Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

For those of you who've lowered your rides....

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:48 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Mine is lowered 1.5" with H&R Race springs and Koni "Yellows" and I would not think twice. The shocks/struts made the bigger difference performance-wise, so if you're not interested in how it looks, at least get those. Big difference on the track when I run it. My instructor (drives a Porsche GT3) was giving big compliments on how powerful and fast the car felt, (and most importantly) as well how well the car handled (for a muscle car).

Reducing that wheel gap and having wheels that sit flush with the fenders has such a massive visual impact that it's impossible to ignore. I look at my car as I'm walking away. I get compliments daily just pulling up to the pump. I still have a hard time believing I have a car that looks this good, and I can say that lowering it makes the biggest difference.

Edit: I will say the only downside is going over big bumps. I don't mind, but when you go over a big enough bump that your car feels airborne and your rear passenger hits their head really hard on the roof and swears, it might be a bit much. Whatever, I'm deleting the rear seats anyways.

Last edited by CMcNam; 08-09-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:07 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

HOPE YOU'VE INSTALLED AN ADJUSTABLE PANHARD BAR DUDE.
wont handle properly without one
Old 08-10-2013, 08:09 AM
48prerunner
2nd Gear Member

I'd say depends on your roads, my commute is 40 miles one way and it's fine good roads, I just got back from Right Coast Nationals and road home sucked thought it was going to shake the car apart. I have roush springs with Koni shocks and struts, lowered 3/4 to an 1". I also changed the rear bump stops to the ford motorsport ones. Also depends on what size sidewall you have I switched to 45 up front and 40 rear on 18s that more than lowering changed the ride less flex than the stock 18s. Ride is firm handles great, would I do it again? on my roads yes if I had to run NY 17 from Liberty to Bighamton every day no way.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

I lowered 1" with Ford springs & Koni STR's, I love the new ride & the new stance. I also swapped out the control arms and sway bars though.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:49 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Its really going to depend on your wheel & tire combo + New shocks vs stock. I have sportline springs which is pretty much as low as you can go with springs and I don't mind the ride at all and that's with 20" wheels on 35 rubber. But its really going to be up to you.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:00 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Lower it get rid of the gap and trash the entire suspension. Everything must be replaced.Name:  Slammed1quot2013_zps13d2d84f.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  75.0 KB
Don't go too low or with too small a diameter wheel or it'll look like a skateboard.

Last edited by VistaBlueFrank68; 08-10-2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Warning too low and you can't Limbo!
Old 08-12-2013, 04:03 PM
thuxel
2nd Gear Member

Think about changing out the tie rods after you lower it. After lowering mine my tie rods seemed like they were binding up making a clanking sound. I went with the Steeda Bumpsteer kit.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:20 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by VistaBlueFrank68
Lower it get rid of the gap and trash the entire suspension. Everything must be replaced.
That's pretty much my M.O. with my cars.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:22 AM
C. Love
1st Gear Member

lowered mine alot--3 inches or so via coilover. Also replaced pan hard bar, rear upper link, lateral links and sway bars. Except for the occasional clank from the panhard bar support bar meeting the exhaust all is well, even after some hard driving. Car feels less like a boat in a storm during spirited street driving and feels very good during track days.

Is it excessively lowered-probably but don't care looks way better . So far no bumpsteer and no bumpsteer kit
Old 08-13-2013, 07:32 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I've had lowered Mustangs, and I've lowered several for friends and club members....ranging in ages from 20's to 50's. Only responses I've received back were how happy they were with everything, and how they wish they would have done it sooner.

Of course, it also depends on exactly how low you go with your car. I try to stick around 1.5" (Eibach Pro-kit).

Quick Reply: For those of you who've lowered your rides....