Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

What size rims and tires for 2012 GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Corepuncher
1st Gear Member

Default What size rims and tires for 2012 GT

Hi all. I've been doing extensive research trying to figure out what wheels and tires to get. It can be daunting (especially to a noob like myself).

First, I'm leaning towards staggering. Bottom line here to me is that I'll have to replace half the tires twice as often.

Now, wheel size. I've ruled out 20" because of weight and ride issues.

So, now 18 or 19. I'm thinking maybe 18" since tires appear cheaper...and should be less weight as well. My only concern is whether the car will look too "jacked up" and I will then need to lower it? What are your impressions on how 18" wheels look on a GT?

So...assuming I do 18", was thinking 245 or 255 on fronts, and 275 on backs. First question...is 255 too wide for front (steering, etc), or just right? A 245 would be less rubber weight. Second, if I did NOT stagger...what size all around...245 or 255?

At the very beginning I was looking at 20" lexanis but I found out they weight a whopping 36 pounds each just for the rims...ouch! So I'm also looking for nice rims...I like machined + black look. Thanks for the advice. Now, on to exhaust, suspension and body kits!
Old 05-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Corepuncher
1st Gear Member

Also, I was trying to figure out tire brand. Looking at NT555, the stock PZero Nero, and Continental Extreme Contact (all season kind). Anyone had any experience comparing these three? They are all high performance, I think it might come down to treadwear and looks. Thanks. Leaning towards the Continentals...but that word keep making think of "Buick" which does not correspond to high performance lol! Whats the vote, NT555's or Extreme contacts DWS? I live in Oklahoma, can have several days of sleet/snow/ice each winter...but it doesn't usually stick around too long.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

First off, welcome to MF's

Second, tires... regardless of what diameter wheel, should be chosen by the needs of the driver and decided by the budget. We will get back to this, but should be your #1 priority for whatever size wheel you get. I would agree that an 18" tire is gonna be less than a 19" one, nearly 100% of the time, as well as better availability and selection. You will also have a bit more options in profile height, which is the biggest factor in ride quality between same make/model of tire.

I run an 18" wheel, but have less fender room than you. That means, depending on your appearance desire, you may/may not want a higher profile tire to "close the gap" around the tire. You may prefer to lower it and would be my recommendation to address this space if you would like less of it.

I don't agree that you will need to replace tires more/less often with staggered. Lots of variables here and not that much difference in wear. That is, unless you like to burn the tires or drift your ride The width of tire will depend on the width of the wheel, so would ask what size you would plan to run. Generally, a set of 9"s and 10"s is the most common and will have no fitment issues, provided the off-sets are designed for your car.

I will get back to your post tomorrow, so a bit of food for thought and let me know what you think soo far.

Jazzer
Old 05-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Corepuncher
1st Gear Member

Thanks Jazzer.

I was thinking 8.5 or 9.0 in the front, 10" wide rims in back. Was leaning towards 245 or 255 front/275 back. 285's seems too expensive overall. I'm almost thinking 245 on 8.5" rims for front...would that be A) lighter and B) Steer easier? Or are there other handling considerations?

I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to the suspension kits, the customs place I went to quoted me 300 for a kit and 195 install...but then I read this blog and it's turning me off, namely because it seems like it's a slippery slope of new upgrades I would need:

http://blog.americanmuscle.com/what-...er-my-mustang/

I do not even know what parts come in the kit. The blog says I would need new shocks, struts, after market camber plates, etc etc. Geesh.

Basically, my plan is to buy a 2012 GT Premium, with basic 18" stock wheels. Kona blue. Then put on new rims/tires once I get it. Already set on air intake/tuner/exhaust kit.

But then it's body options...at first I wanted to get GT body kit with all the spoilers and scoops...but I want the billet grille and they don't show it. Plus, I like the look of the Saleen S281 grille/back better...so I'm leaning towards that, BUT...that is very expensive...1600 for kit, another 1500 for paint/fitment, and if I want the Powerflow hood, another 1300! Holy smokes! 4500 bucks for that kit basically installed/painted. Or, I could pay 1500 for stock body parts, but I do not think it looks nearly as cool.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Installing new shocks/struts is a good idea when lowering your car, for the reasons mentioned in the article you linked above.

