Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Automatic window and cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 12:11 AM
Ole Man Mustang

Default Automatic window and cold weather

One of the cool little things I liked about my Mustang is the windows lowering just a bit when you open or close the door. Now, that cold weather is coming (I live in good ole' Kentucky), what's going to happen when we have a freeze? I keep it in the garage at home, but if I'm at work and we all of sudden have a good Kentucky ice storm, what will happen. Will I blow a fuse? Will the window break? Is it going to freeze to the door and tear something up? Might be a stupid question, but it just kinda got me wondering.

Ole Man
Old 11-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: Automatic window and cold weather

I would think it is designed to make it through the winter OK.... if not... there are going to be a lot of warentee repairs in the midwest.

HEY old Man..... We can't make out the women in your profile picture... LOL.. how about posting a full size!
Old 11-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Ole Man Mustang

I'll see if I can't post a better picture. One of them is my wife, so you can tell me how pretty she is. The other is my granddaughter. Out of respect for me, let's not say anything about her looks or I could get upset.

Ole Man
Old 11-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

HAHAHA../

Dayum Old Man... not fair... if we say your grandaughter is ugly - - you could get mad and run over us.. and if we say she is pretty, you might think were perverts and run over us!.. ... a Catch 22 for sure!
Old 11-03-2005, 06:53 PM
cathane

Hey Ole Man Mustang,

I haven't gone through a winter yet with my Mustang (bought it in the spring), but a close friend and coworker of mine bought the first 05 in the province last Oct, and he didn't have a hitch with it all winter... And in case you're wondering, I live in St. John's, Newfoundland... where we get as much Freezing Rain as snow in the winter. I was skeptical when he bought the car last fall how it would react, but it worked fine. And in case you're wondering, we had a rather mild winter last year so it went from Heavy snow to freezing rain and back numerous times. Later

Cathane
Old 11-03-2005, 07:11 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Got mine in January. Winter was pretty mild this year and I always keep 'er in the garage anyways. I always wonder about moving parts that don't seem to really have a reason to move (windows don't do this on most cars)... just seems like an unneeded failure waiting to happen. Well, the weather is turning... we'll find out if there's a problem soon enough.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:32 PM
dinoe254

yea i got the first stang from any dealer around here. the ford website didn't even say they were out yet so i've had mine since november of last year. i went through the whole winter and i got plenty of snow and cold weather. i live in boston and i had no troubles with the window. i kept my car in the garage over night but i would leave outside during the day from like 7 in the morning til like 9 or 10 at night during the winter and nothing ever went wrong. so you're good to go!
Old 11-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Jim Smyth
1st Gear Member

This is called the Short Drop Window feature and it is going to be a problem! I went to my local service manager and asked him this very question 6 months ago since my car is going to be a daily driver and I live in the Chicago area. This problem even applies to when you battery goes dead so it isnt strictly a cold weather issue. He called the Ford guru in Michigan and was told they tested the car in Minnesota over last winter and didnt have any problems. Personally I aint buying it. I live in Chicago and when we have ice storms the whole glass freezes over tighter than your 1st prom date. I have had cars with electic windows before this that have had frozen ice on them from an ice storm and they wouldnt budge an inch if you tried to open them! Not until you chiseled off all the ice. The service manager told me that if it was his car, he would recommend getting a car cover to put on the car for those situations. I now have a car cover in the trunk since my car spends a good amount of time outside for days on end with work and travel. He also recommended putting a can of deicer in the trunk so you can spray the window down before tring to open the door. He also said that if all else fails you can (per the Ford Michigan guru) pull real hard and it will pop the window over the track and you will be able to get in, but he said not to do that too many times. That was comforting! Plus even if you do that to get in, how do you shut it afterwards? Personally I think its a real $hitty design!