Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 12:17 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Default Supercharger question?

What is more involved in installing a supercharger? Labor wise, Im wouldn't do it myself. I know you don't just slap it in in 30 min like a CAI. My buddy says I would have to bore out the engine and do all sorts of stuff before I could run a SC. Is he right would I haft to have my motor rebuilt? Can someone with personal experience or who has looked into it them selves enlighten me. I know the SC it self is like $3000 to $5000. I just dont see the point if you haft to rebuild the engine and spend another $1200 to $2000 doing that. You mine as well just buy a bigger engine that would have the HP that the v6 with a SC would have right? Is it possible to SC with out any major rebuilds or modifications to the engine. I could deal with a bigger Throttle bodie or MAF but boring out my engine is a bit much yeah?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:45 AM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger question?

With a good tune and a conservative amount of boost then you can keep the stock engine the way it is. Install will be around 10-12 hours depending on the experience of those doing the install. If you take it to a pro then they charge you by the hour and can get you a dyno tune to get the most out of your S/C.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:06 AM
TheWillofDeath

I thought installing a S/C was just to take out the engine. Replace the CAI with the SC cai, add new tubings to fit it around, bolt the S/C on and weld some parts... if theres more to it I'd be interested to know how they install it :\
I guess im just waiting to get out of high school and get into engineering

Lastly GJP05 am I the only one whos going to notice that theres a trash can knocked down on your signature pic? Nice stang btw.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:44 AM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

At leat its not in my yard. Thanks for the compliment. To install the S/C they first remove the front facia, remove the air intake, run the new pipes, and put everything back together. That is a very simplified version of what need to be done. Are you going with the procharger?
Old 11-19-2005, 02:04 AM
TJ
4th Gear Member

TheWillofDeath
Lastly GJP05 am I the only one whos going to notice that theres a trash can knocked down on your signature pic? Nice stang btw.
What trash can?

GJP your car does look good black chrome and the RL's.

Old 11-19-2005, 01:19 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ricklmesa@***.net

What is more involved in installing a supercharger? Labor wise, Im wouldn't do it myself. I know you don't just slap it in in 30 min like a CAI. My buddy says I would have to bore out the engine and do all sorts of stuff before I could run a SC. Is he right would I haft to have my motor rebuilt? Can someone with personal experience or who has looked into it them selves enlighten me. I know the SC it self is like $3000 to $5000. I just dont see the point if you haft to rebuild the engine and spend another $1200 to $2000 doing that. You mine as well just buy a bigger engine that would have the HP that the v6 with a SC would have right? Is it possible to SC with out any major rebuilds or modifications to the engine. I could deal with a bigger Throttle bodie or MAF but boring out my engine is a bit much yeah?
If you have a conserative tune, you can go with stock components. But if you are talking 300-350RWHP, you should put in a stronger rear end like a FR TLOK with Girdle, or a Detroit TruTrac. Also, just to be on the safe side, I read you should replace the pistons. I'm comming into some money and actually researching everything involved in this. I plan on giving the guys at supersixmotorsports a call, they did a lot of research on our engine and doing major power adders.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:44 PM
AmericanMuscle
1st Gear Member

I'm sure a lot of us have read the plug, uh I mean.. article on page 130something of Mustang 5.0 December issue.. An ATI kit running close to 9 PSI will pump out 320 RWHP and close to 300 torque.. that's great.. but it's also been suggested that you would need to lower the compression ratios, possibly replace the pistons, head gaskets, head studs.. basically forge the internals to safely run that kind've boost (9.. 11 with pulley swap).. I'm just waiting for more kits to become available early this year (Vortec, X-Charger, Novi).. maybe even wait for the turbo kits to become available.. even though they'll be twice as expensive and a bitch to install.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:43 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

So you if I have gears and T-lock installed on my stang I will most likly need to replace the Pistons and all that stuff?
Old 11-20-2005, 12:01 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ricklmesa@***.net

So you if I have gears and T-lock installed on my stang I will most likly need to replace the Pistons and all that stuff?
If you are running gears and a tloc you will not have to replace the pistons and other internals.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:24 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Personally people are being a little pessimistic about our 4.0L.... And I think the supersix article that a lot of folks refer to was bit on the "scare tactic" side... If you take the conservative road, checking and double checking everything as you go, and going very slowly... and most importantly not get greedy the stock 4.0L will hold up quite well... I don't know about anyone else but after reading the supersix article I got the feeling they were trying to convince me that any power adder on motor would spell disaster! Well, I've got 30 1/4 miles passes at the track... 20 of them with the 100HP shot... I've got a dozen dyno pulls.. And my pistons and head gaskets are fine... Now I realize I'm only at about 310HP to 320HP at the crank... but if you listen to some the naysayers out there, my motor should have flown apart with the first 75HP dyno pull... Now I don't plan on going much above the level I'm at now... heck my tires spin so bad right now there's no sense in adding more power! LOL! Maybe in spring I'll go to the 125HP shot... maybe... LOL

Quick Reply: Supercharger question?