Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Tire considerations: Size, Michelin PS4S vs. Nitto T555 G2

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 11:11 PM
P7M8

Default Tire considerations: Size, Michelin PS4S vs. Nitto T555 G2

Getting new shoes for my 2011 Shelby. I have the SVT package. Stock tires are Goodyear F1 Supercar G:2 in 265/40/19 and 285/35/20. Although they only have 4500 miles on them they're the original tires not to mention they like to let go occasionally when I get on it. Picked up the car in October with 2200 on the clock. I live in southeastern Louisiana. So it gets wet and we get the occasional below 40* a few times a year. I've driven them carefully in sub 45* temps without major issue. Just don't get on it in those temps. The new Michelin PS4S seems to be the $#!+ and I'm heavily leaning towards those. But I've read some have gone with the Nitto T555 G2 and are very happy. Are the Michelin PS4S worth the additional cost?

Also, is there any performance benefit to other sizes on the stock wheels? Just want to make sure I consider everything before dropping ~$1300 in new tires.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:48 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

P7M8, Here we go again. Both tires are great but depending on application.
For road course racing, I would go with the P7M8. For drag racing I would go with tht Nitto NT555. On my 67 foxbody with a 331 stroker it is shooed with NITTO NT555. Great traction but scary in wet and cold conditions. My everyday car, 2014 GT, uses Nitto NT05 at the drag strip. I also use Mickey Thompson SS
on the back of my 2014 Mustang GT, but that is another story. Now, for my 2014 GT on the street, I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and I love them. You mentioned "wet driving" in which case I favor the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. To answer your question,I would choose the Michelin PS4S over the other tires you "mentioned". But, I strongly suggest you research the Michelin Pilot Super Sport before spending your hard earned money.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:24 PM
P7M8

Originally Posted by Buck Sergeant
P7M8, Here we go again. Both tires are great but depending on application.
For road course racing, I would go with the P7M8. For drag racing I would go with tht Nitto NT555. On my 67 foxbody with a 331 stroker it is shooed with NITTO NT555. Great traction but scary in wet and cold conditions. My everyday car, 2014 GT, uses Nitto NT05 at the drag strip. I also use Mickey Thompson SS
on the back of my 2014 Mustang GT, but that is another story. Now, for my 2014 GT on the street, I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and I love them. You mentioned "wet driving" in which case I favor the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. To answer your question,I would choose the Michelin PS4S over the other tires you "mentioned". But, I strongly suggest you research the Michelin Pilot Super Sport before spending your hard earned money.

Thanks Buck Sergeant. Trying to get a variety of opinions on different boards but it appears the same people are in the different tire forums. I don't race. It's a daily driver. I have a small window time wise to take care of this. Sorry if I seem a little impatient. Just seeking info from those with knowledge so I can get this taken care of.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:10 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

P7M8, Glad you are thinking things out. Here is something to add to the confusion. I'm getting great feedback on the BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2A/S tire for your rears. They are 285/35-ZR20 with a tread width of 10.1". At $170.00 this is a good deal for a performance "all weather" tire. If cost isn't to much of a issue, I would still stay with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I would suggest these tires be mounted on a 10" rim. I'm not sure what your SHELBY's rear rim size is.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:15 PM
Steel68

Hey what's up, I'm a new Mustang owner, I was gonna start a thread to ask people what they think of the Nitto NT555 G2 tires but this thread pretty much covers it.
I'm leaning toward the Nittos, but the tires you mentioned, Buck Sergeant, are also good, I had them on my list as a possibility. They are all season tires, but they sound like they are also pretty good summer tires.

My thing is that I'll only have the car out from like May-Oct. So a good Summer tire is what I am leaning toward. It will never see snow, ice, etc but it might see occasional heavy Summer rains.
My main concern is how the G2's are on wet roads.
But even though it will only be a street car (no tracks or racing), I hate the idea of buying tires that I have to replace by the time they get to about 15k. A good all season tire would last longer.
So I was wanting to know what other Mustang owners think.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:52 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Steel68, From your information, I would still suggest the NITTO NT555G2. I have used the NITTO 555 on my 67 foxbody with a 331 stroker for a full year, street and track, with great success. During the summer months they are flawless, but in water and cold weather, it is a crapshoot. The NITTO 555 G2 gets a excellent rating in every condition EXCEPT in winter performance. For all around driving, under the "conditions" you have outlined, I would suggest the NITTO 555 G2.
On my 2014 GT I am using the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. This is a fantastic tire both street and strip. It's guaranteed for 30,000 miles, but my driving habits reduce that warranty number. The down side is their price. Hope I helped.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:14 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by P7M8
I live in southeastern Louisiana. So it gets wet and we get the occasional below 40* a few times a year. I've driven them carefully in sub 45* temps without major issue. Just don't get on it in those temps. The new Michelin PS4S seems to be the $#!+ and I'm heavily leaning towards those. But I've read some have gone with the Nitto T555 G2 and are very happy. Are the Michelin PS4S worth the additional cost?.
I'd go with either the Michelin PS4S or the older (but still excellent) PSS.

I have no PS4S experience, but a good bit of personal experience with the PSS. I've found that the PSS will tolerate temperatures well below 40° F without placing unreasonable demands on the driver (I've actually run a few HPDE sessions on MPSS tires at temperatures in the high 30's). It's also a "go-to" tire for wet weather driving. On the street, you won't be driving anywhere near this hard in this much rain, but it's nice to know that your tires would be up to the task. There's a little camera shake toward the end, indicating speeds in excess of 110 mph.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-16-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:33 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Norm, I am in total agreement. If that is you on the video, I like the way you negotiate the track.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:28 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

That is me.

My biggest regret for that particular video is that I didn't have any datalogging capability at the time other than quick glances at an A-pillar digital speedometer/coolant temperature display.

Norm
Old 01-16-2018, 05:30 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

You might want to consider the Nitto Invo also. I have them and they grip great when warm and do really good in the rain. Just like any summer tire, you want to take it easy when the temps drop.

Quick Reply: Tire considerations: Size, Michelin PS4S vs. Nitto T555 G2