Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

First Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 03:46 AM
Speedeamon15
2nd Gear Member

Default First Car

I am wondering if the 05 v6 mustang will have enough power for a first car. I am looking for somehting with some ***** i plan on doing some mods to it and it will be used on the street only. The car wont see over 110 mainly looking for good accl. Or do i need to step up to a basic GT all help will be highly aprechiated thanks
Old 01-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: First Car

I think it has MORE than enough power for a first car--especially with the addition of a tuner and some good tunes. I have 4 kids, the oldest of which is about to start driving. I got the V6 for two reasons---safety number one (it's lots of car for a 15 year old!) and insurance rates because of them driving.

I find myself hitting/exceeding the speedlimit very quickly---any more engine and I know I'd be getting in trouble, and so would they

If insurance costs are an issue and you're young---I think you'll find the V6 will be a good bit more affordable compared to the V8.

When in doubt---go test drive one! That's what I did. Of course, the V8 has "more", but the V6 had plenty for us. But realize that the best performance is yet to come, thanks to a good tune!
Old 01-08-2006, 11:08 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Speedeamon15

I am wondering if the 05 v6 mustang will have enough power for a first car. I am looking for somehting with some ***** i plan on doing some mods to it and it will be used on the street only. The car wont see over 110 mainly looking for good accl. Or do i need to step up to a basic GT all help will be highly aprechiated thanks
As a first car, the GT may kill you on insurance. In fact for me, insurance was the deciding factor for me. Even at my age, for some reason the GT was a 100 more a month. The V6 on the new stang has a lot of potential, and 210 HP is in the same ball park as the old 5.0 V8 stangs. You will be more than happy with the power, and if not getting it to good level dosent take much. Tuner, CAI, Axle back will get you to 205-208 at the rear wheels. The 210 Ford rating is at the flywheel, not the rear wheels.

And once you get hooked modding, you can be like the rest of us. LOL.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:37 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

i disagree with both of you on the power issue... i was SOMEWHAT dissapointed in the power that my 6 put out... But i must admit that it is very quick, just not off the line... and i do find myself speeeding well over (i mean WELL over) the speed limits, even doubling them. But its a hell of a lot faster than anyone elses car in my school so that makes me feel better about it. Also, i havent lost a race yet to any import (havent raced a stock one yet either...) and i beat a RAM 1500 SLT very easily (he was part of some racing group too hehe) But they are right, with a couple simple things (intake/tuner combo, gears/TLok, possibly an axle back (no one has proven it adds more than 1-2 HP) you can be runnin with the big boys.

They are however completely right concerning the issue of insurance. My insurance, with the good student discount AND the extra discount which they provide while your "learning" (haha yeah right...) to drive- is 284 a month. Luckily my parents are more concerned about me getting good grades and getting my homework done at night than working my *** off at some low rate job and making my insurance payments. (i guess you could say the same about my car payment too- although i do have to pay for most of both, and all of it in due time [i will pay them back when i get a better job, was the deal])

But i'm more than satisfied with my car- love it to death. wouldnt trade it for anything besides a replica GT... well thats not true, i'd kill for a GT [sm=badbadbad.gif]
Old 01-08-2006, 01:49 PM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

Your folks are right, if you pull your end of the deal. I bought my daughter her car, for the same reason. I didn't want her spending time working a low paying job for a car payment, that should be spent on studies. It paid off, she got five times the cost of the car in scholarships. I hope it works for you guys. Good Luck!
Old 01-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Speedeamon15
2nd Gear Member

well thanx to your all i will take your responses in consideration i live in a small town and thier really is no place to run it any way plus all the cops are bored and pull over every teenager for the smallest things
Old 01-08-2006, 02:36 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Well, the fact is that, while the 6s make close to Fox HP the old foxes made closer to 300 TQ. Takes a bit o modding to get there. =)

Really it just boils down to overall cost. My first car was a GT. This is my second car, also a GT.

Course, the new 6s are very sweet =)
Old 01-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Speedeamon15
2nd Gear Member

yea i am running on a short budget and i really love the car so if i was going to get an older body style i would get a v8 but being i am pretty short on cash i would rather buy one that cost less and have more extra money a month
Old 01-08-2006, 03:53 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

lester have you done a tune or cai ? you won't belive the dif ! totally diferant car. i also have 4 kids 3 driving age 2 of them boys. from a parent standpoint stay with the 6 i have seen a few posts already where young drivers have wraped gt's around polls. i know you guys thing that driving is no big but give your parents a break they /we don't want to visit you in the hospital or worse. you have plenty of time to get the gt enjoy life trust me its still a cool car.
just my 2 cents
Old 01-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Speedeamon15
2nd Gear Member

yea i dident buy the car yet but i am going to go with the 6 and then do the tunes right of the start eventualy do the exhust and so on

Quick Reply: First Car