need to remove the spring assembly.

Cheers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alignment problems after lowering