Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

New Wheel/Tires for my Ride, I am guess I am just old school

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 08:12 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

Default New Wheel/Tires for my Ride, I am guess I am just old school

Let me start by saying I am not a track person, or a person that races, I dont go super fast. I bought a GT because I do love having the get up and go and the sound of a V8, with that being said I did not feel the need to get bigger tires or the best out there etc...

So now that you know that about me after about 3 or 4 years of not having a mustang I just recently picked up a used 2011 Convertible GT in black, seems to be my thing as my last was a 2008 Convertible GT in black. Anyway it came with the stock 18 inch wide spoke painted aluminum wheels, if you ask me they look like a satin silver to me. The car has 50K miles on it but looks like the tires were recently replaced as they look new. same kind of tires that originally came with the car.

Now one of the previous owners painted these rims an Alloy color, they look great however the paint is pealing in spots, looks like from what I can see he did not scuff them before painting or put a clear coat over them or maybe he just used some cover up type of coating.

So I have been tossing in my head about what to do, First option was to remove the paint and live with the silver look. I also was thinking of having them repainted that same color but done professionally.

My next option was someone was selling on ebay a set of the 2015 18 inch Magnetic painted machined aluminum wheels/tires take off for $799 and they are brand new, only problem is I would have to change out the TPMS's as I guess they are different in 2015.

Now my problem is I was not really thrilled with any of these options, out of the three I liked the 2015 take off's the best, but I really did not want to drop $799 plus the cost of TPMS's and install price of the TPMS's. So this is where I am old school, I love the look of polished aluminum rims, on my 2008 I had the American Muscle Deep Dish 18x9's and loved that look, but once again I was not willing to pay that much for new wheel/tires.

Alright time to finish this up, I am searching Ebay the other day and I find an auction from this company in PA that puts tires on cars and takes pictures of them and then sells them, and wouldn't you know they had a set of AM's 18X8 with the Sumutto tires on them, bid was at $440ish with a BIN of $900. I decided to bid and lucky for me I won them for $566 shipped.

I will have to buy TPMS's for them but I found a pair of new take offs for $66 so that is not bad. Anyway these will not be installed till the weather gets warmer (spring) so here are the pictures from the Ebay auction and a picture of the wheels I currently have on it.

Current Wheels, sorry picture not great so hard to see the peeling paint.
Name:  IMG_3380_zpsm6pygvj6.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  265.1 KB

Here is the set I won.
Name:  s-l1600_zpsdxi5iq8y.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  133.2 KB

Here is a slide show for the rest of the album

http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/To...20Mustang%20GT
Old 01-15-2016, 07:29 AM
GT Billy

Very Nice !
Old 01-15-2016, 07:49 AM
GTOGreg

Nice, I just put a set of American Muscle 18x9 Bullitt rims with NITO tires on my black '06, and I agree, the 18x9 rims do look great! They put the outer edge of the tires right at the edge of the wheel well. They fill the wheel well better than the stock rims and tires did.