Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Two Tone Look?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Windveil is a bitch to match. PPG had like 12 variations for this color when I had my bumper cover done last year. The Saleen covers make for a nice subtle accent. The SHR's in black are more a matter of personal taste I think. Personally I don't like too much accent pieces. Since you have no side stripes but do have the the black filler cover in black its close call.
I like the way a typical retro style spoiler looks done in a flat or matted black, not so much in gloss finish. the larger wing could be too much. We need a washable paint that could be used for experimenting, I guess that's called photoshop:-) Here's what I have done.

Beautiful car man.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:14 AM
CSCar23
1st Gear Member

i think the SHR looks better ,nice car.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:11 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sdonaghey
I came across some picture of a guy that did a two tone SHR louver. His painter first painted the louver all flat black, and then he painted the exterior parts the same as the body color. The only downside this guys states, is that there is no clear louver sections anymore, as they have all been painted over. I guess it would be the same as a window louver cover.

I think it would be cool looking, as you would get that two-tome look, but yet the louver would flow with the body color.
That guy should have put some painter's tape or something to cover the clear parts before painting.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:03 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

so, you said you had a seal failure from bad prep, how so? A couple tips.

Don't drive the car for 2 days after you put them in, you need to give the seal time to cure without the pressure that goes on them while you drive.

Make sure its warm enough when you put them in again.

Use a newer tube of a high quality sealant.(they have dates on them for a reason, in older tubes, the sealant gets harder and less malleable. Harder to work with and doesn't seat as well.)

Really surprised to hear about the mismatch in paint. SHR is usually very good about that, did you order straight from them?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 PM
sdonaghey
2nd Gear Member

It failed because I misread the instructions and didn't put the adhesion promoter on the louver. I put in on the car only. The sealant and adhesion promoter were purchased from silverHorse and were not even close to the expiry date. The car also sat for alomost a week with the windows down. One little misread and that was it.

They were ordered through CJ Pony parts, but were painted by SHR. I should of had the car in the sunlight with the louvers to verify the paint match, but didn't do that. They looked good in the garage and in certain lights, but not 100% matching. I don't blame SHR at all, as I know Windveil Blue is very hard to match and there are many different shades. I just had a new rear bumper painted recently and my paint shop guy spent quite awhile walking around the car with his paint samples to find the shade that would work, and the paint match was dead on.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:10 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Honestly, looking at the picture with the SHR louvers, 95% of people will never notice the mismatch in color. It is still very close...
Old 09-14-2010, 06:20 AM
sdonaghey
2nd Gear Member

I know, I know. Maybe I am just too picky. I told the wife about the difference in colour and she just looked at me and said it looks fine to her.

I am keeping this car for a long time (wife says I will be buried in it!), so I just want to make it look as close to perfect as possible. It's those pesky little things that really bother you and will always nag you, so I like to take care of it right away.

Last edited by sdonaghey; 09-15-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:40 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Unless you have a black car, your factory bumpers have to be off...
Matching is almost impossible when mixing metal and plastic part.
Go to a dealer lot and you'll even see it on an unsold car, lol.
Also the heat index upon exposition to the sun will differ, so is your match...

The only color that gave me fit for match was Tungstene Gray.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:40 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Unless you have a black car

I would recommed leaving the Roush spoiler as is and leaving the Saleen louvers black.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:51 PM
sdonaghey
2nd Gear Member

I just wanted to tell everyone of a great way to try out flat black. PlastiDip. It is a removable rubbery paint that is easy to apply on your car. I have used it on my MRT rear louvers and I am gong to try it out on the SHR side window louvers and even the SHR aluminum gas cap. It goes on easy andif you do not like it you just peel it off.

I also found a great site for this product. http://www.dipyourcar.com/ . The guy that runs this site Fonzie is a plastidip fanatic. He has great prices on the different colors and some great youtube videos on how to say paint your wheels and do striping!!

After I get the Foose Stallion/CDC hood installed this season and painted Windveil blue I am thinking of accenting the center hump with black plastidip, instead of doing some vinyl job.

Quick Reply: Two Tone Look?