Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Two Tone Look?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:17 AM
sdonaghey
2nd Gear Member

Default Two Tone Look?

I have been changing thngs on the car this year and going for a two tone look with Windveil Blue and Black. This year I put in SHR side flush mount louvers. The paint match on them was not good and by the time I figured it (after installing them), I could no longer return them, so I am stuck with them now. In osme light they seem okay, but I do notice the difference. I purchased a set of Saleen flush window replacement covers and now I am thinking of painting them either a flat black or semi-gloss black and use them instead of the SHR louvers. I removed the SHR louvers yesterday, as I had a seal fialure on them, as they were not prepped properly, so this gave me a chance to play with the look.

Here are a couple pictures of the different looks. Which would be better? Should I maybe get the SHR louvers repainted? If so, how difficult would that be, seeing that they were clear coated and it would be very hard to sand the clear down in certain places on the inside of the louver.

I am even entertaining the idea of sapping out the Roush spoiler with a pre-painted flat black version I found for sale. It was supposedly from the 2007 Roush Outlaw edition and is a surplus item. I think it would look good, but what would you think?

SHR Louvers

Saleen Covers

Here is a better picture of the car to see what it looks like now.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:33 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Man, that's a tuff call. I can see what u mean with the paint match, it is a little off. Both look good, but I would go with the saleen in black. Looks more unique like that, but I wouldn't go with black on the spoiler. I think it would be too much, but a blackout panel on your trunk would look sweet.
Love those wheels bro! What's your setup?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:49 AM
sdonaghey
2nd Gear Member

I have the Saleen panel on the rear:

Wheels are Steeda Spyders staggered 20x9.5 in the front wrapped in NITTO Invo 275/35 and rears are 20x10 wrapped in 315/35

Suspension is Roush springs front and rear, Tokico D-Spec's front and rear, and BMR front sway, rear sway, Panhard bar, and J&M LCA's.

I hear what you are saying about the spoiler. The price though is so good for the Roush flat black spoiler that I might try it out and see. It is only $250 shipped. I could always resell it if I don't like it. The Windveil paint on the spoiler is the best right now, so this is giving me an excuse to try something else out.

Sean
Old 09-12-2010, 09:02 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Hell yea, that's what im talking about. Looks good in the rear man...i would put the $250 in the exhaust and gets some polished mufflers or tips. She could stand an upgrade, still think the spoiler is tight the way it is.

I don't see many 20" wheels I like, but those are hot!

Last edited by mayo; 09-12-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:03 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

I think the Saleen covers look pretty good actually. I would NOT go with a black spoiler though, I think that would be too much black. Windveil blue is a nice clean color, don't spoil it with too much harsh black. I do like the rear blackout and the gas cap, but I would be very cautious with going further than that.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:34 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

what exactly is that rear bumper/fascia.....looks broken or missing pieces
Old 09-12-2010, 11:07 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Hmm, they both look good but I'd say stick with the SHR if the paint isn't too bad. The blind spots would be ridiculous with the deletes. Props on the unique rear end though! See if you can come up with the Parnelli Jones tips and weld those suckers on. I would leave the painted spoiler alone too... it looks good.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Retro06MustangGT500
2nd Gear Member

i like the rear bumber nice choice, and the 315s look goos with the roush spoiler
Old 09-12-2010, 11:43 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Windveil is a bitch to match. PPG had like 12 variations for this color when I had my bumper cover done last year. The Saleen covers make for a nice subtle accent. The SHR's in black are more a matter of personal taste I think. Personally I don't like too much accent pieces. Since you have no side stripes but do have the the black filler cover in black its close call.
I like the way a typical retro style spoiler looks done in a flat or matted black, not so much in gloss finish. the larger wing could be too much. We need a washable paint that could be used for experimenting, I guess that's called photoshop:-)
Here's what I have done.

color correction done badly but hopefully you can see the blacked out lip ok.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

please don't paint that spoiler black, it'll look beaner, like you bought a used pre-painted one, but were too cheap or too lazy to have it paint, so you just threw it on there

Quick Reply: Two Tone Look?