Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 12:32 AM
youngmustanger
1st Gear Member

Default tuning question

Hi
I'm new to this forum. I have a 2005 red fire V6 mustang. The only upgrades that I have done to it is duel magnaflow
exhaust, and tinted windos. Ok to my question, when I got my exhaust installed a worker at the shop said that if I wanted
to install new headers, or if I wanted to install a cool air intake system I would have to dyno my car, that reguler hand held tuners
would not do the job. Is this true. Any info will be apreciated Thanks.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:52 AM
noir
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: tuning question

I think he meant tune not "dyno", and no, you only have to tune your cars with certain cold air intake systems. Headers will not require a tune, unless theres something I dont know. Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:20 AM
youngmustanger
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info, it helped alot. the exact words the guy used were "with the exhaust set up that I put on. if you want any other
perfomanc upgrades like headers, or a cool air intake you will have to dyno your car." Thats why I put dyno on the above post.

just to let you know I put true duels with an "X" pipe, two Bullet Magnaflow mufflers, and two 4" tips

Old 12-12-2005, 02:36 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

you dont really have to dyno your car, but during a tuning a dyno is very nice, so you get optimum power
Old 12-12-2005, 08:36 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

the gains wont be all that different with just a custom tune from somewehre like brenspeed (they make a custom tune for parts they sell, as long as you buy the tuner from them) vs a dyno-

however, the dyno WILL give you better results, just not that much
Old 12-12-2005, 12:44 PM
youngmustanger
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the info everyone. The guy I talked to also said that if I use a hand held tuner that it will not do the job, that after
a few thousand miles with the extra HP it would start wearing my motor down. In your opinion how well do these tuners work.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:34 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: youngmustanger

Thanks for all the info everyone. The guy I talked to also said that if I use a hand held tuner that it will not do the job, that after
a few thousand miles with the extra HP it would start wearing my motor down. In your opinion how well do these tuners work.
Thanks in advance.
If you plan to get serious on modding, you must have a tuner. I'm not sure what your friend said about wearing down your motor, a professional tune will not wear it down, wear on the motor is determined on what you do with it. I.E. if you do a lot of 1/4 mile racing with N20, then yes, it will put more wear on it, but there are precautions you can take to keep it in good condition.

A tuner is required if you go from 16 to say 18 inch wheels, cause you need to fix the tire revs. If you change out the gears, you will need it to change the gear ratio. For a CAI/Exhaust, you can get by without it, but for maximum gain it is required to change the air flow.

If you don't want to mess with the tuner go with a exhaust, and perhaps a CAI that dosent require a tune, like the AFE or K&N.

Good luck.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:02 PM
RedAlertlb
3rd Gear Member

OK, i really didnt want to make a whole new post about this so i figured i would ask her. Im ordering my x cal 2 tonight and i am just wondering when they say that you can change your partial throttle shift firmness and wot shift firmness what is this actually doing. Like would i chirp tires or something or just shift faster as if a manual. and can this damage my car
Old 12-12-2005, 09:27 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

well you could tune it to do either (i dont know why you would want to chirp your tires) but i know a lot of people change shift points to take advantage of the higher rpm's
there is actually a guy in the 05-06 4.6 section that swears he will beat any manual with his tuned auto (and i don't doubt him)

well i guess this could damage your car if you made your shift points extremely high leaving your car in really high rpm's for long periods of time
Old 12-12-2005, 09:38 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

well you could tune it to do either (i dont know why you would want to chirp your tires) but i know a lot of people change shift points to take advantage of the higher rpm's
there is actually a guy in the 05-06 4.6 section that swears he will beat any manual with his tuned auto (and i don't doubt him)

well i guess this could damage your car if you made your shift points extremely high leaving your car in really high rpm's for long periods of time
yep.. the thing to remember is the shift schedule is designed for maximum fuel economy... not performance.... this is especially true at light / medium throttle where the car is upshift happy! LOL! The stock shift schedule has you in 3rd gear by 16MPH at light throttle... I've changed my schedule to not come out of first until then... world of difference... Also, Ford likes VERY SMOOTH shifts and makes them way to soft... I picked up .25 second on my 0-60 time by getting rid of the soft, easy shifts...

Quick Reply: tuning question