Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Meguiar's White Wax.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Default Meguiar's White Wax.

When I saw that Meguiar's had introduced a new wax specifically designed for white and light colored cars, I just had to try it. It's a paste wax that is packaged in a tube, and has some cleaning agents in it. So you can't layer it.

I was not impressed. It didn't seem to add any brilliance to what was already on the car, and didn't feel very slippery when I ran the pad of my finger over the surface. I wound up putting a layer of Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax over it.

If you want a cleaner/wax combination, I guess it's okay.

Unless I want to use a cleaner, I'll stick with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant followed by a layer of Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax.

Anybody else here try it? If so, what are your thoughts?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

I tried it on my recently bought white Crown Victoria. Me and my buddies noticed an improvement on the color, but it was probably because the car came with a hackjob repaint done to it, with almost no clearcoat.

I suppose in your immaculately taken care of white Mustang, it wasn't going to make a difference. But it did make a difference on my neglected Vic.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
When I saw that Meguiar's had introduced a new wax specifically designed for white and light colored cars, I just had to try it. It's a paste wax that is packaged in a tube, and has some cleaning agents in it. So you can't layer it.

I was not impressed. It didn't seem to add any brilliance to what was already on the car, and didn't feel very slippery when I ran the pad of my finger over the surface. I wound up putting a layer of Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax over it.

If you want a cleaner/wax combination, I guess it's okay.

Unless I want to use a cleaner, I'll stick with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant followed by a layer of Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax.

Anybody else here try it? If so, what are your thoughts?
My Perf. White is due for a Spring time wax, anything you'd recommend? I'm looking to bring more of the brilliance/brightness from my cars color.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

Zaino. Check out their website.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:17 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

I get that nice smooth feeling from Mother's Synthetic wax.

Easy, and after a few layers it really shines and feels great.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:43 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

A big part of obtaining a good result, no matter what products you use, is in what you do before applying the final layer.

I would start by washing the car (doh). Then use a paint clay bar to lift surface contaminants off the finish. I prefer the paint clay bar from Griot's Garage to the Meguiar's clay bar I tried some time back. If you buy the Griot's bar, make sure you are getting the one for paint. They also sell a bar for windows and a bar for wheels. Also, Meguiar's sells several different clay bars; I don't remember which one I used. The problem I had is that it tended to stick to the surface.

You need a spray detailer to go with the clay bar. Probably most are okay to use EXCEPT Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 135; Meguiar's says that particular product has too much lubricity to be used with clay.

After doing the above, evaluate the surface. If it is smooth and doesn't show signs of oxidation, you can seal it, wax it, whatever. As I said, I like Wolfgang sealant followed by Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. If you want to add another step, you can apply a paint prep before applying the sealant. This is to remove residual wax and polish and thus provide a better surface for the sealant.

If the surface is not smooth, it is probably oxidized. You need a fine polish or a combination cleaner/wax. For a white car, the Meguiar's White Wax would probably be a good choice if you go the cleaner/wax route. If you go the fine polish route, then refer to the previous paragraph as to what to do next.

Of course there is the endless debate over whether to use carnauba wax or a synthetic. I think that carnauba generally leaves a more mellow finish than a synthetic. Personally, I like a really bright white, so I go with a synthetic.

Please let us know what you decided to use and the results you achieved.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:09 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

Art is correct if you have never clayed your car its a must, i did mine last year and then i use wet obsession wax! my car's paint is like glass,went to car show that night and the was another mustang there in the same color.looking at the 2 side by side you could see the difference in color! Its worth the time!
Old 04-10-2013, 01:12 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Art and Charlie are spot on...even if the car is brand new from ordering it or from dealer stock it has been sitting and most likely outside for a period of time. Also if stored at the manufacturer it can and will get rail dust, industrial fallout, bird droppings, acid rain etc that will oxidize in the paint that needs to be removed!. Clay bar after a good alkaline bath is a great idea for any car before the paint cleaning or waxing process!