Generally speaking, yes... a narrow tire will turn easier on a wider wheel. Now, there is a limited amount of options, obviously, but a 245 is a fine fit for an 8.5" wheel. A wider tire/wheel combo does a couple things that I think you have may have figured out. The first is a bit more difficult to steer, due to increased amount of contact patch on the road surface (will vary with different tire makes/models). The second is an issue called tramlining. I have this issue VERY bad, but have gone to the far extreme of suspension mods, as well as tire/wheel combo, to have it soo bad. It is completely manageable, but on certain roads, can look a bit "tipsy" when behind the wheel

As for CC plates, this is not "necessary" for going 1"~1.5" drop on an SN95 and probably for your S197, but I am not as familiar with your suspension. They are beneficial and especially when running a wider tire than OEM, but believe an 8.5" wheel is standard on your car... not positive. Either way, your car will be fine without them, but will certainly be able to get OEM specs on alignment. I am not sure you cannot anyway, but I KNOW you will with CC plates. Some research would be a good idea to confirm either way.

OK... back to my earlier question, as to what tire is good for you. If you get ANY snow/ice, you are just not going to be able to run a high-performance Summer tire. If you are getting new wheels, what are the chances you can afford a set of A/S tires for your OEM wheels and Summer performance tires on your NEW wheels?

Jazzer
Old 05-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Corepuncher
1st Gear Member

I see what you are saying, I could have a set of A/S tires on stock wheels, and just put high performance/ Summer wheels on the new ones. I'm really thinking I will sell my stock wheels/tires to help offset some of these costs. In that case, I think my choice is Continental Extreme contact DWS or Pirelli Pzero Nero.

Just looked up weights and prices. For Continental, the 245's weight 24lb while 255's weigh 28lbs. The 245's are 0.36" shorter than 255's. So lower center of gravity AND lighter...seems like a win win to me! The 275's are exact same height and 26lbs.

Now comparing that same size with Pzero neros...the 245's are 27 lb and 275's are 30 lbs...so +3 lbs and +4 lbs respectively. Only bad thing about Continentals...they are more expensive that Pirellis...but, you apparently get a better tire. About 100 bucks more for the set of 4 tires.

Leaning Extreme Contacts DWS with 245's in front, 275's in back....8.5" and 10" rims.

Now...I just need to figure out what rims I want lol. BTW, what "bolt pattern" do I need to look for? Is it the 5 X 114.3 ?
Old 05-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Corepuncher
1st Gear Member

I keep coming back to these..they look very sleek...and also inexpensive (not sure if that's good or bad!):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18X9-...item35ab4b9bb8

I'm not sure they have them in anything other than 9" though...need 10" for backs.

Thinking Kona blue mustang, blue/ black or blue/grey theme. Any wheel suggestions appreciated! Not wanting solid chrome...but black, machined, or some combination would be what I'm looking for.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Yes.... 5x114.3 or 5x114 or 5.4.5" = all the same

You still haven't answered my first question in regards to the tire that suits your needs. I know you would rather sell the OEM ones and put money toward replacements, but ask you to make SURE this works for the rest of the year.

You want to lighter tires/wheels, but exactly why? Not to be a smart-****, or anything, but you will NEVER notice that extra weight driving around town. If you were to really push your car hard on an open track or something, you "might" after you were VERY familiar with the cars limits (probably still not), but cannot push your car hard in any way via A/S tires, so I want to make sure you are thinking this though completely. If this is strictly a mild DD, you can pretty much put any tire suited for Winter months and be just fine all year round

Jazzer
Old 05-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Corepuncher
1st Gear Member

This is a daily driving car mainly...but want to have fun once in a while.

I was just saying them being lighter is a nice byproduct, it's not the driving influence of what ones I get. Just a "tie breaker" when it comes to the continentals or pirellis.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK.. that is fine

I am not an A/S tire guy, so cannot be of any real help in this area. I know that the PZero Nero tires pretty much such for Summer performance, so maybe that'll help a little. Nothing wrong with saving weight, so I would agree that lighter has some benefits, so if you like two and one is lighter.....

FWIW... I don't see you getting much money for OEM "take-offs" from your ride, as the market is flooded with them. I recommend you do some research and see if you can get anything substantial that will validate you putting that money toward new tires/wheels. If they are not worth much, I would ask you again to consider using them for Winter. A narrower tire is better for snow, as you no doubt already know, and don't have to worry about salt/snow beating up your NEW wheels.

On the other hand, if your NEW wheels end up being 9" all around, you can very likely use your existing tires on them and just sell (or keep) the original wheels.

Jazzer

Quick Reply: What size rims and tires for 2012 GT