Virginia Regional Chapter Chapter President: BabyGT

ADVICE NEEDED

Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
got2begucci

Default ADVICE NEEDED

To my responders.

I am most likely going to be moving to VA. Little creek area. I have been doing some reading up but it would mean more to hear what people are actually experiencing living there. I currently have a mustang and debating on making a few changes that will make it closer to stock. What is this common wealth thing? Emissions? How are the cops? Should i be worried? Are people having issues with conforming to state laws? Big picture what do i need to know? what should i know?

Also how is the car scene out that way?

Thank you for your time.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:38 AM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

The Police aren't terrible here, at least not compared to some other places I've been. They can get pretty worrisome down near the ocean front but if you're not showing off then you usually don't have to worry about them. The bicycle cops do ride up and down the emergency lanes at the strip within arm's length of the cars looking into windows as you pass and I've seen some people harrassed over window tint (among other more interesting things). Away from the ocean front they are pretty much just like anywhere else, though they hand out reckless driving tickets like candy and VA law allows them to label almost ANYTHING as reckless driving. All that said, I've been cruising around with dark windows, loud exhaust, and a lot of other mods for years and I've been pulled over but never actually ticketed for any mods.

VA requires a state inspection so everything has to be in working order, including your converters (they do a visual check), but there's no emissions sniffer testing in this area. Expect them to find something wrong pretty much every time you go. They only allow the repair places to do the inspections so it's pretty rare that they don't find something to "repair". It's like that old saying of "letting the foxes watch the hen house".

VA also requires a front license plate installed on the front bumper which might be a change for you (don't know about CA). They WILL write you a ticket for putting it on your dash because you don't want to drill holes in your bumper. There are a few different mounts available that don't require bumper drilling.

The car scene is pretty diverse. There are a ton of clubs and quite a few Mustang clubs. You can find something car show/cruise related pretty much every weekend from April to September.

PROS: Near the beach, decent women, decent nightlife, relatively low cost of living, excellent hunting and fishing.

CONS: Traffic sucks, drivers are terrible, tunnels, the roads are about as bad as I've ever seen, it gets humid as H@&! in the summer, volatile weather, and coming soon...TOLLS!!.

If you have any more questions let me know!

Last edited by jrockgts197; 03-12-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 AM
got2begucci

But if they think that something is modded or look and see that it is will they write a ticket? and if they find something that you have to repair they are not going to give you an inspection sticker until it's repaired? also how much time do you have to make the repair? tolls. i hate tolls. this state just wants to make money doesnt it lol
Old 03-12-2013, 01:22 PM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

I've never seen the Police pitch a fit about mods being illegal, except for window tint, and then you just get a "fix it ticket". The inspection stations have no authority to issue tickets or interest in calling the Police to tell on you. If they see something on your car that makes it fail inspection they just reject it, give you a rejection sticker and you have 15 days to get it fixed.

If you get rejected and choose not to let them do the repair they can only look at what was rejected when you bring it back, i.e. last year I was rejected for a tie rod end (total BS) and the guy said he could fix it for $150. I said no thanks so he put a rejected sticker on my car. I got the part from the dealership for $24 and fixed it myself. When I took the car back the next day I had already swapped my x pipe back in. He didn't fail it because they're not allowed to reinspect the entire car if you're within the 15 day window and he already passed everything but the passenger tie rod end.

The proposed tolls are new and are a result of our state government totally mis-managing our road fund and their desire to add another river crossing so they decided to turn it over to a private company. Usually what happens is all the money flowing out of Richmond for this area gets diverted back to Northern VA bit by bit for political pet projects. In the end this area, along with all others not NOVA, gets the leftovers.

Last edited by jrockgts197; 03-12-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:39 PM
got2begucci

I'm sure somewhere down the line there has to be some type of place that can hook it up on the inspection stickers you think? If you know somebody.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:04 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

The only reason you will fail inspection here in va is if its something safety related, like bad brakes or really worn out steering linkage or no seatbelt, headlights, ect, I daily drove a 1986 Mazda rx7 for around 7 years that was slammed to the ground had no cats, no interior, the **** modded out of the engine, blacked out everything but the headlights and never once failed an inspection. And the only ticket I ever got was no front license plate and an expired registration. And I got those at a sobriety check. Never actually got pulled. Cops are pretty chill about modded cars in va. There is no reason really to try to find a shady mechanic to slip past inspection with.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:52 PM
ZWilliams

never had a prob with cops even at the oceanfront they will talk to you and messaround with you but there looking for underage drinking and drugs. and as for the no cats thats hit or miss hole in the wall shops will hook you up with the stickers. but over all i like it. fun place always stuff going on!
Old 05-09-2013, 03:09 PM
UsmcMustang
1st Gear Member

well i lived in a bunch of different states including cali ( i was in san diego ) the cops over here are better at enforicing speed limits , so watch your speed , get to know your area and you know where you can speed and where not to do it , im in northern va so fairfax county police is swarming everywhere . I only met a few rude police officers , if you treat them with respect they should do the same towards you

When i lived in ca i thought va drivers were good till i moved back , omg if i had mounted a mini gun on my hood i would be out of ammo after driving 10 mins , be careful since alot of people drive and text or are talking on the phones , it is legal to do so here unlike cali
Old 05-09-2013, 08:46 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Actually no it is not legal.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:14 PM
UsmcMustang
1st Gear Member

oh really , holy hell i see sooo many people driving and talking on the phone , i dont do it because im used to it and i hate talking on the phone as it is , but hell now i got a reason to honk and rev my engine when they are on the phone :P

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ADVICE NEEDED