Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Tire size help please/ staggered setup help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:06 PM
green2000gt
2nd Gear Member

Default Tire size help please/ staggered setup help

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Mustang-W...-p5939494.html

I want to get these wheels for my 2000 GT cause I love the staggered look but I am no sure what tire offset to get. I know tons of people run 315's in the rear but I am not sure if they will fit without rubbing, I have a flowmaster catback and my 245's already looks close. My mustang is my every day driver so I am not sure if 315's would be practical for an every day driver. I al am worried about not being able to rotate so I have been thinking about going with these, with 17x9's in the front and back is there anyway I could get the staggered look? If I got the 17x9's then I can alway go back to having the same tire size.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Mustang-W...-p6668288.html
Old 09-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Those sizes will be just fine on your ride and don't see an issue with exhaust. May have a touch of rubbing, but I wouldn't think so. See the rear wheels are much wider than your current, but the wheels additional width will be moved outward, so clearance will be about the same. To confirm, remove your rear wheel and measure the back-space and see what you have. The size on your link was +27mm and is about 6.8" back-space and just fine for your year. You will likely need to remove the quad-shock (maybe just get away with rotating 180*) for clearance, but not an issue.

I recommend a 265/40/17" up front (max is 275) and 305/315/35/17" out back. As for rotation, I don't bother with it myself. I have run staggered for years and get pretty even wear anyway so not concerned.

Jazzer
Old 09-15-2009, 07:54 PM
green2000gt
2nd Gear Member

Jazzer, is a staggered setup practical for an everyday driver? does a staggered drive good on windy roads? what brand would you recommend? I am on a budget. what size would you recommend if I wen with the 17x9's on the front and rear? here are some pictures of my car, do you think it will look good with those wheels and a staggered setup?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Staggered is just fine for a DD, but will get a bit of tramlining going wide up front. This is where the tires tend to follow the ruts in the road a bit, but you will get used to it. Running wider up front and rear is a benifit to the twisty as you can run a softer set of tires and improve your contact patch on the surface of the road.

Head up to the Choosing a new tire thread (sticky in this section) and can see the fundamental differences between tires. You can use the Tire Rack Decision Guide and will help you narrow down some good tires for your driving needs as well as your budget.

To answer your final question.... ALL cars look good with a staggered set-up, except 4x4's , so get that thing lowered already

Jazzer
Old 09-17-2009, 06:50 PM
green2000gt
2nd Gear Member

I have just a few more questions jazzer. I have heard that running a stggered setup causes bad understeer is this true? and would the 265's up front rub like 275's do? and this is the last question, it I went with 17x9's all around with 265's all around would that be a good setup?
Old 09-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You will create some additional understeer running a staggered set-up, but worth it IMO. You can run a heavier rear sway bar to overcome it or some heavier springs if you like. The Mustang is somewhat prone to understeer anyway and will just pick up a bit more of it. It is an ABSOLUTE IMPOSSIBILITY for me to pitch my rear-end out, unless I hit a bump (running PHB & TA out back). Understeer is always prefferable to oversteer anyway.

The 265's will afford you a bit more clearance, but will possibly still rub a bit. If you would like to keep your options open to rotation of tires and avoid the additional understeer, go 9"s all around and will be good

Jazzer
Old 09-17-2009, 10:38 PM
green2000gt
2nd Gear Member

Ok this is the last question I swear. if I went with these wheels and put 275's on the rear what size should I get for the front to get the staggered look? that way I would have the same size wheel all around so I could always have the option to got to having the same size tire all around. The reason I am leaning towards all 17x9's is I only have 5 options for 315's and I am on a budget and I dont want to go with the cheapest 315's and have a crappy tire. Thank you so much for all your help jazzer you are full of so much knowledge I cannot halp but keep asking questions.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Mustang-W...-p6668288.html
Old 09-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You will get a "somewhat" staggered look running differing widths, but not as much. I think by the time you make it really look staggered, you will be back to understeer/oversteer type issues, but for a whole new reason. You can go real narrow up front and widen rear with say a 245/275, but will just stiffen up the front response while making the rear comparably looser due to sidewall stiffness. Wouldn't be a big difference, but wouldn't be able to rotate in such a case anyway. Sure, you can replace the tires one day so you can rotate, but believe you will be unhappy with results because you want a staggered look.

Understeer is not going to be an issue unless you are going WAY too fast for situation. As I said before, I would rather plow the front end than spin the back around in such a case.... at least a vast majority of the time.

I say SAVE untill you can afford what you really want in tires/wheels, so you don't have the woulda/shoulda/coulda thing goin' on! I look at such things in the following way... Say I needed $450 for a set of tires that would work, but not what I want. Let's say the tires/wheels I want are $650.

$850
-$650
$200

So.... for $200 you can get what you REALLY want. Save the extra $$$ and... Don't worry, be happy

Jazzer
Old 09-18-2009, 04:48 PM
CruizinConcepts
Former Sponsor

Jazzer is right. You can put up to a 275/40/17 in the front and 315/35/17 will work great in the rear. If you have any questions or need pricing just PM me.

http://cruizinconceptswholesale.com/...ies.asp?cat=16
http://cruizinconcepts.com/mustang_wheels_and_rims.asp
Old 09-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

315's...

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 09-18-2009 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire size help please/ staggered setup help