Ford Mustang V6 and Mustang GT 2005-2014: How to Make Your Mustang Look Meaner
Keep reading to learn about some modifications you can do on your Ford Mustang GT.
This article applies to the Ford Mustang V6 and Mustang GT (2005-2014).
The 2005 to 2014 Ford Mustang is a pretty mean looking "pony" car. However, you can make it look even meaner using a few handy tips and tricks. This guide will run the gamut when it comes to describing what those tips and tricks are, but only the best of the best! First, we'll start with the easier modifications, which you can do on your own, before unveiling our top picks for the more pricey modifications that are sure to get you noticed.
- Vinyl stripes
- Front grille
- Wheel spinners
- Fog lights
Step 1 – Add side or hood vinyl stripes
One of the most popular ways to make your Mustang meaner is by adding vinyl self-adhesive stripes to the roof, rear deck, and/or front hood. Bumper-to-bumper applications are also available; however, these typically require about three hours of work versus the one hour of work time associated with a rear deck installation, for example.
- Vinyl self-adhesive stripes are less expensive than painted on stripes, which can run you significantly more money and will require longer time to cure.
- Do-it-yourself (DIY) cut-to-fit kits are available online as well as through auto parts stores.
- High quality vinyl stripes could last you up to six years.
- Choose from a variety of colors and textures.
- For a truly aggressive look, we recommend going with a metallic color; however, keep in mind metallic colors have the shortest lifespan.
- Black and white vinyl stripes last the longest of all colors on the market.
Step 2 – Add an aggressive front grille
This is a relative easy modification to make. You're looking at an installation time of around fifteen minutes, and few alterations are needed to the tabs as well as clips.
- For the most aggressive look possible, we recommend going with an 8-inch black or chrome front grille; however, additional options are also available.
- It's also recommended that you compliment the look of your new front grille by installing a pair of smoked headlight covers, which are available for approximately $50 in a set of two online.
- For an even more powerful look, install a chin spoiler for around $200+.
Step 3 – Mount wheel spinners to your car
This is one of the more pricey ways to make your Mustang appear more aggressive on the road.
- Expect to spend at least $500 on this modification, especially if you want a set of high-quality spinners.
- Complete the look with a set of 17 or 18-inch super sports tires, which should allow for sufficient clearance while driving.
- You could go with wider tires in the rear if you prefer.
Step 4 – Change out the fog lights
For aggressive GT styling, swap out your original equipment manufacturer (OEM) fog lights with a set of more aggressive yellow or blue fog lights.
- Check state laws before installing colored fog lights; exterior lighting must be in compliance with the law to avoid ticketing.
- Installation is easy; simply remove your stock fog light assembly and replace it with a newer, more aggressive fog light assembly; you could also simply switch from halogen to high definition LED bulbs.
- Keep your new fog lights clean using a fog light cleaner or restorer.